How does shiny breeding work?

Title says it all. I heard it's quite different from normal breeding and I plan to start it soon so I appreciate any info anyone can tell me. Also I'm wondering whether you need your shiny OT to be a female to get the OT on the breed or not, and if you do need it what happens when you breed with a shiny ditto? Do you still keep the OT? Thanks in advance!

2 of the ivs will max, you can brace 1 or 2 ivs depening on everstone or not, and the rest average usually (but dont always).

Its basically normal breeding but 2 unbraced random ivs will become max possible.

For example of you have HP 31 and 28 and its unbraced, you might get 31 HP on the baby. Its random chance if that specific iv will get selected to max or not. If you had 4 unbraced ivs it would have a 50% chance to be 31 HP since 2 of the 4 unbraced ivs will max. If it averages it would be 29 since it doesn't round up. 

You can pm me if you have questions, here or in-game. Ign: awkways

11 hours ago, NoodlesRush said:

Well shiny breeding is similar to normal breeding except for the OT, also you can only breed shinies together

the OT passes if the main OT is you, so female usually or either if you are breeding with a ditto otherwise the offspring will be an UNKNOWN OT

That answers one of my important questions, thank you!

10 hours ago, awkways said:

2 of the ivs will max, you can brace 1 or 2 ivs depening on everstone or not, and the rest average usually (but dont always).

Its basically normal breeding but 2 unbraced random ivs will become max possible.

For example of you have HP 31 and 28 and its unbraced, you might get 31 HP on the baby. Its random chance if that specific iv will get selected to max or not. If you had 4 unbraced ivs it would have a 50% chance to be 31 HP since 2 of the 4 unbraced ivs will max. If it averages it would be 29 since it doesn't round up. 

You can pm me if you have questions, here or in-game. Ign: awkways

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I'm getting is shiny breeding will choose 2 of 4 unbraced IVs (or 2 of 5 if I have an everstone on one instead of a brace) and the rest always get averaged. Is that it? Also thanks will pm if I have anymore questions then :)

54 minutes ago, RenDude said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I'm getting is shiny breeding will choose 2 of 4 unbraced IVs (or 2 of 5 if I have an everstone on one instead of a brace) and the rest always get averaged. Is that it? Also thanks will pm if I have anymore questions then :)

Yes, it picks 2 unbraced and maxes, rest is averaged (can low/high roll as well like in normal breeding)

Ed: Actually I was told once that low rolls never happen, but idk if it's true

Edited by LifeStyleNORE
1 hour ago, RenDude said:

the rest always get averaged. Is that it? Also thanks will pm if I have anymore questions then :)

The rest dont average 100% of the time, but most of the time in my experience.

34 minutes ago, LifeStyleNORE said:

Actually I was told once that low rolls never happen, but idk if it's true

I have also never seen a low roll but idk if its impossible, we would need to ask staff

The game picks 2 stats at random (for example, attack and speed). For those 2 stats, it picks the higher of the two IVs for each. Using braces does not interfere with this, so if you use 2 braces it picks from the remaining 4 stats.

Two stats will be directly inherited at random; can be the lower of the 2 IVs (this is affected by braces, so if you use 2 then it’s not random).

The remaining 2 stats are averaged.

here are the patch notes on it:

• If both parents are Shiny, the child will now always be Shiny. When breeding Shinies, the child's IV inheritance behaves differently:
    • 4 random IVs are passed directly from the parents to the child. Of these 4, 2 will always be the highest possible value and 2 may be chosen by Braces.
    • 2 are averaged.
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for the bump. I have an explicit question relevant to this thread.

Of these 4, 2 will always be the highest possible value

I take this to mean that 2x31 is guaranteed. Am I correct here? Or does this actually mean the highest possible value between the parents? ie x/x/x/x/0/0 + x/x/x/x/1/1/ will become x/x/x/x/31/31? Or will it become x/x/x/x/1/1 (the "highest possible value" between the two parents).

Additionally, does this mean breeding two 4x31 shinies guarantees a 6x31, or is the "RNG" possibly going to pick the 31 IVs and take up the "highest possible values" and spit out another 4x31 in the worst case scenario (ie is the range of possibilities from breeding two 4x31 shinies 4x31 through 6x31, or is 6x31 guaranteed)?

EDIT: Just blew 2 million debunking this. The answer is the latter - it randomly braces two highest unbraced stats, it does NOT give you additional 31s!

Edited by geokoder
On 2/5/2020 at 1:43 AM, RenDude said:

Title says it all. I heard it's quite different from normal breeding and I plan to start it soon so I appreciate any info anyone can tell me. Also I'm wondering whether you need your shiny OT to be a female to get the OT on the breed or not, and if you do need it what happens when you breed with a shiny ditto? Do you still keep the OT? Thanks in advance!

any female mon of your ot will have an offspring of your ot.
if you have a male ot mon, you can breed it with a female non-ot mon of the same evolution line species or a shiny ditto and get an offspring of your ot.

as for breeding, there are 6 possible combinations when bracing both parents and 10 possible combinations when bracing one parent and giving an everstone to the other.

1. say I brace hp on one mon and speed on the other mon.

then out of the remaining 4 atk, def, sp.atk, sp.def,

2 stats will be directly inherited and the remaining 2 will be averaged.

directly inherited stats 6 possible combinations:
atk def

atk sp.atk

atk sp.def

def sp.atk

def sp.def

sp.atk sp.def

the directly inherited stat will always be the higher value of the parents hence no low rolls are possible.

example: if i breed 0/1/2/3/4/5 and 26/27/28/29/30/31 bracing the 0 hp and 31 speed,

outcome:

HP:0 / A:27 / D :28 / SA:16 / SD:17 / S:31
HP:0 / A:27 / D :15 / SA:29 / SD:17 / S:31
HP:0 / A:27 / D :15 / SA:16 / SD:30 / S:31
HP:0 / A:14 / D :28 / SA:29 / SD:17 / S:31
HP:0 / A:14 / D :28 / SA:16 / SD:30 / S:31
HP:0 / A:14 / D :15 / SA:29 / SD:30 / S:31

2. say I brace the speed on one mon and give an everstone to the other.

then out of the remaining 5 hp, atk, def, sp.atk, sp.def,

3 stats will be directly inherited and the remaining 2 will be averaged.

directly inherited stats 10 possible combinations:

def sp.atk sp.def

atk sp.atk sp.def

atk def sp.def

atk def sp.atk

hp sp.atk sp.def

hp def sp.def

hp def sp.atk

hp atk sp.def

hp atk sp.atk

hp atk def

example: above 0/1/2/3/4/5 everstone and 26/27/28/29/30/31 braced on the 31,

outcome:

HP:13 / A:14 / D :28 / SA:29 / SD:30 / S:31
HP:13 / A:27 / D :15 / SA:29 / SD:30 / S:31
HP:13 / A:27 / D :28 / SA:16 / SD:30 / S:31
HP:13 / A:27 / D :28 / SA:29 / SD:17 / S:31
HP:26 / A:14 / D :15 / SA:29 / SD:30 / S:31
HP:26 / A:14 / D :28 / SA:16 / SD:30 / S:31
HP:26 / A:14 / D :28 / SA:29 / SD:17 / S:31
HP:26 / A:27 / D :15 / SA:16 / SD:30 / S:31
HP:26 / A:27 / D :15 / SA:29 / SD:17 / S:31
HP:26 / A:27 / D :28 / SA:16 / SD:17 / S:31

the difference with normal breeding is that shiny breeding allows you to play "safe" gambles.

for example, breeding a 3x31 with 2x31 natured will always be 3x31 natured for normal breeding,

but the odds for shiny breeding are 40% 4x31 natured 60% 3x31 natured if you choose the ivs carefully.

Edited by CLOPEN
  • 2 years later...

Old thread, but I need to ask a quick question: I see that 2 of the unbraced IVs, randomly chosen, will roll the highest value between the parents.

What about the following scenario, with both parents having multiple 31 IVs in common (which will roll 31 IV on the bred pokemon regardless):

31 30 31 28 31 31

with 

31 15 31 25 31 31

Without braces, do the IVs lower than 31 automatically roll to the highest value (30 and 28 respectively), or is there still a chance that it will roll an average of those IVs, rounded down, for one or both of them?

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Aleventinove said:

Without braces, do the IVs lower than 31 automatically roll to the highest value (30 and 28 respectively), or is there still a chance that it will roll an average of those IVs, rounded down, for one or both of them?

It will be by probability, if when breeding you touch where it says the minimum and maximum IVs (15-30 and 25-28) you will see what probability each one has