RMT - Doubles: Sinnoh Sand Team

Hi everyone!

I haven't been nearly as active as I would have liked to have been when I joined PokeMMO, thanks to college, and now Sinnoh is out, I thought I would have a go at building a team in the new metagame! This will be the first team I aim to build in-game for competitive play in Doubles... Please be as critical as you can, as I don't want to go into the new metagame blind.

At A Glance

tyranitar.gifgarchomp.gifsalamence.gifferrothorn.gifrotom-wash.gifgengar.gif

Yes... It's your run-of-the-mill sand team, and for good reason. I knew I wanted to use Garchomp and Rotom-W now that they had been released, so what better way to use them than to improve upon my previous BW core idea of Tyranitar/Salamence/Ferrothorn! Gengar was added last to round out the team, providing a way to disrupt opposing set up strategies with an immunity to fake out and a fast taunt, among many other great attributes.

In Depth

tyranitar.gif

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry  
Ability: Sand Stream  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD  
Brave Nature  
IVs: ~0 Spe  
- Rock Slide  
- Crunch  
- Superpower / Low Kick
- Protect  

No real explanation needed, Tyranitar is here to set the weather and to be a rock for the rest of the team to be build upon *bad pun sorry*

Slow speed to have maximum guarantee of setting the weather, and Superpower for coverage. I'm using 252/252/4 spreads on every Pokemon to ease EV training.

garchomp.gif

Garchomp @ Life Orb / Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Dragon Claw  
- Earthquake  
- Rock Slide  
- Protect  

Everyone's favourite Pokemon. Able to do massive damage to just about anything, with the added bonus of Sand Veil. Garchomp is really a no-brainer. I'm a little torn between life orb and focus sash, as they both do wonders for Garchomp - I'm siding towards the life orb as it can rack up kills a lot faster that way.

salamence.gif

Salamence @ Dragon Gem  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid / Modest Nature  
- Draco Meteor  
- Hidden Power [Flying] / Tailwind 

- Fire Blast / Heat Wave

- Protect / Tailwind

I'm a little torn between speed control and coverage here. Tailwind would be fab for most of the Pokemon on the team (bar ferrothorn), and HP/Fire Blast provide much needed coverage for things like Hitmontop, Ferrothorn, Volcarona etc... I'm quite tempted to just go for 3 attacks + protect here and use speed control moves on other slots (i.e rotom/gengar) - what do you think?

ferrothorn.gif

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers / Occa Berry 
Ability: Iron Barbs  
Brave Nature  
IVs: ~0 Spe  
- Gyro Ball  
- Power Whip  
- Stealth Rock / Leech Seed
- Protect  

Bulk of the team. Ferrothorn is a great counter to opposing weather teams, and is just a fantastic Pokemon all around. Stealth Rock and Leech Seed are both great, although I'm favouring Stealth Rock due to the more offensive spread.

rotom-wash.gif

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Hydro Pump  
- Thunderbolt  
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave 
- Protect  

One of my favourites. Rotom-W/Ferrothorn has been a staple core in doubles, as they have fantastic type synergy, providing a resistance to nearly every type (excluding fight/ghost/dark/bug), and form part of the typical FWG core found on many teams. Will-O-Wisp would be fantastic here, although I am a little tempted by Thunder Wave due to the lack of speed control on this team.

gengar.gif

Gengar @ Focus Sash / Ghost Gem
Timid Nature  
- Shadow Ball  
- Icy Wind
- Taunt  
- Protect / Sludge Bomb

Here to balance out the team. Gengar provides nearly everything this team lacks. An answer to status moves, set ups, trick room, fake out... And some speed control in Icy Wind, which is lovely. Gengar is a great lead against most teams, and can put a dent in nearly every major Trick Room setter (bar Porygon2), as well as common dragons like Garchomp/Salamence. Ghost gem is for threats like dusclops, as focus sash is pretty pathetic once sand is up, and sludge bomb is for threats like abomasnow, who would otherwise eat through the team.

Please let me know what you think, and if you have any tips for building in-game!

Thanks!

tyranitar.pnggarchomp.pngsalamence.pngferrothorn.pngrotom-wash.pnggengar.png

Showdown Importable

Spoiler

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry  
Ability: Sand Stream  
Brave Nature  
- Rock Slide  
- Crunch  
- Low Kick  
- Protect  

Garchomp @ Yache Berry  
Ability: Sand Veil  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Dragon Claw  
- Earthquake  
- Rock Slide  
- Protect  

Salamence @ Dragon Gem  
Ability: Intimidate  
Timid Nature  
- Draco Meteor  
- Hidden Power [Flying]  
- Fire Blast  
- Protect  

Ferrothorn @ Occa Berry  
Ability: Iron Barbs  
Brave Nature  
- Gyro Ball  
- Power Whip  
- Stealth Rock  
- Protect  

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Hydro Pump  
- Thunderbolt  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Protect  

Gengar @ Ghost Gem  
Timid Nature  
- Shadow Ball  
- Sludge Bomb  
- Icy Wind  
- Taunt  

Edited by Draconid
2 hours ago, Draconid said:

Yes it's a staple move on most doubles sets - unless you have good reason for me to use otherwise? 

Nvm I didn't see that it's for dubs, anyway sludge wave for gengarinstead of sludge bomb if you run ferro, same thing with disarge rotom if you run garchomp