Farm Elite Four

If your goal is money and BP then you're better off doing something else. Gyms and rebattling trainers gives more money than E4 and PvP gives more BP. Even if you don't like PvP Battle Tower is loads better.

If you really want to fight the E4 then there are two ways to go about it (at least from what I tested). A hyper offensive team that can beat the E4 in 30 minutes or a slow and bulky team that can beat it it 50 minutes. The first team uses a lot more potions which means less profit but faster and the second team is slower but uses less potions for more profit. I use a bulky team.

When trying to make your own team you should pick one or two pokemons then build a team around them.

As an example I'll talk about my team. Chansey and Skarmory are the core members of my team, without them my team falls apart. Chansey is a great SpDef wall while Skarmory is a good Def wall, they both compliment each other, at least in terms of stats. But what about type? Chansey is weak against fighting moves and Skarmory is weak against fire and electric moves. So my next pokemon should be something that's strong to those type. I picked Chandelure because it's immune to fighting moves and with Flash Fire it's also immune to fire moves. Now I just need to worry about electric type. I chose Krookodile because it's both immune to electric and psychic moves. I still have room for two more pokemons so I might as well make my team resist all types. The only type that's unresisted is water so I would want a pokemon with Water Absorb or Storm Drain or water, grass or dragon type to resist it. I used Ferrothorn. As my the last slot I had the option to make my team more defensive or use a fast and strong pokemon to OHKO the opposing team. I used Salamence because it has Intimidate and strong enough to OHKO things.

This is where I tell you that you shouldn't just copy my team because you still need to know how to use it. That's why it's better to make your own team so you know what its weakness is. Don't expect to beat the E4 consistently on your first try. They have a huge pool of teams to choose from and you might encounter a team where you might not know what to do. It has taken me a long time to find a strategy that works for me and I'm still refining it as I go, and that's part of the fun.