[PRL] PokeMMO Royal League - New Era (Inactive)

awrawr.png

PokeMMO Royal League
New Era

Initial Tournament Result Topic: 

Spoiler

Public Discord Link: https://discord.gg/YuqcpNQ

Thanks to all of our community for supporting this event to this day! With a slight delay, we are back on the scene with our player-run league on PokéMMO. If you ever wanted to participate in canon-like Pokémon League in MMO environment, or you were a part of initial tournament of PRL and was itching for the fun to continue, here it is!  This event is not only for top-tier players! Regardless of your skill level you can hone your skills against strong trainers, you can learn and teach a thing or two to others, you can still win rewards as you go, it's all about getting better while having fun!

If you find anything here unanswered or you want to apply to participate in PRL, feel free to hop on our discord.

How Does It Work?

Spoiler

I want to challenge PRL!

Spoiler

So be it! As a challenging player, you will be registered as a Competitor. Ultimate goal of a Competitor is to rise above the rest and become the Champion!

• Collect 8 badges from Gym Leaders
  • Join Conference Tournaments
  • Winner of Conference Tournaments gets a chance to challenge Elite 4 then Champion.
  • Defend your title!

Register at our Public Discord https://discord.gg/YuqcpNQ

Details

Spoiler

Step 1 - Challenging GYMs:
 Players who register as Competitors, begin their journey by collecting a total of 8 different badges from players who are registered as Gym Leaders. They can be collected in any order, or from any leader you want. There will be more than 8 Gym Leaders available, so any combination of 8 badges will make you eglible for the next Pokémon League Conference! Gyms are active even during Conference Tournament, don't worry if you miss a Conference, you can continue working your way to the next one!

Step 2 - Participate in Pokémon League Conference:
 When enough time has passed and enough donations are gathered, next Pokémon League Conference will be announced. First 32 Competitors with 8 badges to register will battle their way to glory in a single elimination battle tournament. But way before this tournament begins, there will be 4 different Randomly Assigned Conditions (RAC) announced for that tournament. During this tournament, before you begin each battle, one of the 4 RACs will be randomly chosen for your battle, limiting the strategic options of participants. This allows participants to bring more skill into battle instead memorised meta-game plays. When a Competitor registers for a Conference, the Competitor's badges will be reset after the tournament, so in order to try again, fresh 8 badges has to be gathered. Otherwise, badges stay even after the tournament.

Step 3 - Challenging Elite 4 and Champion
 Once a Competitor wins his way through the Conference Tournament, he/she will be granted the chance to challenge Elite 4 members then the Champion. Those battles will be Best of 5 series in OU tier without any limitations. Should the Competitor win against at least one Elite 4 member but loses before dethroning the Champion, the Competitor can choose to become one of the Elite 4, removing the last member of previous Elite 4 from his/her position. But if the Competitor can win through all battles and then win against Champion, the Competitor becomes the new Champion and the previous Champion can decide to drop to Elite 4, or give up his/her position to attempt to win the throne back in next Conference.

Step 4 - Staying Worthy of the Title

When the conference is over, if the Competitor winning the Conference fails to dethrone the existing Champion, people who were members of Elite 4 at the beginning of Conference, can choose to declare those above "unworthy". If that happens, depending on his/her current position, the Elite 4 member can fight his/her way up to attempt to climb up in Elite 4 rank and possibly dethrone the Champion. This is considered a disrespectful behaviour though, so Elite 4 members should use this option in a responsible way if they find it absolutely necessary, not for selfish desires.

Step 5 - The Cycle Repeats

Once four steps above are completed and rewards are handed out, until the next Conference, all positions are fixed. And the challenge to get/keep the throne continues!

I want to be a PRL Gym Leader!

Spoiler

Well, sure! As a player registering as Gym Leader, your ultimate goal is to seek mutual improvement! To guide less experienced players, to test more experienced players!

• Find a Gym Theme and Badge Name for your Gym.
  • Open and Close your Gym as you wish to accept Competitor challenges.
  • Gain Competitive experience and teach others.

Details

Spoiler

The Requirements

The requirements to become a Gym Leader are simple.

• Having deeper understanding in Pokémon Battles than hitting super-effective moves. This will be tested when you apply to be a Gym Leader with a battle, the outcome doesn't matter as long as you prove that you know how Pokémon Battles work.
  • Having a starting budget. Gym Leader battles in PRL give 10k money to the winner, you may earn or lose money in the long run, but you should be prepared in case lose streaks strike you. This feature is to prevent abuse from both parties and Gym Leader position should not be seen as a source to milk Competitors for money by top-tier players. For Competitors there are more viable options to win money with power.

The Monotype and Themes

In PRL, Gym Leaders were never limited to monotype teams and will never be. Of course monotype themes are allowed but we encourage deeper themes that can educate less experienced players with more advanced things than basic type-matchups.

Good examples were shown in Initial tournament of PRL, as AQA managed to pull off an interestingly powerful triple-battle team with his cute signature Pokémon Mantyke, or Xigbaar went with a Trick Room theme which is dreaded for relatively less experienced players but can be dismantled when played carefully. Another example was Hagene who managed to gather everything he could find which would be called "Gimmick" in a single team and was declared first and last Grand Gym Leader for his success in testing challengers.

In the end, It's ultimately up to you, your Gym, your rules. Don't make it too complex but don't feel restricted!

Availability and Resignment

With our new Gym Coordination Center system in Discord, if you are unable to continue battles for any reason, you can close your Gym to challengers until you are ready to accept them again. Competitors will be able to check which Gyms are open using that system. Also you can resign from your Gym Leader position and re-apply whenever you feel like it, there are no restrictions for re-joining, Competitors who have earned your badge will keep it either way.

Gym Leadership is a Deep Topic!

That being said, I can't really provide every little detail here and turn this into a huuuge novel for every Gym Leader. These are the basics, but for any questions or doubts you may have, it's better to hop on Discord and ask me what's on your mind. If I get a lot of questions on same topic, I'll add it here for future Gym Leader candidates!

I am a Returning player to PRL!

Spoiler

Multiple things have changed! Most of those were planned at conclusion of initial tournament but there are more!
Also as I gain experience as an organizator, I'll keep trying to innovate what's not fun or a hassle to deal with.
For now the obvious changes are;

- There are no longer Google Spreadsheets holding any data for any of our processes. Everything will be in Discord trainer cards.
 - Granting badges is now fully controlled by Gym Leaders themselves from Discord.

- GYMs are permanently open, allowing PRL to stay fully active and fun at all phases.
 - GYM Leader Ladder is removed, now Gyms Cost 10k to challenge and reward 20k if you win.

- GYM Coordination Center system on Discord will help Competitors and Gym Leaders to meet each other easier.
 - GYM Battle formats will be publicly visible on GYM Coordination Center system to avoid confusion they cause on Competitors.
 - RACs are no longer a huge stress as a pool of 4 will be announced way before a Conference, and will be chosen from those pool of 4 only.
 - Reward system has changed to reward each step Competitors take to progress instead dumping everything on top-3 players.

- Conference tournaments will take much much shorter to conclude with single elimination, but they will happen much more often.

Rules

Spoiler

- Everything inside PRL for any participants will strictly stay inside boundaries of sportsmanship. Phrases such as "you suck", "gg noob", "ez", etc. or talking about someone using words similar to "smashed", "squashed", "bamboozled", "destroyed", "pwnt", etc. with intention of demeaning any participant will directly get you disqualified and send you out of the door. You may find your opponent poorly skilled, if you have nothing constructive to tell them, just give a "gg" and leave.

- Every official battle in PRL has to be played at Tournament-Mode, at Level 50 mark (No LC). Any matches played in any other platform than PokeMMO is not valid for PRL.

- For Gym Battles, Gym Leader can present his/her own rules, but these rules cannot prevent any Pokémon from being used. As example; "No Dunsparce", "No Water Mons", "No OU Mons", "No Wonder Guard" none of those rules can happen because they all strictly prevent one or more Pokémon from being used.

- Like in past, Drizzle + Swift Swim / Sand Stream + Sand Rush / Drought + Chlorophyll combinations in same team are banned during Conference Tournaments until a further notice.

Registration Fees?

Spoiler

There are no registration fees for Gym Leaders or Competitors. Also no fees for applying to Conference Tournaments, if you have 8 total badges you are in.

Challenging a Gym costs 10k, if you win, you get 20k. So basicly, winner of a Gym Battle wins 10k, simple rule of Pokémon universe.

Gym Leaders are usually at a disadvantage for following a theme or monotype, this system actually is designed to punish Gym Leaders making teams easy like 6 rattata youngster teams and to punish Competitors who brute force their way to a Gym by attempting 40 times.

On the other hand, it makes Gym Leaders' time worthwhile when dealing with a brute forcing Competitor, and it rewards Competitors who come prepared and be successful on first try without scouting teamsets and strategies of a Gym Leader.

What About Rewards?

Spoiler

The reward system has changed considerably to encourage players from all skill-levels to participate. Overall numbers have decreased but the rewarding is per-step basis now in fixed amounts. More donations means more Conferences instead bigger reward pools! Here is the way how money part works;

- Participating as a Gym Leader actively for a month will get you 100k from PRL prize pool every month.

- During Conference Tournament, every win in each round will reward you 50k from PRL prize pool.

- During Conference Tournament, winning finals will reward you 250k from PRL prize pool.

- At the end of Conference, before Elite 4 members can object to current Champion, players holding Elite 4 position will get 250k each.

- At the end of Conference, before Elite 4 members can object to current Champion, player holding Champion title will get 1m.

Assuming a perfect scenario, where a Competitor climbed from nothing to Champion without losing to a Gym Leader, he/she would have got 1,530,000$ in that Conference.
Assuming a scenario where a moderately-skilled Competitor has lost twice to Gym Leaders, and managed to get to top 8 before losing, he/she would have got 160,000$ in that Conference.

Running cost of such a Conference will be approximately 5m. So the Conferences can happen frequently where those small numbers add up and make every single participant feel rewarded! Also it will keep the overall organization from going stale.

Who are the Current Elite 4 and Champion?

Spoiler

Currently the title holders are;

Champion Suneet
Elite 4 kiwikidd

Elite 4 Guilleex

Elite 4 SweeTforU

Elite 4 Cali

Edited by PrincessDia
Shutdown
2 hours ago, guilleex said:

Hi, Lets have some fun,  Im ready

Ah! Elite 4 Guilleex! I couldn't contact you thru discord, I was looking for you. I'm glad that you are around here ^^

21 minutes ago, Xigbar said:

Can I be gym leader again?

Of course! Would be an honor ^^

Update!

All backend development is finished and tested to meet PRL quality standards. With that out of the way, GYM Leader applications will be open a bit earlier than Competitor applications, which is scheduled to happen tomorrow pretty much.

My Bellossom, Azalea will be in charge of a lot of stuff from now on, she has been through some harsh training to handle things properly. But Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning being a complicated topic in itself, I'm curious to see what kind of challenges this will bring and what kind of things it will make easier for all of us. I'll be constantly observing and improving on it as we go!

Also since multiple people asked, there will no application fees for any registration. This will be a permanently up thing, I want to preserve freedom of joining and leaving for everyone at any point they want.

Update!
Competitor applications will be open in a few minutes! Keep in mind New Era will be a bit different than before. I know there are more GYM Leaders that will sign up in near future but there are so few of them available right now.

Since there won't be deadline for any applications, we will take pace of things slower in New Era. If you see a Gym open and you wanna go for it you can, but there is no rush to collect 8 badges until next conference which will happen after things stabilize a bit.

This is basicly for preparing backends and trainer cards for Competitors.

Also remember Competitors will have to pay 10k before challenging a gym, and they will get 20k if they win according to procedure. Please follow procedures to avoid any complications that may arise.

Good luck all!

Hello, trainers! As you know I've been constantly looking to expand the Gym Leader roster for New Era. Even though all preparations are ready to start conference tournaments, our Gym Leader roster is far from enough to sustain it. Before I can begin PRL activities fully, I aim to have at least 14 active Gym Leaders.

Remember what makes PRL exist is community itself. Me yelling around and trying to promote PRL, or inviting people to run Gyms here will never be enough. If you all give me a hand about this, letting your teams & friends know, we will get there much faster!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Edited by PrincessDia
  • 2 weeks later...

(April-Fools 2020)
New Update!

- Now Competitors can use the chat command +summongymleader in any public discord channel to instantly summon a GYM Leader he/she haven't defeated yet. Works even if the GYM Leader is at work/school or just asleep.

- Competitors without 8 badges may get their empty badge slots in their trainer card infested with bug Pokémon. If infestation happens, existing badges or even the trainer card itself might get eaten.

- Now both GYM Leaders and Competitors will be forced to do an extensive roleplay session before a Gym Challenge because... well, because they can.

- Azalea has granted the power to kick/ban anyone including me from discord server if she feels like doing so.

Edited by PrincessDia
April-Fools Over
  • PrincessDia changed the title to [PRL] PokeMMO Royal League - New Era (Inactive)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.