Co-Op Double Battles

TinkerDamn

Question

Along with this I was wondering if it would be possible to implement a co-op battle system where if one person wants to have a double battle or needs help with a battle, he/she could send an invite to someone on their friends list and they could battle as a team. I know the latter might be hard (if even possible) to implement but I'm hoping for the best. Keep up the good work! I'm loving the game so far.

This would be pretty awesome! I don't know about assisting with NPC battles as it makes it unbalanced as the NPC would be out numbered. But 2v2 PVP would be awesome.

yeah that's why many of the 2v2 battles in the handheild games were just little compared to 1v1, so we can have like specific 2v2 battles, like the gf/bf trainer battles, twins, etc.

An easy solution for 2 Vs. 2 Battles would be to use the already established Friends List. Create a second tab in the Friends List Display for "Battle Partners" where you can click a + next to their name to add them to a "2 Vs. Party" (only one partner can be linked at a time). Prompt would of course pop up on their screen asking for confirmation of Partnership. After doing this, you right click the opposing Player you wish to Duel and instead of "Duel" a new option for "2 Vs. Duel" would be below it. When you click that, a challenge prompt would appear on theirs, their currently linked partner, and your partner's screen and a battle would immediately start, 2 vs. 2.

It would already use established mechanics programmed into the game, aside from programming how each player would take their turns compared to normal 1 Vs. 1 battles (wouldn't imagine it would be too hard), and everyone would be able to easily use the system since it's all pretty straight forward stuff.

For added visibility to make sure you're linked to a Battle Partner, you can have their Colored Avatar and name under it (similar to the "Character Select Screen" when you first log in) appear in the top right corner of the screen (nothing is there already so it wouldn't be blocking anything important.

I like the idea. Although I wish they implement NPC opponents too. I don't wish to battle overtrained pokemons against pro players. Instead I would love to play with my friend dueling NPCs where skill and EV training isn't all that important(but still to a certain degree).

Would love to train this way too, would really be a welcoming feature for sure. Ofcourse this would require duel tag npc players on map just like in newer generation games.

An easy fix to that would be using the same "Battle Partner" system I suggested above, but in every new City include a new House called the "Doubles Building", and inside is a bunch of trainers specifically designed for Co-Op Battling with a friend/another player. And can only be battled when linked to a Battle Partner. We all know there's already tons of houses with NPCs inside that don't do anything or unnecessary to the game, swap them out for something actually useful such as this.

Something to consider is a friends lvl of pokemon. Maybe have a cut off of ability to join if the lvls are too far apart, cause what the point of having a 2v2 if one person can overpower both opponents while the other teammate just sits there because they have low lvl pokemon :)

Something to consider is a friends lvl of pokemon. Maybe have a cut off of ability to join if the lvls are too far apart, cause what the point of having a 2v2 if one person can overpower both opponents while the other teammate just sits there because they have low lvl pokemon :)

Think about it this way:

o You & Partner Vs. Opponent A & Opponent B.

o Your Pokemon are all Level 30. Your Partner's Pokemon are all Level 12-15.

o Opponent A & B have Pokemon Level 30.

Looking at that, the opponents will more than likely concentrate on knocking off you, since you have the stronger Pokemon. They know they can easily take down your Partner. However, what happens if your Partner starts throwing around status effect attacks? Sand Attack, Screech, Growl, Tail Whip, etc. That's going to frustrate them and make it harder for them to hurt you. Suddenly what was once a simple "beatdown you, finish partner." now becomes "Finish partner in order to have no interference against you."

It's a strategical thinking game.

Although I do see your point arising if your opponents have type advantages, then it dissolves into being unfair. However it would be impossible to judge a level restriction since one player could have a variety of levels, not all of his Pokemon having one. It would be better if the restriction process involved how many Badges each Player has. You can only link to a Battle Partner if they have the same Badges as you do.

An easy solution for 2 Vs. 2 Battles would be to use the already established Friends List. Create a second tab in the Friends List Display for "Battle Partners" where you can click a + next to their name to add them to a "2 Vs. Party" (only one partner can be linked at a time). Prompt would of course pop up on their screen asking for confirmation of Partnership. After doing this, you right click the opposing Player you wish to Duel and instead of "Duel" a new option for "2 Vs. Duel" would be below it. When you click that, a challenge prompt would appear on theirs, their currently linked partner, and your partner's screen and a battle would immediately start, 2 vs. 2.

It would already use established mechanics programmed into the game, aside from programming how each player would take their turns compared to normal 1 Vs. 1 battles (wouldn't imagine it would be too hard), and everyone would be able to easily use the system since it's all pretty straight forward stuff.

For added visibility to make sure you're linked to a Battle Partner, you can have their Colored Avatar and name under it (similar to the "Character Select Screen" when you first log in) appear in the top right corner of the screen (nothing is there already so it wouldn't be blocking anything important.

A Simply marvelous way to implement a very important system. This would be revolutionary for the current competitive gaming available in the game right now. 

I have a question though, what would happen when a player loses internet connection during this battle? Could their position and the fight be held by the server for a brief period? (4-5 minutes?) Or would it be easier on the server to just drop the battle?

I'm going to bump this (sorry for the double post).

I just think this could be an extremely awesome way for people to enjoy the game as a MMO, it would also spark some interesting tournaments/events and make the Duos events work with Tournament Mode. The only real downside is communication between the two players may make battles a bit longer but in general doubles usually seems to go quickly so I think it could even out in the end. 

@Kyu @Brightshade Is this possible or have I just been hoping for the impossible for a long time?

I just think this could be an extremely awesome way for people to enjoy the game as a MMO, it would also spark some interesting tournaments/events and make the Duos events work with Tournament Mode. The only real downside is communication between the two players may make battles a bit longer but in general doubles usually seems to go quickly so I think it could even out in the end.

@Kyu @Brightshade Is this possible or have I just been hoping for the impossible for a long time?

Lol 1 year later

Lol 1 year later

It's certainly possible and it's also something we will be implementing in the future.