More templates for community vanity item contributions.

EikoBiko

Question

I used to play a while back and I'm interested in making some vanity item contributions. I noticed there's only front, side, and back overworld sprites -- I feel like community vanity options are less likely to adapted if it is up to the on-team artists to intepret many sprites using just a couple overworld ones.

Are there any more sprite templates? Is hair colored in the game engine? If yes, should hairstyles be colored in greyscale? Or do you use a color key? What else should contributors know if they want to create a comprehensive vanity item?

I'm interested in making vanity items that cover all use cases, and I think it would be easiest for the PokeMMO team to implement them if we were able to make them in the format they are used. 

7 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, TohnR said:

By team and artistS you mean @Darkshade ? :')

I suppose so! I figured they had at least more than one artist -- but this goes to show you why we can't put all the work on one person to translate a couple sprites to an entire sheet for a plethora of cosmetic items. As an artist, myself, I'd be more than happy to take the work load off by just making my submission as game-ready as possible.

Hi @EikoBiko

Thank you for your interest in player suggested vanities.

To answer a couple of your questions:

- I'm fairly reluctant to release an entire sprite sheet for PokeMMO's characters, nor is it probably necessary, as it's unlikely that vanities will remain exactly the same as the one provided by the player, to the one that ends up in being finalized.

- Hair is coloured in the game engine (as is anything considered 'colourable'), and it does use grayscale as a base, you can find the respective colours here:

image.png.8c34e58dd2bc47c27c803ec76713e7cb.png

- As far as additional information for suggestions go, there is a 'Non colourable layer', in the above example this would be the pink hair bands, and a 'night time' layer, used for making certain parts of an item glow at night.

If you wanted to give an example of how an item is animated, note that most animated items follow the movement of the player sprite, which uses this animation pattern:

Frame 1 (Standing still) > Frame 2 (First step) > Frame 1 (Standing still) > Frame 3 (Second Step) and repeat.

Some items have separate animations that are independent of the character movement, however due to how these are coded, they're usually reserved for Limited time items (such as the recent Plague Doctor Masks).

I hope this information helps.

@Darkshade

This helps a ton! So to clarify a couple things:

13 hours ago, Darkshade said:

- I'm fairly reluctant to release an entire sprite sheet for PokeMMO's characters, nor is it probably necessary, as it's unlikely that vanities will remain exactly the same as the one provided by the player, to the one that ends up in being finalized.

So the player character sprites are subject to change? Is this to account for potentially Black/White styled sprites? If so, might be wise to set up a basis for that sooner rather than later, as adjusting cosmetics might be a pain in the rear. I'm working on game dev stuff, myself, running into issues with having to throw away a bunch of well-made cosmetics and redo them because the character has changed. In my case I totally wish we would've finalized things sooner.

Willing to help contribute to the re-designing effort if this is the case. Personally I think the B/W sprites are killer and I made a bunch of templates at one point for hobby reasons. 

7 hours ago, EikoBiko said:

So the player character sprites are subject to change? Is this to account for potentially Black/White styled sprites? If so, might be wise to set up a basis for that sooner rather than later, as adjusting cosmetics might be a pain in the rear. I'm working on game dev stuff, myself, running into issues with having to throw away a bunch of well-made cosmetics and redo them because the character has changed. In my case I totally wish we would've finalized things sooner.

Willing to help contribute to the re-designing effort if this is the case. Personally I think the B/W sprites are killer and I made a bunch of templates at one point for hobby reasons. 

To clarify; The vanities provided by players as a suggestion are subject to change.

It is unlikely that this point that the player sprites themselves are going to undergo a redesign.

@Darkshade
There is a way to release a base for the trainer card male and female sprites?
I'm interested in making some vanity item contributions too.

And a little suggestion about the vanity thread. 

Improve the Vanity Thread's and mabye split it into two, one for ideas and one just for sprites in an organized pattern for easy viewing without a lot of commentary like old text and giant google photos.

Edited by MatheusEdu7B