Lowered Difficulty

SirOCallaghan

Question

1 hour ago, razimove said:

Game can be beaten with 6 low IV/neutral nature mons. Re-think your strategy. Its already ridiculously easy.

Its not about the ivs and the natures, its about the fact that i can be 11 levels higher than a pokemon, use a super effective move and do barely a quarter of their health, but get one shot by a super effective move from a pokemon 14 levels below mine. Or how any enemy almost never misses any moves or has their paralysis activate. I appreciate a difficulty increase because its more engaging than normal pokemon games but at this point its just annoying

1 minute ago, SirOCallaghan said:

use a super effective move and do barely a quarter of their health

can you provide me the mon, which move, nature and relevant ivs + evs on that mon, which opponent pokemon and the level of the pokemon in this example.

The handhelds are to faceroll, here is a tiny bit more challenging.

can you provide me the mon, which move, nature and relevant ivs + evs on that mon, which opponent pokemon and the level of the pokemon in this example.

The handhelds are to faceroll, here is a tiny bit more challenging.

I dont remember the specifics bro all i remember is the level differences because of how busted they are. One i do remember is fight blaine with my charizard, and having his arcanine consistenly one shot me with wild charge when it took 2 earthquakes. His arcanine was like level 43 i think and my charizard was level 48, with its nature being hardy and all ivs being 15 because starter, and attack ev is 92, defense ev is 82. I only beat him because i trained my charizard to level 50 and spent 30k on earthquake with mostly speed evs so i outsped all of his pokemon, with my level 50 absol being a punching bag to heal charizard.

Charizard's physical attack is mediocre so I don't know why your running a physical move on it in the first place. Also Arcanine has straight up more bulk and better offensive stats. With the Charizard set your running I'm not surprised that it can ohko you whilst you couldn't ohko Arcanine. The game isn't hard as long as you have some knowledge and a basic understanding of battling and the Pokemon themselves. If something isn't working out just rethink your strategy and research a little maybe. 

Edited by Etozuri
39 minutes ago, Etozuri said:

Charizard's physical attack is mediocre so I don't know why your running a physical move on it in the first place. Also Arcanine has straight up more bulk and better offensive stats. With the Charizard set your running I'm not surprised that it can ohko you whilst you couldn't ohko Arcanine. The game isn't hard as long as you have some knowledge and a basic understanding of battling and the Pokemon themselves. If something isn't working out just rethink your strategy and research a little maybe. 

I do have a basic understanding of battling, and i know damn well that something 14 levels below me shouldnt be able to one shot me unless it uses a ohko move, type advantage or not. Charizard has plenty high attack, and its never been a problem before, especially when im above the level of what im fighting

7 minutes ago, SirOCallaghan said:

I do have a basic understanding of battling, and i know damn well that something 14 levels below me shouldnt be able to one shot me unless it uses a ohko move, type advantage or not. Charizard has plenty high attack, and its never been a problem before, especially when im above the level of what im fighting

Considering your saying that something 14 levels below can't ohko regardless of type advantage and that Charizard has a high physical attack stat, your basic understanding of battling may not be quite enough. Instead of trying to beat everything with your starter, find, catch and level a Pokemon which would be beneficial to your whole team. 

5 hours ago, Etozuri said:

Considering your saying that something 14 levels below can't ohko regardless of type advantage and that Charizard has a high physical attack stat, your basic understanding of battling may not be quite enough. Instead of trying to beat everything with your starter, find, catch and level a Pokemon which would be beneficial to your whole team. 

I wasnt trying to do everything with my starter, my starter was the one with the best chance because my snorlax wasnt a high enough level at the time. I shouldnt be forced to use more pokemon than i want, and i shouldnt be forced to constantly use type advantage. If you remember, lapras has an attack stat only 1 higher than charizard, and its always been one of my go to picks for any game, because its always been really helpful and never given me a problem. Same with charizard

10 hours ago, SirOCallaghan said:

arcanine consistenly one shot me with wild charge when it took 2 earthquakes

he intimidated you, so -1 and k9 is bulky.

2 hours ago, SirOCallaghan said:

If you remember, lapras has an attack stat only 1 higher than charizard, and its always been one of my go to picks for any game

DD lapras is fun to use, but you have much better water types if you want to run physical.

10 hours ago, Etozuri said:

Charizard's physical attack is mediocre

its not mediocre, it's average.

Just rethink strategy, it's not to hard.

It's not difficult at all if you learn what story mode is trying to teach you:

1. Basic type effectiveness

2. The fact that certain Pokemon are better at some things than others (physical mons, special mons, those useful for attacking vs bulky mons)

3. Abilities

So basic battling skills that don't involve trying to overlevel one Pokemon and sweeping story, cause what do you learn from that? NPC Pokemon aren't that special at all in terms of stats, the AI in this game just thinks instead of randomly picking a move, and it's not even that good. 

Fun fact: I've beat the hoenn story with 6 bidoof, do monotype runs all the time, and I've beat story with just a Butterfree and a bibarel. IVs and EVs don't matter in story, basic Pokemon comprehension does c: 

20 minutes ago, Dibz said:

It's not difficult at all if you learn what story mode is trying to teach you:

1. Basic type effectiveness

2. The fact that certain Pokemon are better at some things than others (physical mons, special mons, those useful for attacking vs bulky mons)

3. Abilities

So basic battling skills that don't involve trying to overlevel one Pokemon and sweeping story, cause what do you learn from that? NPC Pokemon aren't that special at all in terms of stats, the AI in this game just thinks instead of randomly picking a move, and it's not even that good. 

Fun fact: I've beat the hoenn story with 6 bidoof, do monotype runs all the time, and I've beat story with just a Butterfree and a bibarel. IVs and EVs don't matter in story, basic Pokemon comprehension does c: 

I already know about type effectiveness and that certain pokemon are better at some things, but that still doesnt excuse the fact that im not able to one shot something with a super effective move when im a whole 14 levels higher than it. I shouldnt have to constantly worry about type effectiveness because i should be able to use what i want and still beat it. I have to constantly use powerful attacking moves because if i try to use a status move to actually employ any strategy i get demolished in 1 or 2 hits, regardless of what level i am

1 hour ago, SirOCallaghan said:

but that still doesnt excuse the fact that im not able to one shot something with a super effective move when im a whole 14 levels higher than it.

Given that there is not a point during any storyline where it's possible to level 14 levels above your opponent [and have your party member obey], I have some doubts.

27 minutes ago, SirOCallaghan said:

You can like... literally... walk in tall grass? 

Where do you find a wild Arcanine?

2 hours ago, SirOCallaghan said:

I already know about type effectiveness and that certain pokemon are better at some things, but that still doesnt excuse the fact that im not able to one shot something with a super effective move when im a whole 14 levels higher than it. I shouldnt have to constantly worry about type effectiveness because i should be able to use what i want and still beat it. I have to constantly use powerful attacking moves because if i try to use a status move to actually employ any strategy i get demolished in 1 or 2 hits, regardless of what level i am

Literally everything you've said sounds so unrealistic in this post but ok gamer

39 minutes ago, SirOCallaghan said:

You can like... literally... walk in tall grass? 

Everything in the game has normal stats. Anything you can't KO in the wild, you also couldn't KO in the originals (barring Sturdy, which runs on gen 5+ mechanics here). Likewise, anything that KOs you here could also do so in the originals with the same IVs/EVs/natures. NPC Pokemon also have perfectly legal stats, with only some minor EV investment on the important trainers (rivals, gym leaders, etc) to keep them relatively on par with the player.

Gyms etc are buffed to ensure that you're better at the game when you've finished it compared to when you started it, as well as being balanced around an older/smarter playerbase instead of small children. This is why the important battles are harder, the AI is competent, levels are capped, and NPCs aren't gimped with 0/0/0/0/0/0 IVs like they were in the originals. We have no intention of dumbing things down to allow for teams of 2-3 Pokemon to easily beat the game. If you're having difficulty with a certain gym or Elite Four member, you may need to consider adding another member to your team. The level caps and overall game design are balanced around you having 5-6.

For reference, here are some damage calculations for your Charizard against Blaine's Arcanine since you  mentioned it specifically. Its level is 47, its IVs are 20/20/20/20/20/20, its EVs are 48/48/48/48/48/48, its nature is naughty, and it's holding Leftovers.

No Intimidate: 92 Atk lv48 Charizard Earthquake vs. 48 HP / 48 Def lv47 Arcanine: 78-94 (50 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (after recoil damage and Leftovers recovery)

After Intimidate: -1 92 Atk lv48 Charizard Earthquake vs. 48 HP / 48 Def lv47 Arcanine: 54-64 (34.6 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (after recoil damage and Leftovers recovery)

48+ lv47 Atk Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 82 Def lv48 Charizard: 88-104 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (14.1 - 16.6% recoil damage)

48+ Atk lv47 Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 82 Def lv48 Charizard on a critical hit: 132-156 (94.2 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

The only way Arcanine can ever one-shot your Charizard is with a critical hit (1/24 chance), and the percentage for KOing you will be lower than 68.8% based on your unrevealed HP EVs. Your Charizard is faster than Arcanine, so will usually win if it enters battle after Arcanine is already out (no Intimidate). You can check these calculations for yourself here if you don't believe them.

37 minutes ago, Dibz said:

Where do you find a wild Arcanine?

Literally everything you've said sounds so unrealistic in this post but ok gamer

I never said it was a wild arcanine, i said it was blaines arcanine, which was a different instance than the time i was ohko'd by something 14 levels below me

37 minutes ago, Rache said:

Everything in the game has normal stats. Anything you can't KO in the wild, you also couldn't KO in the originals (barring Sturdy, which runs on gen 5+ mechanics here). Likewise, anything that KOs you here could also do so in the originals with the same IVs/EVs/natures. NPC Pokemon also have perfectly legal stats, with only some minor EV investment on the important trainers (rivals, gym leaders, etc) to keep them relatively on par with the player.

Gyms etc are buffed to ensure that you're better at the game when you've finished it compared to when you started it, as well as being balanced around an older/smarter playerbase instead of small children. This is why the important battles are harder, the AI is competent, levels are capped, and NPCs aren't gimped with 0/0/0/0/0/0 IVs like they were in the originals. We have no intention of dumbing things down to allow for teams of 2-3 Pokemon to easily beat the game. If you're having difficulty with a certain gym or Elite Four member, you may need to consider adding another member to your team. The level caps and overall game design are balanced around you having 5-6.

For reference, here are some damage calculations for your Charizard against Blaine's Arcanine since you  mentioned it specifically. Its level is 47, its IVs are 20/20/20/20/20/20, its EVs are 48/48/48/48/48/48, its nature is naughty, and it's holding Leftovers.

The only way Arcanine can ever one-shot your Charizard is with a critical hit (1/24 chance), and the percentage for KOing you will be lower than 68.8% based on your unrevealed HP EVs. Your Charizard is faster than Arcanine, so will usually win if it enters battle after Arcanine is already out (no Intimidate). You can check these calculations for yourself here if you don't believe them.

You mad wack if you think i didnt literally watch my charizard get one shotted by wild charge every time until i maxed its level. Either it hit a critical every time and didnt tell me or the game is different from your math

Considering my charizard is maxxed out on evs and cant gain anymore, and that i didnt really fight any pokemon that gave hp evs from level 50 to 55, i can probably safely assume that my hp ev was 50 at the time of the battles, given i fought one pokemon to level charizard up from 47 or so to 50 because of a very handy glitch that somehow ended up giving me over 12k exp (has anyone ever reported having that glitch? Kinda messed me up seeing my level shoot up 2 or 3 times for killing one tentacruel)

Edited by SirOCallaghan
extra information
6 hours ago, SirOCallaghan said:

You mad wack if you think i didnt literally watch my charizard get one shotted by wild charge every time until i maxed its level. Either it hit a critical every time and didnt tell me or the game is different from your math

Considering my charizard is maxxed out on evs and cant gain anymore, and that i didnt really fight any pokemon that gave hp evs from level 50 to 55, i can probably safely assume that my hp ev was 50 at the time of the battles, given i fought one pokemon to level charizard up from 47 or so to 50 because of a very handy glitch that somehow ended up giving me over 12k exp (has anyone ever reported having that glitch? Kinda messed me up seeing my level shoot up 2 or 3 times for killing one tentacruel)

Sadly mobile is ass for me to provide you calcs but I'll drop you a screen, assuming your zard has at least 100 attack EVs. But you're legit trying to argue against the person that designed not only their A.I. but their stats, moveset and items, you're in the wrong buddy.

Also its not a glitch. Its stored exp, it happens once your pokemon reaches the obedience cap.

This is a calculator given rachel stats, please not that holding lefties on k9 means only 37% of 3hko which he also happens to have. I switched the levels around by mistake but its a very similiar result.

iygUjcv_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

This is a calculator given rachel stats, please not that holding lefties on k9 means only 37% of 3hko which he also happens to have. I switched the levels around by mistake but its a very similiar result.

The recoil from Arcanine's Wild Charge deals more damage to it than Leftovers recovers, it becomes a guaranteed 3HKO again as a result.

7 hours ago, SirOCallaghan said:

Yeah no. Rache knows the EV/IV spread of the gyms since she designed their teams. If she's telling you that you're wrong, you are wrong. There is no arguing that. The stats have not been buffed for any of the Pokemon at all, if this were even remotely true it'd have to be a blanket buff so you'd see the same issues with NPC trainers. You really should compare the two as well. 

Stat Arcanine vs Charizard

HP      90                  78

Atk    110                 84

Def     80                  78

SpA  100                 109

SpD    80                  85

Spd    95                  100

Tot    555                 534

Given Earthquake is a Physical move, your Charizard won't be able to do much with it, even with it being Super Effective against Arcanine. Wild Charge is also a Physical move, but as you can see, Arcanine's base Attack is much higher than Charizard's base Defense. This is all stuff you should take into account as well. Even without the STAB for Wild Charge Arcanine is still able to do significantly more damage with a Physical move than your Charizard.

Your extra info was pointed out. When you reach level cap any EXP gained is stored until the next time you gain EXP with that Pokemon after increasing your cap. Odds are you stored up around 12k EXP before you increased your cap.

3 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

Yeah no. Rache knows the EV/IV spread of the gyms since she designed their teams. If she's telling you that you're wrong, you are wrong. There is no arguing that. The stats have not been buffed for any of the Pokemon at all, if this were even remotely true it'd have to be a blanket buff so you'd see the same issues with NPC trainers. You really should compare the two as well. 

Stat Arcanine vs Charizard

HP      90                  78

Atk    110                 84

Def     80                  78

SpA  100                 109

SpD    80                  85

Spd    95                  100

Tot    555                 534

Given Earthquake is a Physical move, your Charizard won't be able to do much with it, even with it being Super Effective against Arcanine. Wild Charge is also a Physical move, but as you can see, Arcanine's base Attack is much higher than Charizard's base Defense. This is all stuff you should take into account as well. Even without the STAB for Wild Charge Arcanine is still able to do significantly more damage with a Physical move than your Charizard.

Your extra info was pointed out. When you reach level cap any EXP gained is stored until the next time you gain EXP with that Pokemon after increasing your cap. Odds are you stored up around 12k EXP before you increased your cap.

Why do you think im just going to let slide someone trying to tell me that i didnt see exactly what i saw?