Spectator Delay for PvP

gbwead

Question

Coaching is a big problem for PvP. Since every duel spectated can be spectated live, anyone can be heavily coached at any moment and it makes our competitive scene not as competitive and rewarding as it could be. I strongly believe that having spectator delay would make it so difficult for players to get coached or to coach others. Overall, spectators would be able to enjoy more competitive matches for the price of very small delay. Something as small as a 5 turns delay would be more than enough to make coaching nearly impossible. Streaming duels to your coach would still be possible, but the amount of energy, effort and data consumption to do that would be pretty huge compared to how effortless it is now to coach or get coached.

I truly have no clue how hard it would be to implement this, so feel free to give as much input as possible in order to make this suggestion better or more realistic.

4 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, Frag said:

Discord now allow streaming with one click, also requirements are minimal xd

Indeed, but it's still not as reliable as directly spectating a match in game and having a clear picture of the battle chat. From what I have seen, it can be pretty laggy, but maybe that's just me because when I'm on discord, I'm often talking to people on another continent...

On 2/18/2020 at 5:54 PM, gbwead said:

Indeed, but it's still not as reliable as directly spectating a match in game and having a clear picture of the battle chat. From what I have seen, it can be pretty laggy, but maybe that's just me because when I'm on discord, I'm often talking to people on another continent...

Buy nitro to upgrade the stream quality, ez.

About that, just like discord there are other softwares out there super user friendly. So while this is nice, I doubt it really accomplishes much at all.

1 hour ago, razimove said:

Buy nitro to upgrade the stream quality, ez.

About that, just like discord there are other softwares out there super user friendly. So while this is nice, I doubt it really accomplishes much at all.

Tbh, I wouldn't even consider streaming as coaching, it's more ghosting at that point really. When you stream, you give visual access to your player interface, so you're not really the one playing anymore, just the middleman between the ghost and the mouse clicks. Spectator delay isn't designed in any game to stop ghosting, so I don't think it's fair to expect that it would be able to do that in PokeMMO. However, if spectator delay can reduce the amount of coaching, that's still something to look forward to imo.

Edit: There are other benefits to spectator delay too. For instance, spectators would be able to comment more freely about the games since they wouldn't influence the players as much as they do now.

It's pretty common practice for Poker player to stream with 30 mins delay or more sometimes, so spectator delay is really not unusual for luck based competitive games. It might not be a big deal, but if it's not too hard to implement, it would definitely be good. 

Edited by gbwead