WORLD CUP 3 ADMINISTRATIVE DECISIONS.

I understand the hosts are doing their best and I commend them for that. However, I just can't be silent after this first week of world cup. Several decisions have been made that had led to possibly the least competitive event I have ever seen in this game:

• In an effort to give everyone a chance to play, this event will last 2 extra week. Meaning some countries will have two teams representing them while others only get one team. Meaning every team gets a hype killer week where they do nothing and watch others play.
  • In an effort to give everyone a chance to play, countries will be forced to play in 6 tiers, including a showdown tier that very few people actually care to compete in. Considering several countries already struggle finding players in regular official pokemmo tiers, adding the burden of an extra tier, an outdated one, is such a joke. 
  • In an effort to give everyone a chance to play, we end up with competitors that have no clue what they are doing; rapidash + butterfree teams on top of lvl 39 mons. 

It may be too late to change anything, but I am speaking up now, so that at least when a future event get hosted, the same mistakes are not made again.

31 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I understand the hosts are doing their best and I commend them for that. However, I just can't be silent after this first week of world cup. Several decisions have been made that had led to possibly the least competitive event I have ever seen in this game:

• In an effort to give everyone a chance to play, this event will last 2 extra week. Meaning some countries will have two teams representing them while others only get one team. Meaning every team gets a hype killer week where they do nothing and watch others play.
  • In an effort to give everyone a chance to play, countries will be forced to play in 6 tiers, including a showdown tier that very few people actually care to compete in. Considering several countries already struggle finding players in regular official pokemmo tiers, adding the burden of an extra tier, an outdated one, is such a joke. 
  • In an effort to give everyone a chance to play, we end up with competitors that have no clue what they are doing; rapidash + butterfree teams on top of lvl 39 mons. 

It may be too late to change anything, but I am speaking up now, so that at least when a future event get hosted, the same mistakes are not made again.

I'm on your side of the fence GB, and I'm speaking here purely from perspective of a player from Poland team (I'm addressing points 2 & 3, point 1 doesn't concern me).

I am the only smou player for Poland, even though my main aim during my signup was to get rid of rust after being dead for over a year in PokeMMO. Because of that, I'm pretty much forced to play SMOU as I'm the only player capable of doing this in my entire team (which in fact, consists of only 7 people- because Spiros is dead and it doesn't appear like this will change anytime soon- so we got pretty much 0 space to rotate). One of two main reasons why I signed up for World Cup- my willingness to get back into MMO meta- is now dead and I most seriously doubt that anyone from my team would like to learn a dead meta. So yeah, gen7 OU is outdated as hell, I could understand even VGC as it's an officially recognized format, maybe gen8 ou, hell even metronomes or randoms. Anything that's not outdated unless it's DPP (Nik best DPP player 4ever).

For the third point, I'm more than sure that admins wanted to promote competitive play and help us, but this pulled side effects- players who do not give a single fuck, signing up for a country and just being dead. It's not about bringing shit mons, it's about signing up because the thread was featured and visible on forums and expecting I don't really know what. So I most honestly wouldn't blame hosts for that, those are just unpredicted side effects.

Also, it would be really cool to be a bit more transparent. If @MathewMat wouldn't put an effort to contact me and tell me what and how and whom... At least I know whom would make a great candidate for future PSL host

• 2 weeks later...

MonkeyDMathewToday at 10:41 PM

@everyone Mago And Badbaar Have resigned from hosts. I will be the main host from now on. So we will go on with world cup. i am looking for some co-hosts to help me host, as i still work on a weekly basis and help will be needed so if your interested in helping me host let me know in dm. As for the Africa vs Columbia decision on Joral ive talked to Julian about this, And the decision was made by the 3 hosts so the point will stand for Africa but i will unban jorel and let him play in the world cup. As for Mago and badbaar they are family to me so show them with respect, Thank you Have a fun world cup

16 minutes ago, WorldCupMMO said:

MonkeyDMathewToday at 10:41 PM

@everyone Mago And Badbaar Have resigned from hosts. I will be the main host from now on. So we will go on with world cup. i am looking for some co-hosts to help me host, as i still work on a weekly basis and help will be needed so if your interested in helping me host let me know in dm. As for the Africa vs Columbia decision on Joral ive talked to Julian about this, And the decision was made by the 3 hosts so the point will stand for Africa but i will unban jorel and let him play in the world cup. As for Mago and badbaar they are family to me so show them with respect, Thank you Have a fun world cup

Literally me rn:

ggez.jpg.aedf055460b9628a6b47a9fca966ae9e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Few announcements from our side.

1. For groups B and C we will create separate small brackets without the teams that left. In case of a tie between teams- which is unlikely, but still, we can use the original bracket with scores against the teams which left as a tiebreaker.

2. There will be a new rule which will not allow showdown players to use mod chat. If they want, they can mute the spectators. Mod chat will be forbidden from the next week on.

3. Last and most important, we all agree that the situation which had occurred during the Nik vs Starmind match is disgusting and we have reviewed the rules. There is a rule 10, mentioned in this thread:

Spoiler

10.- Remember to keep good sportsmanship throughout the tournament. Do not cause unnecessary drama with other players, other teams or the hosts. An example of this may be harassing, personal insults or any such behavior deemed illegal in the rules of PokeMMO. Violating good sportsmanship may cause one week of suspension. If any player receives up to 3 weeks of suspension will be automatically expelled from this event and will not receive any kind of money If their team reaches both the semi finals or finals.

And it describes what kind of unwanted behavior will be punished and from next week onwards, we will be enforcing this rule should any players PM us about excessive insulting, racism or anything else which is forbidden by MMO Code of Conduct. Re-read the CoC if you must. Shittalking is fine, but a lot of people are going way too far with it, especially towards a certain group of people who absolutely do not deserve it, based on their competitive spirit.

Should any player notice exceedingly racist, heavily insulting or any other behavior described in CoC as unwanted, please PM @DarylDixon or @MathewMat or @RysPicz with a screenshot.

Lastly, we are terribly sorry and we would like to apologize to Chinese players for the situation that has happened yesterday. We promise to monitor such behavior and there will be consequences should something like this repeat.

/4f

Spoiler

gonna make a post here as well just in case

1 hour ago, WorldCupMMO said:

1. For groups B and C we will create separate small brackets without the teams that left. In case of a tie between teams- which is unlikely, but still, we can use the original bracket with scores against the teams which left as a tiebreaker.

Reveal hidden contents

gonna make a post here as well just in case

edit: well let's just hope there is no ties

Edited by athelstan
whatever
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

The group stage has officially ended. All matches were updated, where we received info about any attempts of contact- we gave activity wins. Where there was no information about the match whatsoever and if it wouldn't affect the standings, we marked the match as No Contest.

I need to apologize to you guys as I made a really big fuckup in the post where I listed the teams which will advance into playoffs. My biggest apology goes to Venezuela B players- I'm terribly sorry guys, due to the fact that Rest of Asia has won their week, they jumped on the 1st place, pushing 2 other teams beneath them (Set wins tiebreaker). I'm really, really sorry about this mistake and it's all on me, I should've done a simulation earlier to see this coming. MM has messaged me about it when I was sleeping and I've contacted the Captains on the Discord right after I woke up.

image.png.a143f56f4e8ef998f2baa73950161667.png

This is the correct playoffs bracket. The delay in posting the week is due to the mistake I made, as we would like to give more time to Argentina, Belgium and China A to alter their lineups if they wish.

Once again, I'm really sorry for that stupid mistake. I got no excuses.

Finally, due to the fact that group stage is over, we will be handing over invidivual prizes in the following cathegories:

Best OU

Best UU

Best NU

Best Doubles

Best LC

Best SMOU

Breakout Player

MVP

And 4 mystery cathegories which we decided to throw in for various reasons. You'll know what we're talking about when they will be announced.

These will be announced and handed over probably during the weekend.

Playoffs round 1 will begin as soon as we will receive all lineups from Captains.

Spoiler

making a post in here as well because iMat is a nub

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.