increasing Team Member Limit

MathewMat

Question

12 hours ago, TohnR said:

I 100% disagree with this suggestion. One problem in this game is the limited amount of active teams. Increasing the members limit would only make it worse...

I respectfully disagree, but appreciate your input.

While I can see how it looks that way, it certainly isn't because teams can fit too many players. It takes a good leader, or group of leaders, to run a successful and active team in an mmo like this one. The argument could be made that 'too many teams' is the culprit to your problem, when you consider how many very small teams are created every day and die rather than joining together to make a larger one. When 1,000 teams have 10 active members each, of course they each look inactive individually - giving you the appearance of no choices. To blame the large and active teams here, or especially to punish them because of that, would be entirely unrealistic.

If you're looking for something to blame for lack of active teams to choose from, I can help point you in the right direction, at least from my own experience and perspective. Some things to consider:

1. Teams are very much lacking appeal, function. While we are given the ability to collect players and talk to them separately, there isn't much more to it than that. One of the most commonly asked questions I see when recruiting is, "What are teams for? What do they do for me?". The simple truth I have to respond with is "well you get another chat". I personally have the option to explain what my team offers them, but many people don't. What incentive is there to even lead a team for most people? A small group of friends here. A collection of pvp minded players there.
  2. Too many indians, not enough chiefs. This is probably the number one reason you don't see a lot of active teams. There are simply too many people wanting to join a team that does something different or something they like, but it's pretty rare to find a person willing to put in the time and effort to maintain that team, even rarer to find someone good at it. When someone does put the time and effort into a team, it fills with people looking to take advantage of it. People want to join because of what that team offers them. Whether it's 20 active people or 150, that team earned those active players for providing something that no one else does.
  3. Lack of endgame and content. This is not a stab at the development, but rather a natural occurrence when considering a single player game was turned into an mmo. The staff do a good job providing tournaments and catching events to the server as a whole, but a good team can offer much more than that, on a smaller scale, to it's own members. Rather than list them all, I will just say that there are tons of events that teams can organize for their players. These events give people something to do between breeding their next comp or grinding for money to buy vanity. They give goals, incentive, competition, etc. A good team can make a world of difference for many players, once they are done with their stories.

The common theme here is that teams are what we make them to be. It is entirely up to each individual team to give players a reason to join them. Some of us work very hard to make our team worth being in. We can offer what we will, and anyone who likes the idea and wants to be a part of it, will be. At the end of the day, it isn't the fault of larger teams, how many active teams there are or who else is making teams worth joining. No one is stopping 100 leaders from creating even bigger, better teams.

All we're asking for, is that our teams be allowed to grow.

Those of us who do the work, put in the time and spend our own resources creating these communities are not asking to be rewarded or for any advantage, only to be heard about issues we are facing, on our level of dedication.

I welcome any opposing viewpoints or arguments.

Edited by Kole
Typo
On 2/12/2020 at 1:11 AM, Kole said:

Teams are very much lacking appeal, function

agree with you 100%, they could definitely improve teams in this aspect.

Too many indians, not enough chiefs.

you see quite many active teams, but if you're mentioning the OG teams, is because well mostly dont let just a random join them. About the active teams, heck there's even hive mind teams like lava, that the chinese created and super popular to the point there's 2-3 teams branching out the main team. (iirc they even managed to crash the server like 4 or 5 times in their team catching events, which is part of the reason why they opened so much ch's for you to jump if ch is full)

Lack of endgame and content.

Sadly this is something I think the entire community can agree upon. Current end game is either shiny hunting, vanity collection or matchhmaking, and they're not exactly what would one call end game on a MMO. 

Either way, how's this relevant to team increasing? 

2 minutes ago, razimove said:

you see quite many active teams, but if you're mentioning the OG teams, is because well mostly dont let just a random join them. About the active teams, heck there's even hive mind teams like lava, that the chinese created and super popular to the point there's 2-3 teams branching out the main team. (iirc they even managed to crash the server like 4 or 5 times in their team catching events, which is part of the reason why they opened so much ch's for you to jump if ch is full)

The complaint I was addressing was that there "weren't many active teams to choose from"... This is subjective, as he sees limited options and you see many. I pointed out a reason why there may not be many large active teams for him, or others, to choose from.

I'm not sure what the chinese teams have to do with anything? There used to be a lot more channels to choose from, before the asian population grew, that were removed. They didn't add them back recently, so I'm unsure if it's necessary or has anything to do with the those teams. I also can't speak to any truth that a team's catching event crashed the server many times.

2 minutes ago, razimove said:

Sadly this is something I think the entire community can agree upon. Current end game is either shiny hunting, vanity collection or matchhmaking, and they're not exactly what would one call end game on a MMO.

Either way, how's this relevant to team increasing?

It's relevant because without endgame content, some teams will create their own. Those additions attract players. The more players, the more content, events, etc. That community grows by supply and demand. When that community can't grow anymore, they seek expansion. Here we are.

13 minutes ago, Kole said:

I'm not sure what the chinese teams have to do with anything? There used to be a lot more channels to choose from

there was 7, now it's probably 100 channels, although you only get to those, through their automated system. This is part of the reason why things like TT is held on multiple channels etc, so that people dont flood it and force others into random channels. It's a thing now since like 1 year ago or so.

And they did crash, quite a lot xD

I agree with this question and hope they get to expand the amount of team members per team as well - Some sort of alliance system between teams could also do the trick, but I think it must be easier for the developers to just increase the cap or even get rid of it. 

Anyway, I'm right there with you - Even if my team is not that large, I think communities should not suffer a division or encounter issues when expanding or growing for something that could be as easy to fix (I'm assuming it is).

12 hours ago, Olympia said:

I agree with this question and hope they get to expand the amount of team members per team as well - Some sort of alliance system between teams could also do the trick, but I think it must be easier for the developers to just increase the cap or even get rid of it. 

Anyway, I'm right there with you - Even if my team is not that large, I think communities should not suffer a division or encounter issues when expanding or growing for something that could be as easy to fix (I'm assuming it is).

An alliance system would be amazing, 

more successful teams supporting the high achieving teams. Oh gosh, sounds like a dream. ^^