Increase the Shiny Rate

RealLifeAngel

Question

Look, let us face the truth. Shiny have become too common, too many ppl has obtained them & that has diminished their value.

yew know, there is saying; “less is more” & between things like donor status, event items that also increase chances, hordes, how easy & how much you can farm pokeyen, not to mention how easy & how much spread across multiple accounts! 

I remember a time where none of these things existed, where the only ppl who got them were competitive players, girls & those who were truly lucky. A time where only like 3 ppl had a shiny charizard now I cannot even count on one had how many ppl has them.

It just makes me wonder, if they are so easy to get now, why even bother dedicating all this time to hunting them down?

discuss while i am gone ~

14 answers to this question

4 hours ago, RealLifeAngel said:

discuss while i am gone ~

and I hope you're gone for a long time.

People have shinies because they hunt them. Because they want them. What's the problem with that? 1/30k is already not much of a chance to get a shiny. 

If they're so 'easy' how many do you have?

20 hours ago, roberthp93 said:

I don't see the problem - I know people in my team who has played for 2000 hours and only met 1 shiny. The only shinies that obviously lost value are the EV horde mons (Rapidash, Durant, Stunfisk etc.) but they suck anyway. In my opinion, the 1/30k rate is perfect.

It is far from perfect, needs to be higher ~

18 hours ago, hannahtaylor said:

and I hope you're gone for a long time.

People have shinies because they hunt them. Because they want them. What's the problem with that? 1/30k is already not much of a chance to get a shiny. 

If they're so 'easy' how many do you have?

in due time, babe, but that does not matter now ~

did I say there was a problem w/ ppl wanting them? No, maybe you should have actually read my post instead of hoping I’ll be gone for good & how many shiny I has. 

what I said was, at this point w/ how easy & how often ppl are gettin’ them it is like what is even the point in trying to get them?

Their value is obv’ diminished considering just anybody can get them now, not just competitive players & girls, or the incredibly lucky. All you has to do now is spend a lil’ money, participate in a event for an item that increases odds, chase some hordes & breed & just like that you are basically promised to get a shiny. 

not stop worrying about what I am doing & go spend countless hours trying to get something that is continuously decreasing in value every time someone gets one ;0

23 hours ago, RealLifeAngel said:

A time where only like 3 ppl had a shiny charizard now I cannot even count on one had how many ppl has them.

A lot has changed in 7 years. Hordes being added, starters getting wild spawns, and shiny charms in recent Chinese New Year event are a few major changes that had an effect on this. Factor in the recent growth in the playerbase and you can see why it's like this now. Even if the rate were reduced to like 1/60k, which is unreasonable tbh, you'd still reach a point where more and more people will have a given shiny by sheer law of averages.

yew know, there is saying; “less is more” & between things like donor status, event items that also increase chances, hordes, how easy & how much you can farm pokeyen, not to mention how easy & how much spread across multiple accounts! 

That saying is more of a, "Get to the point," idea where you should be able to sum up an idea or thought in about 30 seconds. It doesn't apply to stuff like game spawns where RNG governs everything.

It just makes me wonder, if they are so easy to get now, why even bother dedicating all this time to hunting them down?

For every one person you see with a shiny there are still hundreds more without shinies. Players owning shinies are still a small subset of the population in game.

1 hour ago, RealLifeAngel said:

Their value is obv’ diminished considering just anybody can get them now, not just competitive players & girls, or the incredibly lucky. All you has to do now is spend a lil’ money, participate in a event for an item that increases odds, chase some hordes & breed & just like that you are basically promised to get a shiny. 

Why is this an issue? Why is it wrong for casual players to have shinies? Is there some hidden rulebook that says only comp players get shinies? For claiming you never said this was an issue your tone certainly conveys that you either believe this to be an issue or you are trying to make a massive troll thread. No one is promised a shiny. It happens only because of RNG, and while there are methods to tip the scales in your favor, there is no method that guarantees a shiny short of shiny breeding which requires two shinies be traded for a single shiny offspring.

1 minute ago, XelaKebert said:

A lot has changed in 7 years. Hordes being added, starters getting wild spawns, and shiny charms in recent Chinese New Year event are a few major changes that had an effect on this. Factor in the recent growth in the playerbase and you can see why it's like this now. Even if the rate were reduced to like 1/60k, which is unreasonable tbh, you'd still reach a point where more and more people will have a given shiny by sheer law of averages.

That saying is more of a, "Get to the point," idea where you should be able to sum up an idea or thought in about 30 seconds. It doesn't apply to stuff like game spawns where RNG governs everything.

For every one person you see with a shiny there are still hundreds more without shinies. Players owning shinies are still a small subset of the population in game.

Why is this an issue? Why is it wrong for casual players to have shinies? Is there some hidden rulebook that says only comp players get shinies? For claiming you never said this was an issue your tone certainly conveys that you either believe this to be an issue or you are trying to make a massive troll thread. No one is promised a shiny. It happens only because of RNG, and while there are methods to tip the scales in your favor, there is no method that guarantees a shiny short of shiny breeding which requires two shinies be traded for a single shiny offspring.

i am sry, but, this is not a troll thread it is genuine, I am almost 30 i am too mature for “tr0llin” my boi

i never said there was an issue w/ causal players getting them. Just that it should be harder for casual players to get them, I mean it should as well be harder for everyone in general. However, seeing ppl like the kinds of ppl I mentioned in my previous replies, w/ shinies they won or found easily, or were given to me at least made sense b.c these ppl deserved them.

BUT making it easier for everyone in general, makes them lose value & makes the said ppl that earn them feel as if their efforts were meaningless, b.c John & Jane Doe both found 3 in the span of a month & they only been playing for 4 months. Like i said, for competitive players, girls & lucky ppl alike should be harder for them too & that is why I say the rate in general should be increased. 

& where are these “hundreds of ppl” you speak of? b.c all I see is a colossal thread filled w/ ppl getting tons of shiny constantly & here I am thinking they are supposed to be “rare” 

like what is even point of having them in the game let alone hunt them down if they do not mean anything b.c a bunch of ppl getting them too easily. Idunno what is hard to understand here ppl 

1 minute ago, RealLifeAngel said:

i never said there was an issue w/ causal players getting them. Just that it should be harder for casual players to get them, I mean it should as well be harder for everyone in general. However, seeing ppl like the kinds of ppl I mentioned in my previous replies, w/ shinies they won or found easily, or were given to me at least made sense b.c these ppl deserved them.

How do you quantify casual vs comp player in code for one? Not that it would change anything on the topic in the first place. Second, if a casual player wins one from an event they had to earn it. "Found easily" is very vague and subjective. They probably weren't even looking in the first place, just a lucky spawn like everyone else. Third, being given shinies from a friend is a different topic altogether and there isn't an issue with that.

3 minutes ago, RealLifeAngel said:

BUT making it easier for everyone in general, makes them lose value & makes the said ppl that earn them feel as if their efforts were meaningless, b.c John & Jane Doe both found 3 in the span of a month & they only been playing for 4 months. Like i said, for competitive players, girls & lucky ppl alike should be harder for them too & that is why I say the rate in general should be increased. 

You do realize the time period you speak of, 2012-early2013ish (maybe longer who knows?), the base shiny rate was 1/8192 right? It was statistically easier to get a shiny back then vs now. If the shiny rate were still 1/8192 a 5 pokemon horde would have a 5/8192 chance of being shiny which would equal out to roughly 0.06%. That's much easier than the 1/6k per 5 pokemon horde now. The whole thing boils down to who is lucky at given moment. That's simply it. There's nothing else to it. You're either lucky and roll shiny or you aren't.

7 minutes ago, RealLifeAngel said:

& where are these “hundreds of ppl” you speak of? b.c all I see is a colossal thread filled w/ ppl getting tons of shiny constantly & here I am thinking they are supposed to be “rare” 

Forum users are not a fair sample of the playerbase and you should know this. It's something the devs have been very clear about for years. Even with the larger influx of players within the last year the number of forum users vs players in game still does not equal out to a fair enough sample. Especially when you factor in alt accounts for users, and there are some users who made several of those.

9 minutes ago, RealLifeAngel said:

like what is even point of having them in the game let alone hunt them down if they do not mean anything b.c a bunch of ppl getting them too easily. Idunno what is hard to understand here ppl 

If you don't see any value in them then that's your personal valuation. They only have value so long as value is attached to them. How players quantify that value is a different topic altogether. Their point is simply to exist as a randomly encountered alternate pallet. Outside of that they are functionally the same as any other species, and to be honest, that's more a question for Game Freak than PokeMMO since shinies have existed in the handhelds since Gen 2. On a technicality, you could have gen 1 shinies, but you wouldn't know unless you traded them to a Gen 2 game.

39 minutes ago, XelaKebert said:

How do you quantify casual vs comp player in code for one? Not that it would change anything on the topic in the first place. Second, if a casual player wins one from an event they had to earn it. "Found easily" is very vague and subjective. They probably weren't even looking in the first place, just a lucky spawn like everyone else. Third, being given shinies from a friend is a different topic altogether and there isn't an issue with that.

You do realize the time period you speak of, 2012-early2013ish (maybe longer who knows?), the base shiny rate was 1/8192 right? It was statistically easier to get a shiny back then vs now. If the shiny rate were still 1/8192 a 5 pokemon horde would have a 5/8192 chance of being shiny which would equal out to roughly 0.06%. That's much easier than the 1/6k per 5 pokemon horde now. The whole thing boils down to who is lucky at given moment. That's simply it. There's nothing else to it. You're either lucky and roll shiny or you aren't.

Forum users are not a fair sample of the playerbase and you should know this. It's something the devs have been very clear about for years. Even with the larger influx of players within the last year the number of forum users vs players in game still does not equal out to a fair enough sample. Especially when you factor in alt accounts for users, and there are some users who made several of those.

If you don't see any value in them then that's your personal valuation. They only have value so long as value is attached to them. How players quantify that value is a different topic altogether. Their point is simply to exist as a randomly encountered alternate pallet. Outside of that they are functionally the same as any other species, and to be honest, that's more a question for Game Freak than PokeMMO since shinies have existed in the handhelds since Gen 2. On a technicality, you could have gen 1 shinies, but you wouldn't know unless you traded them to a Gen 2 game.

Tbh, it always felt a lot harder then. Barely an duplicate shines aside the ultra common onez like Pidgey & shit. No items to help boost your odds, & no swarms. 

grindin’ for pokeyen was harder, breeding was not quite as much of a thing, & do not even get me started on the eggz when they were currency. 

Compared to now, hundreds of ppl maybe more left & right are obtaining them as if they are no big deal, as I said in a previous post my b0i. I remember a time when like 3 ppl had a shiny charizard now I cannot even count on one HAND how many ppl got one now. 

w/ that said, this what I mean by what is even the point? An ultra rare shiny, now obtained by tons of ppl, obviously this means said shiny is no longer worth nearly as much as it was when almost no one had one, & at this rate it is going to continue happening until literally everyone & anyone has one, & that kind of defeats the purpose of hunting something that is a rarity when it is becoming less & less rare. Also just to add, if a casual player wins a competition & wins a shiny prize they clearly deserve it, they worked for it. But all these ppl acting entitled to has them do not, like the vast majority of “casual” players; “I am human, I deserve shiny” basically & it should not work like this. 

also, the shiny rate was never that, ever, cannot ppl still believe that LIE 

1 minute ago, RealLifeAngel said:

also, the shiny rate was never that, ever, cannot ppl still believe that LIE 

Let's start off, it was once upon a time. This was confirmed that it was but was never updated in FAQ when it was changed so there is no telling when it was changed. I know you've been away for some time, but trust me, it was 1/8192 once upon a time.

3 minutes ago, RealLifeAngel said:

Tbh, it always felt a lot harder then. Barely an duplicate shines aside the ultra common onez like Pidgey & shit. No items to help boost your odds, & no swarms. 

I mean, you're talking a smaller playerbase back then. There also weren't starter spawns which meant creating endless alts to try and get a shiny starter.

5 minutes ago, RealLifeAngel said:

grindin’ for pokeyen was harder, breeding was not quite as much of a thing, & do not even get me started on the eggz when they were currency.

I mean, yes and no. Pay Day has been nerfed since then along with Amulet Coin. Factor in NPC rescaling for rematches it's honestly hard to compare. It certainly does feel easier.

6 minutes ago, RealLifeAngel said:

Compared to now, hundreds of ppl maybe more left & right are obtaining them as if they are no big deal, as I said in a previous post my b0i. I remember a time when like 3 ppl had a shiny charizard now I cannot even count on one HAND how many ppl got one now. 

I'll say it again. Smaller community and no starter spawns were a major reason for that. I'm not sure how to make it clearer for you, but that's how it is. You had less people hunting back then so the numbers were more likely to turn up less shinies. Now you have hundreds more players who are forming large hunting parties. You have more people you are looking at so odds are greater you will see more shinies.

9 minutes ago, RealLifeAngel said:

w/ that said, this what I mean by what is even the point? An ultra rare shiny, now obtained by tons of ppl, obviously this means said shiny is no longer worth nearly as much as it was when almost no one had one, & at this rate it is going to continue happening until literally everyone & anyone has one, & that kind of defeats the purpose of hunting something that is a rarity when it is becoming less & less rare. Also just to add, if a casual player wins a competition & wins a shiny prize they clearly deserve it, they worked for it. But all these ppl acting entitled to has them do not, like the vast majority of “casual” players; “I am human, I deserve shiny” basically & it should not work like this. 

You get entitlement in any community. Doesn't matter what it is, someone always feels entitled to it. For your question on the point. If you see no point in them, then don't hunt them. You aren't obligated to hunt them. You can play Battle Frontier, grind gym/E4 rematches, or breeding to name a few alternatives. If you don't see a point in them, why are you even complaining? Don't hunt them. Advocating for a nerf to the current rate is the exact opposite of your claims that you don't see it as a problem. You either see it as a problem or you don't.

15 minutes ago, XelaKebert said:

Let's start off, it was once upon a time. This was confirmed that it was but was never updated in FAQ when it was changed so there is no telling when it was changed. I know you've been away for some time, but trust me, it was 1/8192 once upon a time.

I mean, you're talking a smaller playerbase back then. There also weren't starter spawns which meant creating endless alts to try and get a shiny starter.

I mean, yes and no. Pay Day has been nerfed since then along with Amulet Coin. Factor in NPC rescaling for rematches it's honestly hard to compare. It certainly does feel easier.

I'll say it again. Smaller community and no starter spawns were a major reason for that. I'm not sure how to make it clearer for you, but that's how it is. You had less people hunting back then so the numbers were more likely to turn up less shinies. Now you have hundreds more players who are forming large hunting parties. You have more people you are looking at so odds are greater you will see more shinies.

You get entitlement in any community. Doesn't matter what it is, someone always feels entitled to it. For your question on the point. If you see no point in them, then don't hunt them. You aren't obligated to hunt them. You can play Battle Frontier, grind gym/E4 rematches, or breeding to name a few alternatives. If you don't see a point in them, why are you even complaining? Don't hunt them. Advocating for a nerf to the current rate is the exact opposite of your claims that you don't see it as a problem. You either see it as a problem or you don't.

it is a problem, maybe not yet b.c the simple fact of the matter is not enough ppl have gotten them. it has not become wide spread yet, but it is getting there , i promise babe

Which is why i sai; “at this rate” & such.

Eventually s0 many pe0ple are g0nna’ have them that the market IS going to become inflated & completely ruin their value & render them worthless. 

I agree the c0mmunity was smaller back then & less ppl had them. Between not being lucky or w.e other circumstances that do not meet the perquisites i presented, the 0nly ppl that had them were ppl that deserved them, now, b.c like i said just any random player can get them & w/ how easy it is to get them on t0p of that (likely from all the self entitled ppl demanding it is made easier so they can has 1 too & be cool & “fit in” or w.e lame shit) the shiny rate was not compensated to balance it to keep their rarity consistent 

mark my words babe, it is goin’ to be a catastrophic problem ~

Edited by RealLifeAngel
words
1 hour ago, RealLifeAngel said:

I played pokeMMO for 852 hours (And I'm not taking into consideration other characters nor my older banned account, just look how old is my forum acc). I have a complete pokedex caught OT 560/560, including of course Mewtwo and Rayquaza that took me months to encounter. I'm also a "competitive" player with 73/69 ranked ratio. I've spent literraly half of my playtime looking for shinies and the only one I managed to find was a crappy Mienfoo that I sold for 1 million.

Now, it's true that some ppl actually have a lot of shinies, i've met ppl like those. I don't know how they did that. My personnal opinion is that they somehow managed to bypass the antibot system (let's say the truth for once) or are unemployed ppl with 10k hours played time.

So... 1/30k -> 1/60k ? NO è_é

Edited by Bhen
14 minutes ago, Bhen said:

I played pokeMMO for 852 hours (And I'm not taking into consideration other characters nor my older banned account, just look how old is my forum acc). I have a complete pokedex caught OT 560/560, including of course Mewtwo and Rayquaza that took me months to encounter. I'm also a "competitive" player with 73/69 ranked ratio. I've spent literraly half of my playtime looking for shinies and the only one I managed to find was a crappy Mienfoo that I sold for 1 million.

Now, it's true that some ppl actually have a lot of shinies, i've met ppl like those. I don't know how they did that. My personnal opinion is that they somehow managed to bypass the antibot system (let's say the truth for once) or are unemployed ppl with 10k hours played time.

So... 1/30k -> 1/60k ? NO è_é

with a win+loss ration, that has more wins than losses i find it incredibly hard t0 believe yew has not w0n at least tw0 shinies at the most!!! Especially considering the fact yew has been playin’ for 8 years, or w.e

I think you are just arguing for the sake of arguing tbh, statistically yew should has as many shinies as those unworthy ppl you speak of, you would notice there are so many of them. & no, they are not using bots or exploits, getting shinies are rly just that easy now & the shiny rate needs to be raised 2 compensate the expanding community or risk them completely diminishing in value!!!

7 minutes ago, RealLifeAngel said:

the shiny rate needs to be raised 2 compensate the expanding community or risk them completely diminishing in value!!!

Even if you're right, considering everything that has been said.. maybe raising the 1/30k ratio is not the best solution? Adding endgame features (such as team dungeons/raids) or removing the 2 hours cooldown for ranked pvp would make theoretically ppl spending less time encountering wild pokes and thus less shiny encounters.

8 minutes ago, Bhen said:

Even if you're right, considering everything that has been said.. maybe raising the 1/30k ratio is not the best solution? Adding endgame features (such as team dungeons/raids) or removing the 2 hours cooldown for ranked pvp would make theoretically ppl spending less time encountering wild pokes and thus less shiny encounters.

nyet, b.c u see, babe. 

t0nz of ppl, such as those you were just talking about dedicate so much time to gettin’ shinies b.c of things like ego. BUT, mostly for trading & making in game money & becoming “rich”. 

ppl much rather d0 this than that tbh, & rly raising the shiny rate would also benefit them b.c it would make their shiny twice as valuable & making hunting them actually “lucrative” feel me, darling?

Edited by RealLifeAngel
words

When it comes to monetary value, you advocate that the shinies anybody already holds right now should rise in value by making those more difficult to obtain for everyone.
Why exactly do you think it is needed that the group of players that currently invested in shinies need to benefit at the expense of the playerbase as a whole or e.g. players that hunt to keep shinies for themselves?

Concerning players who hunt to sell shinies, your suggestion does not help them at all: They do not need shinies to be rarer to make them "twice as valuable" if at the same time they need twice as long for each shiny hunt.

I think, that if your satisfaction with something you personally achieved (like finding a shiny you wanted) is dimished a lot by the fact others achieved something similar, the problem is rather your ability to feel content (with yourself) than how difficult it is made for others.