Staggering Matchmaking Times

hannahtaylor

Question

Talking with a fellow teammate we find it sad, and also confusing, that although a lot of players play UU and NU the matchmaking for those tiers are dead. People seem to want it, but try once and give up. 

I feel that staggering the matchmaking times, like what happens for ranked at the moment, will increase the matchmaking popularity for those tiers. Players would know when each matchmaking is active, maybe through setting up a global announcement, and therefore be able to use it. Plus, another money sink? (and we know how much the devs like those) Players are going to want to start to play other tiers so breed more pokemon. 

This isn't a suggestion about adding MORE matchmaking (like dubs and LC), but utilising the ones we already have (so please don't comment suggesting that)

5 answers to this question

So true, without proper matchmaking for the said tiers, players would have to fight people they know and it is very tedious (differences in timezones, availability and such). Players are then forced to play OU. Big sad. Especially if those players are not very fond of the tier.

..ducks bad...

Edited by Catman16

I agree with this, the reason OU is so popular is because you can play it at any time of the day and because people can't find a queue for UU or NU they just automatically default back to OU.

Limiting the time between being able to play OU matchmaking will hopefully give a spotlight to the other tiers.

Only problem I could see with this is people complaining that their BP making method is ruined, but you can't please everyone.

Correct me if I am mistaken but don't battle boxes allow you to set a team for you to use, queue up for UU and then go and do other stuff while you wait? The wait might still be somewhat big, but if enough people use this method there shouldn't be a shortage of UU matched and it won't require you to be patiently waiting in the middle of a city twiddling your thumbs.

On 2/28/2020 at 7:21 PM, suigin said:

Correct me if I am mistaken but don't battle boxes allow you to set a team for you to use, queue up for UU and then go and do other stuff while you wait? The wait might still be somewhat big, but if enough people use this method there shouldn't be a shortage of UU matched and it won't require you to be patiently waiting in the middle of a city twiddling your thumbs.

That's not relevant to the suggestion imo. People try UU/NU matchmaking and don't find suitable matches, then just stop trying an move to OU matchmaking with 0 hope for UU/NU matchmaking ever getting enough sign-ups to waste a round on it. You can't sign up for all three tiers so you'd be wasting a whole round instead of just playing OU for BP. If they were staggered it'd at least give people a chance to try the other tiers instead of relinquishing them for an OU game. Battle boxes would make signing up for different tiers at different times easier. As it stands right now, if you're queued for unranked UU, you're most likely not going to get a match.