Is rematching the Elite Four profitbale at all?

I just rematched the Kanto Elite Four (in their 80s) and consumed a high amount of healing items. I haven't made the balance but the total cost probably rises to 20k or a bit more. The payout was 54k, so going through the hassle of battling the E4 for a net gain of about 34k seems very impractical.

Even when having a full level 100 party, I don't think you can really go through the E4 one shotting everything like in the original games, particularly because you can't switch in between fainted foes, which combined with the fact that you have annoyances like Gary's Focus Sash-wearing Alakazam, and the fact that you can't determine which first Pokémon they are going to come out with, there are a lot of variables that you can't be ready for every time.

As far as I am aware, now the Pokémon will rise to level 100 and the battles will be 2 vs 2 like in gym rematches, and every member has like 10 possible parties, so the variables increase even more and you have to create a 6 Pokémon team that can cover like, 80 different Pokémon and several weather conditions? Seems unrealistic and I'm not really motivated to try.

All in all, the E4 seems like an impractical way to farm for resources, at least the way I'm understanding it. Am I misinterpreting something, or is it better to concentrate on gym rematches over the E4 for money and EXP?

As a challenge it is very interesting but as a way to farm, seems terrible to me.

Edited by GhostOfMacbeth

Yes, it is possible. I've been doing Kanto E4 for a while now. I believe Kanto is one of the harder ones since you can't use a Baton Pass team to sweep through it. Try doing Hoenn and Unova with a Baton Pass team instead. Someone posted their teams and even a video of them doing it.

Also it is only 1v1, never 2v2 and more than 10 teams to choose from. I think I've encountered 22 Lorelei teams so far. Although you can always spot a pattern. If a team has a weather starter then they will always lead with that or if a pokemon uses a move you can usually figure out what other moves they have.

I think I spend 15-20k on healing items. And yes, doing E4 isn't ideal for making money, you should just focus on gyms. I do them because it's fun.

I would post what team I use but it's really not that good. It does take me a while to finish a run.

2 hours ago, Caliginosus said:

What's wrong with Baton Pass in the Kanto E4?

27 minutes ago, CHUCKunso said:

that's why you always lead with SR to stop sashes and Dnites

Your rival in Kanto has a team that uses Magic Guard Alakazam with a Focus Sash. Because of that you will take a hit. And since people like to use Conkeldurr (since it's pretty strong and good move coverage) it will die in one hit against an Alakazam. I guess you can use a pokemon that has a multi hit move or someone that can survive an Alakazam but I haven't touched a Baton Pass team in a while so I don't know what works and what doesn't.

13 minutes ago, Archiver said:

Your rival in Kanto has a team that uses Magic Guard Alakazam with a Focus Sash. Because of that you will take a hit. And since people like to use Conkeldurr (since it's pretty strong and good move coverage) it will die in one hit against an Alakazam. I guess you can use a pokemon that has a multi hit move or someone that can survive an Alakazam but I haven't touched a Baton Pass team in a while so I don't know what works and what doesn't.

I am running Hoenn mostly and Metagross does the trick for me, should be the same for Kanto shouldn't it?

38 minutes ago, CHUCKunso said:

I am running Hoenn mostly and Metagross does the trick for me, should be the same for Kanto shouldn't it?

Maybe? I never tried. I know it also has a Shadow Ball but I think Metagross can survive a hit.

What moves do you have on it? Because you might just get walled by a different pokemon.

22 minutes ago, Archiver said:

Maybe? I never tried. I know it also has a Shadow Ball but I think Metagross can survive a hit.

What moves do you have on it? Because you might just get walled by a different pokemon.

I pass shell smash and coil on it, run meteor, ice and t-punch and eq. Besides Rotom-Heat I am fine concerning coverage.