The ability to use numerical character names and underscores

JohanSquishy

Question

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, 6969696969696969 said:

Upvoted for totally not personal reasons but because it's a great idea, my friend wanted a bunch of alts with his name and random numbers too!

*Looks at your username*
NErFV6F.gif

Whenever MMO's have been around for longer periods of times names, when restricted to non-special characters, do tend to end up becoming monopolised (I.E. you're stuck with trash gibberish names or XxNamexX etc, and gibberish names result in namebans too) so I can see the merit of this but I do believe that periodically PokeMMO does name purges on inactive characters that have no significant progress in game.

While this would definitely open the floodgates for a huge number of new names, this issue could instead be a consequence of the name purges maybe being too infrequent (or too lenient in regards to what is required to protect that name from being freed up).

But as the user I replied to's name shows, this also opens the floodgate to a bunch of 420 or 69 references, both of which would require name bans for being drug references and sexual references respectively, and then players would try to validate it by saying that staff are just assuming what the numbers represent and it's totally for other entirely innocent reasons that they have those numbers etc. Underscores seem pretty harmless at first glance, however.