Obedience and regions

So, this just happened:

• Got to the E4 in Unova, couldn't beat them. Decided to raise a couple new mons in Kanto to make a more diverse team.
  • Started Kanto, raised some stuff to complement my strongest Unova mons. When I beat 8 gyms, got out my Unova guys and completed my team.
  • Beat the E4 in Kanto, feeling good! In the process, 4 of my mons reached lvl 57. Didn't think anything of it.
  • Right! Back to Unova, let's take on the E4!

I think you can guess what happened. There's no (in-game) way I could have known that all these pokemon would be disobedient and immediately die at the beginning of each battle. It's not like I'm using OP pokemon to blitz through the story in a new region, I just need to beat the E4 in Unova. It seems totally unfair that this situation is even possible. I get that allowing players to use lvl 100 pokemon at the start of a region is silly, but I just spent three days finishing the story in Kanto as a fun way to get a better team for Unova E4 and now I can't use them?

Is there no way I can get my mons back in Unova? I seriously need to raise 4 new pokemon from scratch just to beat the E4 there?

Edited by nimonian
Spelling

Yes, pokemon above your max obedience will die straight away. There's no way to delevel pokemon so yes you'll have to get new pokemon. You physically can't overlevel your pokemon above the max obedience in the region you're in. Which is why you were able to do that.

Edited by hannahtaylor

Hi!

What Hannah said is correct, unfortunately there's no way to remove levels of pokemons.

The level cap is always shown in your trainer card, so you can always check there. Each region has it's own level cap.

Kanto: 20/26/32/37/46/47/50/55/62/100
Hoenn: 20/24/28/33/35/38/44/47/58/100
Unova: 20/24/27/31/35/38/42/45/56/100

8 hours ago, nimonian said:

There's no (in-game) way I could have known that all these pokemon would be disobedient and immediately die at the beginning of each battle.

You could've asked on any in-game chat? Pre-E4 level caps are something a lot of people would've been able to tell you about, as well as the fact that overleveled Pokemon will yeet themselves into the void the second they start the battles.

P.S. raising a new Pokemon to your level cap using hordes in unova doesn't take much time at all. If you want an extra edge use Garbodor hordes (route 9) for physical attackers and Heatmor hordes (under Victory Road) for special attackers. Can't physically overlevel in the region your level cap is at. 

Here:

Edited by Dibz

People have been very kind offering advice, even some offering to help me level some new pokemon. Thank you guys, it's a great community.

I just wrote out and deleted a reply because I can see this issue has been spoken about a few times before.

My opinion stands: this side-effect of grafting together the regions is bad game design and needs rethinking. Keep level caps, they're important, but this particular outcome needs to be designed against. It shouldn't be possible. People can't ask in advance about things they don't know that they don't know. Blog posts aren't the answer. At the very least, the game needs to telegraph the consequences.

if you open your trainer card it shows you your level cap. i could see a upgrade where it would show you the lvl cap of all regions for you instead of just the current one.
on the flip side lvl 57 can be used in hoenn elite 4 so store those in your bank for now.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...