Raised a team to farm Amulet Coins from Meowths in Kindle Road (Kanto)

In Kindle Road, you can use Sweet Scent to summon hordes of Ponyta/Rapidash or Meowth/Persian. Meowths have a (small) chance to hold Amulet coins so farming hordes seemed like the best way to go.

Because Meowth has very low defenses and these Meowths are between levels 24 and 26, you have to be careful to not make them faint when using Thief, and you also need a Pokémon with the Frisk ability to immediately inform you at the start of the battle whether one of the Meowths has an item with them, so you can stay or flee. 

I quickly realized that having a single Pokémon face the horde is impractical and can make it difficult, because it has to be weak enough to not OHKO the Meowths, which means that it'll be weak enough to be KO'd by 5 straight attacks. So I decided to use a high level Stantler with Frisk and also a rotation of 3 Golbats that know Thief.

So I enter the battle with Stantler. If it's a Rapidash horde, I flee (you have to outspeed them to flee, I believe, so invest EVs in Speed). If it's a Meowth/Persian horde, pay attention to whether or not it identifies an item within the horde. If it doesn't, flee. I you weren't paying attention and don't know if they do or don't have items, you can check the battle messages on the "Battle" tab in the chat. If only Persian has the item, flee, as Persian can only carry Quick Claw.

If the horde does have a Meowth with an item, stay and 1) KO the Persians first with Stantler, if there are any. 2) Switch the Golbats in and use Thief on every remaining Meowth, one turn at a time.

This can take up to 5 turns depending on how many are there, and you'll need a Pokémon with good Speed, decent Defense and low Attack, that's why I use Golbats of the Bold nature (+Def, - Atk). EV train them in Speed and Defense. The threshold to not KO these Meowths seems to be an Attack stat of below 60, which means that, depending on the Golbats' Atk IV, you can train them to about level 35 or so, at which point they'll be faster than Meowths, have a decent Def to take 2 or 3 turns of hits, and have an Atk low enough that they wont KO them, barring critical hits.

The hold rate for Meowths holding Amulet Coins appears to be below 5%, but I haven't actually crunched any numbers. The most common item is Quick Claw (pay attention to whether or not a Meowth activates their Quick Claw to attack first, that way you won't waste time going one by one only to find a Quick Claw), followed by Nuggets, and then Amulet Coins. You can't know which Meowth has the item and you don't know which item it is that they have (which I think was changed from the original games to make you grind? Or was it always like this?).

You can use the nearby thermal waters to recover, and remember to always immediately take the item off the Pokémon after the battle, because you can't steal items if you already are holding an item.

Summarizing:

1. Get a high level Stantler with Frisk and a Silk Scarf for higher Speed (Shuppet and Banette can also have Frisk, but Stantler is faster and tougher).
  2. Get 3 Bold natured Golbats and train them as high as you can while keeping their Attack below 60, preferably, or you risk them being too strong and KO the weak Meowths.
  3. Bring a Pokémon with Sweet Scent, go to Kindle Road, enter the battle with Stantler, flee if you get: a Ponyta/Rapidash horde, a full Persian horde (rare), a Persian/Meowth horde with no items detected, or a Persian/Meowth horde with items detected on the Persians only.
  4. If you detect an item on a Meowth, KO the Persians if there are any and switch into the Golbats.
  5. Try Thief until you find the Meowth with the item.
  6. Make sure the Golbats have no items before the battle, or they'll be unable to steal the items.

I have gotten 2 Amulet Coins in two different tries of about 40 minutes each. It can be a drag but if you want Amulet Coins and don't want to buy them, this is pretty much the best way I can think of.

I don't know if several Pokémon from a single horde can carry items at the same time.

Farming for amulet coins might be the dumbest thing to do in this game. you found 2 amulet coins in about 1 hour. If you do that for 5 hours, you'd get like 10-12, and if you sell that on the gtl you're making like ~200k-220k. You could literally buy 2 amulet coins for less than 50k and do a gym run and make 300k (300k -50k =250k though). Amulet coin farming is incredibly inefficient and it needs to be looked at "bUt iTs BaLaNcEd"...

Edited by eredita
2 hours ago, GhostOfMacbeth said:

I do it to farm gyms myself, not to sell them, because, yes, running around for 40 minutes hunting for Amulet Coins only to sell them is very inefficient.

yea but you have to factor in that time is money and all that time spent when you don't find anything, you're losing money.