Team Overhaul

SterlingStryke

Question

Dear Gizmo: If you are reading this take the following into account. This is a fairly long post with multiple ideas within it (since it is overhauling a feature of the game). If you have time to read this, great! If not, I understand you have a busy schedule.

General Idea

What this topic is all about is improving the team function. Although I think this a great part of the MMO I (personally) see it as unfinished.

The topic will cover the following and how to implement it.

- Ban list/Open Team chats

- Allies/Enemies

- New ranks (some for vanity and felxibility)

Ideas from community:

- Add a selective guests button so guests have to be approved before joining (Provided by Giygas)

- Add Team vs Team battles which would be a multibattle involving two teams (Provied by ItzPrado)

Ban List and Team chats

My ideas for changing the team chat would work like this. There would now be a few options for who can access you team chats

1. Members only (currently only one available ingame)

2. Members and allies (pretty self-explanatory and see the next topic to learn more about Allies. Another reason is communicating with an ally would be very very hard without this function)

3. Anyone (this would mean anyone who knew your team name could do something along the lines of "/j insernamehere". It is also good to allwo guests to see what gooes on in your team)

Now for the ban list. Kicking and banning would be two seperate functions, the former to (not so politely) remove someone from your team but still allow access to the team chat (if the setting was active). A player on the ban list would not be able to join your team chat no matetr what the setting was on. This would be useful for a person on an allied team who was troublesome but the team as a whole was nice.

Allies and Enemies

Now I get what you're all thinking, why would we need allies an enemies? To be totally honest the reasons I see for them are communication and competition.

To ally another team it would be similar to inviting someone to your team. You would type the name in and invite them. The highest qualifying member on the other team (woo another permission for a rank) would receive a message to accept or decline it (if nobody is available at the time an error message would return to the sender). Once allied, allied players' names would appear in a different colour. Allied players would also be able to join eachother's chats if the option was set on.

*Note: Player's from both teams would receive a message once the teams allied (upon joining the game if they are offline)

Adding another team as an enemy works in the same fashion as adding another team as an ally except you don't need the other team's permission. Upon adding a team as an enemy the other team will have an option to add them to theirs (if they have permission). If nobody with a high enough rank is on the "enemyship" is frozen until someone of the appropriate rank comes on. Upon logging in they will receive a message whether toaccept of decline. If accepted both teams will be informed the same way people are notified of becoming allies. If they decline only the sender's team will have them listed as an enemy but both teams will be notified in the same fashion (except the message will be changed to inform people which team did not accept). Once an enemy is on the list their names will appear as a seperate colour andwhen these people batlle a more humiliating message is posted by the system and each team is notified in their chat (this is for people with system messages off).

Unallying/Unenemyfying (or whatever you want to call it) would work very simply. A person with permissions to take them off the list can do so and both teams will be notified in a similar fashion as if the teams just became allies/enemies. However if a team removes an enemy the other team would have an option to keep the other team on theirs (Works in the same way as adding them).

Allied Chat (thank you deshar)

would be a temporary chat that could be opened by a team. that team could then invite an ally to it and if the ally accepts the team will now be in the ally chat. The only restriction for adding another team from that point on would be if they were mutual allies. If your team wanted to talk to Team Iron and Team Bushido but Bushido and Iron were not allies you could invite one to the ally chat but the other would not be able to join it. The ally chat would be closed once all allies left. By an ally I mean as a collective entity solets say officers had the permission to join and leave. Once joined the entire team would be subject to the chat.

You probably knew Global would be full of trolls, but it was implemented.

We associate September and other post-August players as being 100% poops for several reasons.

1) Thousands of people joined in September, many of which were Global/Trade spammers. We used to have actual conversations on Global, but with the September influx we lost our ability to communicate effectively in Global. The main appeal of PokeMMO back then was "It's Pokemon, but now you can play with other people!" With the loss of Global chat, a main piece of that appeal was also lost. We didn't have Team chat or Channel chat (or channels at all) back then, so it was too difficult to sift through the masses.

2) Building on the first point: Conversations could still be held in Global when September happened, but it would be short lived due to the amount of spam and other shit that would eventually flood the chat, especially during peak hours. It's easy to associate the amount of garbage that appeared in chat with the happening of September.

3) PokeMMO was popularized in September by websites such Reddit, tumblr, 9gag, etc. who are notorious for ruining things on the Internet. I shouldn't need to explain this one.

Are there exceptions to the wrath of September? Of course. I've made friends with tons of post-August people. We hate September because it was a horrible time to play PokeMMO. The magic was lost.

Well, it's not so much mine (Considering I'm October) but the post just happened to be fresh in my mind as you posted about trolls in Global chat.

Ah, right. I'm October too! We saved the game from Septemberuguu.

ERH!

As for the idea, it's great!

Support cookie!

cookie.png

I actually kind of like this idea. As cirno said, there would probably be troll teams going around annoying people.

Maybe have an option of "allow guests", an option of "approve guests", and an option of "no guests"

To address your concerns with guests, the anyone button would be for well... anyone, this includes guests. The members only/allies options would disallow guests. As for approving them, I love the idea. I will go edit this and some other stuff when I feel less lazy.

@Cirno: That is a rather selfish and immature way for the person to think. I'm so sorry he/she had to SHARE their game from September and on.

OT: I think the main reason Teams feel incomplete is because Teams have no real way of interacting with each other. This Ally/Enemy concept won't exactly bring that feeling of completeness, but it will certainly curb everyone's appetite. A little drama brought by this system will be great with the kids, too. (13 and under) ^^

Maybe having a convoluted Team versus Team would finish up the Team concept?

2. Members and allies (pretty self-explanatory and see the next topic to learn more about Allies. Another reason is communicating with an ally would be very very hard without this function)

Interesting idea, but I can see some problems with the ally chat.

Each Team would have a different set of allies so there is a complication there.

Although I may be mistaken on what you mean by Ally chat, you say it's pretty self-explanatory but I can think of atleast two ways this can be done and both are different from each other by a mile. Could you please thurther explain what kind of chat system you're suggestiong with regards to Ally chats?

Ah I see, so a Team chat that allies can talk in.

Then I have a question, in the Team (Ally) Chat, if a Team was allied to two other Teams but those teams were not Allied to each other, would those teams be able to see each others messages in the Chat despite not being allied?

Okay I'm not quite sure you understand, totally.

What would happen is there would be your regular teamchat which an alliy could join individually (if the option was on) and the team chat would remain the same except there would now be a guest participating in the teach chat.

Your question sparked a second idea which would bbe an allied chat. This would be a temporary chat that could be opened by a team. that team could then invite an ally to it and if the ally accepts the team will now be in the ally chat. The only restriction for adding another team from that point on would be if they were mutual allies. If your team wanted to talk to Team Iron and Team Bushido but Bushido and Iron were not allies you could invite one to the ally chat but the other would not be able to join it. The ally chat would be closed once all allies left. By an ally I mean as a collective entity solets say officers had the permission to join and leave. Once joined the entire team would be subject to the chat.

Okay I'm not quite sure you understand, totally.

What would happen is there would be your regular teamchat which an alliy could join individually (if the option was on) and the team chat would remain the same except there would now be a guest participating in the teach chat.

How would an ally join the Team Chat? Invite? If so, how would the invite system work? Would they need to be invited each time or would they be able to chat there everytime they were online? How would they differenciate another teams chat from their own teams chat as they would be the same colour? What if they were invited to multiple allies Team chats? Would they only be allowed to join one at a time or both at once? How would the differenciate the different chats further if they were the same colour?

Sorry if this seems abit intrusive, but I'd like to know what it is exactly that you are suggesting with regards to Team Chats with an Ally invite option.

Ban List and Team chats

My ideas for changing the team chat would work like this. There would now be a few options for who can access you team chats

1. Members only (currently only one available ingame)

3. Anyone (this would mean anyone who knew your team name could do something along the lines of "/j insernamehere". It is also good to allwo guests to see what gooes on in your team)

Now for the ban list. Kicking and banning would be two seperate functions, the former to (not so politely) remove someone from your team but still allow access to the team chat (if the setting was active). A player on the ban list would not be able to join your team chat no matetr what the setting was on. This would be useful for a person on an allied team who was troublesome but the team as a whole was nice.

What I mean is a new button will be put in the team options. This will allow guests or allies to join your chat with a simple command like "/j iron" if your setting allows them

What I mean is a new button will be put in the team options. This will allow guests or allies to join your chat with a simple command like "/j iron" if your setting allows them

How would they differenciate another teams chat from their own teams chat as they would be the same colour? What if they joined to multiple allies Team chats? Would they only be allowed to join one at a time or both at once? How would the differenciate the different chats further if they were the same colour?

These questions still apply, I bolded the part I changed in my questions to fit that you'd join rather then be invited.

Oh okay, they would only be able to join one other team chat at a time. they would have to do something along te lines of "/l iron" to leave it and be able to join another chat. As for beig the same colour I think it would be possible for devs to make the colour for guests different.

*cough* look at your recruitment thread *cough*