[Basic Mini Guide] Introduction to Determining the Best Nature for your Pokemon

Recently, I've been seeing a lot of questions in game asking what the best nature is on a pokemon. The problem with this is that this is all dependent on what you want that

pokemon to do. So not every pokemon can just get a straight answer, thus why no one bothers to respond. So I decided to make a quick little guide to show people a ROUGH

way of how I narrow down the choices of natures for pokemon.

Or just use Smogon ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1. Picking the Pokemon you want to train.

121.gifStarmie

I'm using Starmie for this guide because it's pretty easy to determine which nature and EVs you should train for it.

2. What's the best nature?

The first thing you want to look at when determining the best nature is what Starmie's best and worst base stats are. Usually, you want to take advantage of their best stats,

don't try and make up for what they lack, it's not worth it.

gv6zj.png

You see that Starmie's best stats are Sp. Attack[100] and Speed[115]. So that means you'll want to take advantage of either it's high speed or high Sp. Attack. I would use either a Timid[+Speed -Attack] or Modest[+Sp. Attack -Attack].

Why?

Starmie's Moves List

With that high Sp. Attack, you'll want to use mostly if not all special moves. So having a nature that is -Attack doesn't do harm at all. Plus, using physical attacks with Starmie is pointless because a base 75 attack is bad. Also, you shouldn't sacrifice Defense or Sp Defense if you don't have to. So that eliminates Mild[+Sp Attack - Defense] Rash[+Sp Attack - Sp Defense] Hasty[+Speed - Defense] and Naive[+Speed - Sp. Defense].

That leaves Timid, Modest, Jolly[+Speed -Sp. Attack] and Quiet[+Sp. Attack -Speed]. The problem with Jolly and Quiet is, they both are minus in Starmie's important stats. You never want to have a Nature that hinders their greatest stats. So the optimal natures are Timid and Modest.

So which one?!?!!!111

That depends on the person and how much time they are willing spend trying to find the perfect Starmie. Personally I think the ideal Starmie is Timid, simply because speed is it's highest base stat. Some will catch Starmies until they find a Timid one. The problem though, is the troll IVs.

(╯°口°)╯︵┻━┻

You can catch a Timid Starmie, which is great, but then you Check its IVs,and it can have very low speed IVs. On the other hand, you can find a Modest Starmie, check it's IVs, and it can have very high, if not perfect speed IVs. It all just depends on how much time you're willing to spend finding that perfect pokemon. If I spend 5 hours searching for a Timid Starmie with good IVs, and at the end of the 5th hour the best I got was a Modest with great IVs and a bunch of Timids with low IVs, I would train the Modest, because it takes advantage of a high stat, and can still be viable because of the high IVs.

This leads to which is more important; IVs or Nature, but that's a different topic

3. Go EV Train

Now that you have the pokemon you want, go EV train it. As, for what EVs to train, I usually just max it's 2 best stats. So 252 in Speed & 252 in Sp Attack. But that's always up for debate.

TL;DR

1) Pick you Pokemon

2) Look at it's base stats

3) Pick a nature that takes advantage of said stats

4) \( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀)/

5)

Smogon.com

yes, insofar as picking natures that don't boost a pokemon's highest stats. for example bold is a great nature for blissey precisely because it has a pitiful defense stat compared to it's great hp and special defenses and because it nerfs blissey's rarely used attack stat. when porygon2 becomes available some people might select an adamant nature as opposed to a modest nature for a physical attacker set because it has a movepool that would allow for it, even though special attack is porygon2's highest base stat.

however you're always going to want to pick a nature that nerfs a stat you don't plan on utilizing.

Dragonite would be an example aswell. While it's atack stat is fairly high compared to the rest it does not mean that it is not suitable as a special atacker. Thanks to a big move-pool. It's a pokemon that can suprise in a competition quite well if you know what you are doing.

Good guide.

how 2 pokeman: poop edition

is a more accurate title

For someone who didn't grow up playing Pokemon this guide is helpful. Being ignorant and being a poop are two different things.

I myself never grew up playing Pokemon so when I first started playing PokeMMO I had to learn about Base stats, IVs and EVs and in turn that knowledge helped me figure out which natures would be good for a specific pokemon.

• 3 weeks later...