Breeding Illumise (and possibly some other pokemon)

Olympia

Question

Today I found out that whenever you breed 314MS.png.4ff1e32fbf51ce2eedb4de052b0c48f7.pngIllumise (100% female pokémon) you can get either an 314MS.png.4ff1e32fbf51ce2eedb4de052b0c48f7.pngIllumise or a 313MS.png.84b23e198f13076996e15cfa216729d0.pngVolbeat (which is completely normal), yet the offspring's gender is not something I can decide like with other pokémon.

breeding.png.456095ae947a27cdc0dbb0e180453d12.png

I'd suggest to get the option to pay for a fee based upon the gender (in this case, also the species) that I'd like Illumise's offspring to be, just like we do we any other pokémon. Not sure if this kind of situation is affecting any other pokémon species, or if it has been already brought to your attention but was not implemented for some reason (if that's the case, it could be useful to know why - Probably balancing? Not sure). 

I do thank you in advance for clarifying if this is going to be a possibility in the future, and also for your time reading this thread!

Edited by Olympia

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, DibzAgain said:

It affects nidoran too, and those are useful in competitive gaming. I agree with your suggestion but I'm not too sure if this mechanic is going to be un-radomized considering that's how it's always been. Still upvoting though.

Thanks for the support! And I get it - It makes sense that it's randomized because that's the way it normally is.

But also - Taking into account that (at least for the example I posted) the results on different species directly affect the stats (as shown below) I kind of understand the reasoning behind leaving the random factor take part when deciding the offspring, but I don't feel like the difference (the total number is the same, but the distribution is not) is that much to a point where paying for a fee to decide the gender (and species) could lead to some sort of critical imbalance.

IllumiseStats.png.49af2c1d62cf3cb11ab3c02cf028982c.pngVolbeatStats.png.4dd50169e93ea92e694d731c631b9980.png

One day before this was posted, I bred a 6x0 Volbeat. I was breeding all 6x0 male-only pokemon for fun. I always bred with ditto and NEVER had the option to choose gender or anything, it just came out as a male Volbeat.

Today, I decided to just toss some random 4x0 bred Volbeat I had with a ditto and saw this, but it let me choose gender for a female Illumise.

When did this change and why?

2 hours ago, EssDeeCee said:

One day before this was posted, I bred a 6x0 Volbeat. I was breeding all 6x0 male-only pokemon for fun. I always bred with ditto and NEVER had the option to choose gender or anything, it just came out as a male Volbeat.

Today, I decided to just toss some random 4x0 bred Volbeat I had with a ditto and saw this, but it let me choose gender for a female Illumise.

When did this change and why?

The change was made because gender selection being unavailable for Nidoran M / Nidoran F / Volbeat / Illumise wasn't an actual design choice - it was just a consequence of how it was previously handled. Unlike "true" male-only species like Tauros that can never produce a female egg, Volbeat has a female counterpart accessible via breeding, so you're now able to choose which gendered species you want. The change brings the value of Nidoran F and Illumise breeders up to par with other females in their egg groups when previously they were significantly devalued by the randomization.

On 5/17/2020 at 1:10 AM, Rache said:

The change was made because gender selection being unavailable for Nidoran M / Nidoran F / Volbeat / Illumise wasn't an actual design choice - it was just a consequence of how it was previously handled. Unlike "true" male-only species like Tauros that can never produce a female egg, Volbeat has a female counterpart accessible via breeding, so you're now able to choose which gendered species you want. The change brings the value of Nidoran F and Illumise breeders up to par with other females in their egg groups when previously they were significantly devalued by the randomization.

They better not change this again :(

I bred a 6x0 Staryu before the genderless fix came out, and bred a 6x0 Volbeat right before this one came out...