RENT POKEMON FROM GTL

PokeManiacMoe

Question

5 hours ago, shiningluck said:

You don't even know how great the demands of new players asking for this in trade chat everyday, just because you don't know anything about their language, clear? 

Man, I speak German, English, Spanish, Italian, some Portuguese and some French and I never read anything about this topic... maybe you are assuming this basing on your own language, having therefore a partial view of the whole thing: the fact that you saw this trend in your region does not mean that people of other regions share the same point of view, as proved by the only 2 votes this suggestion received.

24 minutes ago, lallo17 said:

I never read anything about this topic...

Man, Actually there are many players In PokeMMO who Ask For rent.

I saw many players doing so.

Even I was asked many times.

So Its not correct.

New trainers mostly appears in whisper not in channel chat or in trade chat. They just see a trainer and ask for help.

8 hours ago, shiningluck said:

Try to think thoroughly before typing those funny things to me, how are you going to rent if not open the GTL page? And what exactly the current requirement for that accessibility? If you don't even know, go somewhere else and stop wasting my time.

You don't even know how great the demands of new players asking for this in trade chat everyday, just because you don't know anything about their language, clear? 

For tournament, keh, do they even need that for the fact that they got their own like full boxes of comps already, that's your own silly thought only. 

The difficulty? Again, that's only true to your own, not for the news, because if they feel the same, they don't have to ask for this in the first place. This demands invites supplies, simply that. 

I agree that the game is difficult to new players who have only played the vanilla games or the newer ones (the easiest imo), but let's put the things into their perspective tho:

Imagine that you just started the game in Sinnoh, everything is fine until you get to the first gym and get rekt cuz your lvl 9 Chimchar can't deal with the Rock gym. Then you have 4 options:

1) Go and grind some more levels until your Chimchar reach something like lvl 15 or you have a better prepared team. 

2) Open the Gtl and rent a lvl 20 Pokémon. You sweep the rock gym and go on with the adventure until the rent pokémon gets overthrown by NPCs with stronger pokémon or the time for renting the said mon expires and you stay with your underlevel Chimchar and maybe not enough money to rent another one.

3) Open the GTL and buy a lvl 20 Pokémon. The scenario it's the same as if you rent a pokémon except when you buy it you will keep it forever and it'll gain EXP, and at the same price (maybe).

4) Join a team/Go into the Channel chat and state that you are in the need of help. In that situation someone may help you...

Or you die ignored.

TL;DR: We don't need the rental pokémon system because the GTL is basically better. 

postdata: Someone defeated the Unova E4 with 4 Spindas, so just git gud.

10 hours ago, shiningluck said:

Try to think thoroughly before typing those funny things to me, how are you going to rent if not open the GTL page? And what exactly the current requirement for that accessibility? If you don't even know, go somewhere else and stop wasting my time.

For tournament, keh, do they even need that for the fact that they got their own like full boxes of comps already, that's your own silly thought only. 

The difficulty? Again, that's only true to your own, not for the news, because if they feel the same, they don't have to ask for this in the first place. This demands invites supplies, simply that. 

Ok this is beyond dumb.

First off one thing isnt related to another if they want they can apply restrictions anywhere they wish.

Second, not everyone has my play time to have random stuff like 9 metagross, or 11 gyarados to cover plenty of sets that might interest me given xyz situation.

Third, yes the difficulty is so low that @XelaKebert almost beat the game with 6 spindas with random nature and ivs. (He has videos showing proof of his accomplishments somewhere on the forum).

I beat it using the starter, hm slave and 4 dittos, goddamn such a hard game right? Our IQ must be through the roof for us to beat such a hard game.

6 hours ago, lallo17 said:

Man, I speak German, English, Spanish, Italian, some Portuguese and some French and I never read anything about this topic... maybe you are assuming this basing on your own language, having therefore a partial view of the whole thing: the fact that you saw this trend in your region does not mean that people of other regions share the same point of view, as proved by the only 2 votes this suggestion received.

And since when did the votes affect the decision of the devs, I'm talking about the biggest community in this game, and unluckily, you're not and can never be a part of it.

2 hours ago, Ultrajesus said:

I agree that the game is difficult to new players who have only played the vanilla games or the newer ones (the easiest imo), but let's put the things into their perspective tho:

Imagine that you just started the game in Sinnoh, everything is fine until you get to the first gym and get rekt cuz your lvl 9 Chimchar can't deal with the Rock gym. Then you have 4 options:

1) Go and grind some more levels until your Chimchar reach something like lvl 15 or you have a better prepared team. 

2) Open the Gtl and rent a lvl 20 Pokémon. You sweep the rock gym and go on with the adventure until the rent pokémon gets overthrown by NPCs with stronger pokémon or the time for renting the said mon expires and you stay with your underlevel Chimchar and maybe not enough money to rent another one.

3) Open the GTL and buy a lvl 20 Pokémon. The scenario it's the same as if you rent a pokémon except when you buy it you will keep it forever and it'll gain EXP, and at the same price (maybe).

4) Join a team/Go into the Channel chat and state that you are in the need of help. In that situation someone may help you...

Or you die ignored.

TL;DR: We don't need the rental pokémon system because the GTL is basically better. 

postdata: Someone defeated the Unova E4 with 4 Spindas, so just git gud.

You missed something very important: when can you use the GTL, remember? 

--> even for newbies, they still have to grind a bit before they can unlock that. That's enough of a short duration for them to understand a bit about this game, whenever they are able to unlock the GTL, things speed up if this idea come into reality, and that's benefical for both sides

58 minutes ago, razimove said:

Ok this is beyond dumb.

First off one thing isnt related to another if they want they can apply restrictions anywhere they wish.

Second, not everyone has my play time to have random stuff like 9 metagross, or 11 gyarados to cover plenty of sets that might interest me given xyz situation.

Third, yes the difficulty is so low that @XelaKebert almost beat the game with 6 spindas with random nature and ivs. (He has videos showing proof of his accomplishments somewhere on the forum).

I beat it using the starter, hm slave and 4 dittos, goddamn such a hard game right? Our IQ must be through the roof for us to beat such a hard game.

Even if you or whoever beats the game with 6 Magikarps or else, that would be a thousand years too soon to surprise me, so, there's no proud in that at all, point is, again, you are in no position to represent for other players, you don't like or don't need it, gud, go somewhere else and ignore this, 'cuz I'm helping those who are in need, not the likes of you.

Play time doesn't matter really, my playtime is like 600 hours and buying boxes of the things you mentioned above won't even flinch me a bit, it's a matter of "how", not "how long".

The amount of nonsense I'm seeing here is making my head spin. I have no idea who supports the idea or not let alone their reasons for their particular stance.

To add clarity, yes, I did beat all 8 gyms in Unova with 6 Spinda. It still took a ton of grinding and I did have some help optimizing the team for certain fights and some coaching for a couple fights. It was stupidly more difficult than using a regular team. If anyone else wants to try their own challenge, by all means, but I fail to see how my stupid meme of a run really factors into this suggestion at all other than to be like, "Look, he almost beat Unova with 6 Spinda game is stupid easy."

That being said, this suggestion really does not work at all considering level caps are a thing. It may seem trivial to make it work with level caps, but you have to factor in that the caps are not consistent across the board. Not to mention you do still need 4 badges to be able to access the GTL. By the time you have 4 badges you should, ideally, have a decent feel for how the AI operates. If you don't then you aren't paying attention at all. The AI is more likely to make certain moves at the same point or under the same conditions every time with minimal deviation. This is something you can see in the videos for my Spinda run, more specifically with the battles against Skyla.

In order for this idea have any form of usability you have to allow everyone to access this feature regardless of how many badges they have. There is no lower limit on when players start to get stuck in the storyline. Some have trouble with the first badge while others struggle with the second; it's all subjective. The only conditions that should prevent access are having not beaten your rival immediately after getting your starter and any other pre-journey tasks, Oak's Parcel in Kanto for example.

A hang up on this is making it work for Yen. If you want to do rentals in this manner, it would have to be on a collateral system. Renter essentially has to give up something from their team to borrow from you. This is where this whole system falls apart. With value being a subjective thing, different species are valued differently based on different factors and no all players value those factors in the same manner, the collateral would have to be something of equivalent value to the renter. Which adds more complexity to the design.

If this were to work off of Yen, how would you propose rentals work? If the suggestion is to simply pay a flat fee to rent the Pokemon then what makes this any different from just using the GTL proper to purchase something? I suppose you could add time limits to the rental, but what happens if time runs out? Pay the fee again? Would you do a recurring fee based on days the rental is in a player's possession? To a further point, reclamation of rentals by the the owner is another issue that should be addressed.

This isn't to say it's a bad idea by any means, but more to point out that there is very little thought into this system. I'm not one to say that this could or could not work. Rentals are already a thing in Battle Frontier if I recall correctly, but that runs on a different system. However, maybe that could be a better method of addressing this topic.

What if, instead of using the GTL, an NPC offered a rental based on progression? Nothing crazy, but the Pokemon offered could be setup to have some utility specific to that gym and they return after you beat the gym or when you log out. Food for thought.

Edited by XelaKebert
8 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

If this were to work off of Yen, how would you propose rentals work? If the suggestion is to simply pay a flat fee to rent the Pokemon then what makes this any different from just using the GTL proper to purchase something? I suppose you could add time limits to the rental, but what happens if time runs out? Pay the fee again? Would you do a recurring fee based on days the rental is in a player's possession? To a further point, reclamation of rentals by the the owner is another issue that should be addressed.

This has been addressed. Rental Pokemon are marked by the system and once the time limit ends the Pokemon will automatically be sent back to GTL where they can await more rentals or back to the owner. The devs will have to decide on whether this can be feasible because I do not know how programming works.

Its a flat fee and it is very different from GTL. In GTL, like there is a Pokemon section and an item section, there is a rental section. Pay a flat fee and rent a Pokemon. The Pokemon will not gain any exp/EV while under your possession. They cannot be used for breeding or for comp. They simply exist to make the story easier for newbies/alts and so on. 

8 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

What if, instead of using the GTL, an NPC offered a rental based on progression? Nothing crazy, but the Pokemon offered could be setup to have some utility specific to that gym and they return after you beat the gym or when you log out. Food for thought.

Sounds like a good idea. If a couple people can give valuable insight on how this could possibly work, then we can work out the kinks and have a proper proposal for the devs to consider instead of attacking each other. 

9 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

If you want to do rentals in this manner, it would have to be on a collateral system. Renter essentially has to give up something from their team to borrow from you. This is where this whole system falls apart. With value being a subjective thing, different species are valued differently based on different factors and no all players value those factors in the same manner, the collateral would have to be something of equivalent value to the renter. Which adds more complexity to the design.

There is no need for it to be a collateral system because the AI/system ensures the safety of the Pokemon, like I said earlier. Once again, the devs will have to give insight on whether this is feasible. 

9 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

In order for this idea have any form of usability you have to allow everyone to access this feature regardless of how many badges they have. There is no lower limit on when players start to get stuck in the storyline. Some have trouble with the first badge while others struggle with the second; it's all subjective.

I am inclined to agree. But seeing as the rental system would cost money, we would then need to incorporate options where even newbies have a chance to make money. That will be very tricky. 

16 hours ago, shiningluck said:

go somewhere else and ignore this, 'cuz I'm helping those who are in need, not the likes of you.

We're not going anywhere and ignoring even the less, we're here to prevent a good game we love and on which we spent time and efforts from becoming a complete scum because some people can't accomplish tasks that even childern in the '90 were capable of.

Seems that this topic isn't being discussed very peacefully, so I'll clear something up to keep it on track.

This sort of system isn't suitable for the storyline. If someone is having trouble with a gym, their best option if they're too lazy to grind will still be to buy something cheap in their level range.

If we were to ever do a rental system, it would likely have a more significant fee to list the mon than selling it would have, particularly since rentals as a whole would reduce the number of sales of breeders and competitives. This would make the feature largely unusable for storyline players (except possibly for the Elite Four), as it wouldn't end up being profitable for the owner to rent out their trash compared to just selling it. Any kind of rental system would end up being tailored largely to PvP or the more difficult endgame PvE content that players struggle to do with their story teams.

If they can't access the GTL yet, people stuck at early-game gyms can still ask for help from other players if they don't want to train. Renting via the GTL would almost certainly still require badges since much of the point of restricting it to 4+ is to make players actually play the game for a while instead of breezing their way through it as soon as they have 1k.

These are my own thoughts on the topic. Please don't take it as a confirmation of anything.

Thank you for your input. I don't really care if this feature comes into existence or not. It sounded like a good idea hence I supported it and the counter-arguments that I received were not convincing enough to stop me from supporting. Hopefully more people can refine this idea to make it fit into the game through sane discussions instead of insulting each other. Cheers.