RMT OU (Updated)

I have literally never played a Pokemon game against other players so this is my first ever team comp. I haven't invested in it yet so it is still subject to change, (hence why I'm here.) I am long familiar with pokemon and have watched a good amount of VGC doubles so I am aware with the basics. My Kingdra is designed for both doubles and single with Muddy Water but that is it.

Sometimes information such as EVs or items was left out but that was for suggestions since I'm unsure on a bunch.

Pellipper - Drizzle - Defensively trained - Damp Rock

- Defog

- Scald

- Hurricane

- Roost

Kingdra - Modest - SpA & Spe maxed EV - Life orb -

- Muddy water

- Draco meteor

- Hydro pump

- Ice beam

Volcarona - Modest nature - 240 HP, 120 DEF, & 148 SPD - Passho berry

- Quiver dance

- Roost

- Fiery dance

- bug buzz

Conkelldur - guts - Adamant - 120 HP, 252 Atk, 120 SpD, 16 Spd - Choice band

- Drain punch

- Bulk up

- Mach punch

- Stone edge

Gengar - Modest - Sludge - HP and Speed with 16 SpA EV

-  Shadow Ball

- Will-O-Wisp

- taunt

- Focus Blast

Ferrothorn - Adamant - (2 speed IV to outspeed opposing Ferrothorns) HP and Defense EVs - Leftovers

- Stealth Rock

- Leech seed

- Gyro Ball

- Protect/Power whip

Edited by NucleaRooster4
To update my team based off of suggestions.
3 hours ago, NucleaRooster4 said:

I have literally never played a Pokemon game against other players so this is my first ever team comp. I haven't invested in it yet so it is still subject to change, (hence why I'm here.) I am long familiar with pokemon and have watched a good amount of VGC doubles so I am aware with the basics. Also, I would like to use some of them in doubles too so I might have some weird looking moves such as muddy water or wide guard.

Sometimes information such as EVs or items was left out but that was for suggestions since I'm unsure on a bunch.

- Defog

- Scald

- Hurricane

- Toxic

Kingdra - Modest - SpA & Spe maxed EV - specs -

- Muddy water

- Draco meteor

- Hydro pump

- Ice beam

Volcarona - Modest nature - 248 HP, 112 DEF, & 148 SPD - Health or status berry

- Quiver dance

- Roost

- flamethrower

- bug buzz

Machamp - No guard - Adamant - unsure training but will probably end up with max attack and mixed HP and Speed - unsure item

- Dynamic punch

- Wide guard

- Fire punch

- Bullet Punch or Stone Edge

-  Shadow Ball

- Will-O-Wisp

- taunt

- Sludge bomb

Ferrothorn - Adamant - (Smogon recomends high speed investment since G-ball hits its cap at 6 times slower) and HP and Defense EVs - Leftovers

- Stealth Rock

- Leech seed

- Gyro Ball

- Protect

Kingdra and pelliper is a good lead. Machamp should be replaced with conkeldurr since he's just way better. Gengar is basically an all rounder since he is good in most teams. Ferro should be relaxed with 0 speed iv and 0 speed ev's since the slower he is the harder gyro ball hits and he is then obviously a favorable mon when you face someone with trick room. As for volca I'd suggest to rather go for smth else. Suggestions : Milotic, salamence, hydreigon.

Flamethrower seems odd on Volcarona. Have a look at Fiery Dance (or Fire Blast or w/e). I'm not too familiar with bulky Volcarona, but a SDef investment seems inefficient to me.  Quiver Dance gives you Sdef and Volcarona's base Sdef is "good enough", especially compared to its Def. 

Or did you actually have specific Pokemon on your mind to counter with these spreads and calc them?

Other than that I only have some general information for you that might be useful:

We play comps on LV 50, keep that in mind when deciding for EVs (many 248 HP reccomendations on smogon are "wrong" for PokeMMO eg., like your Gengar) and IVs (due to rounding you can get away with only using 30 IVs in non invested stats, a lot of times).

The only way for you to play Doubles currently is in tournaments or by finding players yourself, there's no matchmaking for it. So you might reconsider going for a hybrid single/doubles team, since you will lack certain tools in doubles, and miss power/coverage in single (I'm a doubles noob but I reckon sets are pretty different).

Edited by Caliginosus
3 hours ago, Caliginosus said:

Flamethrower seems odd on Volcarona. Have a look at Fiery Dance (or Fire Blast or w/e). I'm not too familiar with bulky Volcarona, but a SDef investment seems inefficient to me.  Quiver Dance gives you Sdef and Volcarona's base Sdef is "good enough", especially compared to its Def. 

Or did you actually have specific Pokemon on your mind to counter with these spreads and calc them?

Other than that I only have some general information for you that might be useful:

We play comps on LV 50, keep that in mind when deciding for EVs (many 248 HP reccomendations on smogon are "wrong" for PokeMMO eg., like your Gengar) and IVs (due to rounding you can get away with only using 30 IVs in non invested stats, a lot of times).

The only way for you to play Doubles currently is in tournaments or by finding players yourself, there's no matchmaking for it. So you might reconsider going for a hybrid single/doubles team, since you will lack certain tools in doubles, and miss power/coverage in single (I'm a doubles noob but I reckon sets are pretty different).

I went with the normal defensive investment into Volcarona because it already has great SpD. And as you said, quiver dance already boosts SpD so it would be an even worse investment. Also, Flamethrower does more damage than fiery dance so it isn't that great. There are more powerful moves but they either lower stats or have a high enough chance to miss. The Volcarona EVs were specifically meant for it to have a safe setup for quiver dance and not just counting on an opponent switch or protect. I probably should have written in the specifics more for Volcarona, thanks.

I'll definitely take another look at EVs to design them for level fifty and you're probably right that I'll have to focus on either singles or doubles and that I shouldn't spread for both.

Seriously thank you, this post was helpful.

8 hours ago, Goku said:

Kingdra and pelliper is a good lead. Machamp should be replaced with conkeldurr since he's just way better. Gengar is basically an all rounder since he is good in most teams. Ferro should be relaxed with 0 speed iv and 0 speed ev's since the slower he is the harder gyro ball hits and he is then obviously a favorable mon when you face someone with trick room. As for volca I'd suggest to rather go for smth else. Suggestions : Milotic, salamence, hydreigon.

I originally wanted Machamp since his Dynamic punch (120 attack plus confusion) is guaranteed to hit, he's slightly faster and takes more hits. I hadn't looked at Conkeldurr because I originally didn't like his stats. Now that I'm looking at them they seem great so I must have been pretty dumb. I'm thinking of using Drain Punch, Thunder Punch (since I don't have any electric on my team,) Mach Punch, and probably fire punch for ferrothorn.

I wanted Volcarona for type coverage so I'm a little skeptical putting a third water type or another dragon on my team. Is Blissey/Chansey worth getting or maybe a Snorlax instead?

Edited by NucleaRooster4
12 minutes ago, NucleaRooster4 said:

I originally wanted Machamp since his Dynamic punch (120 attack plus confusion) is guaranteed to hit, he's slightly faster and takes more hits. I hadn't looked at Conkeldurr because I originally didn't like his stats. Now that I'm looking at them they seem great so I must have been pretty dumb. I'm thinking of using Drain Punch, Thunder Punch (since I don't have any electric on my team,) Mach Punch, and probably fire punch for ferrothorn.

I wanted Volcarona for type coverage so I'm a little skeptical putting a third water type or another dragon on my team. Is Blissey/Chansey worth getting or maybe a Snorlax instead?

There are a lot of choices tbh, but volca isn't any good because people run ttar and then volca is useless.

1 hour ago, NucleaRooster4 said:

I went with the normal defensive investment into Volcarona because it already has great SpD. And as you said, quiver dance already boosts SpD so it would be an even worse investment. Also, Flamethrower does more damage than fiery dance so it isn't that great. There are more powerful moves but they either lower stats or have a high enough chance to miss. The Volcarona EVs were specifically meant for it to have a safe setup for quiver dance and not just counting on an opponent switch or protect. I probably should have written in the specifics more for Volcarona, thanks.

I'll definitely take another look at EVs to design them for level fifty and you're probably right that I'll have to focus on either singles or doubles and that I shouldn't spread for both.

Seriously thank you, this post was helpful.

But you listed Volcarona with 148 Sdef, probably a typo then, otherwise I don't understand what you're saying.

Flamethrower is 12.5% stronger than Fiery Dance, but Fiery Dance has a 50% chance for +1 Satk. Makes especially sense if you invest into bulk.

Not trying to push this idea onto you, of course there's many viable ways and sets.

Your welcome mate!

2 minutes ago, Caliginosus said:

But you listed Volcarona with 148 Sdef, probably a typo then, otherwise I don't understand what you're saying.

Flamethrower is 12.5% stronger than Fiery Dance, but Fiery Dance has a 50% chance for +1 Satk. Makes especially sense if you invest into bulk.

Not trying to push this idea onto you, of course there's many viable ways and sets.

Your welcome mate!

In my original post I said "Volcarona - Modest nature - 248 HP, 112 DEF, & 148 SPD - Health or status berry." I wasn't aware that Fiery dance had that high of a chance to increase stats so I will switch that now. Thanks!

On 10/17/2019 at 5:28 AM, NucleaRooster4 said:

I have literally never played a Pokemon game against other players so this is my first ever team comp. I haven't invested in it yet so it is still subject to change, (hence why I'm here.) I am long familiar with pokemon and have watched a good amount of VGC doubles so I am aware with the basics. My Kingdra is designed for both doubles and single with Muddy Water but that is it.

- Defog

- Scald

- Hurricane

- Toxic

Kingdra - Modest - SpA & Spe maxed EV - Life orb -

- Muddy water

- Draco meteor

- Hydro pump

- Ice beam

Volcarona - Modest nature - 240 HP, 120 DEF, & 148 SPD - Passho berry

- Quiver dance

- Roost

- flamethrower

- bug buzz

Conkelldur - guts - Adamant - 120 HP, 252 Atk, 120 SpD, 16 Spd - Choice band

- Drain punch

- Thunder punch

- Mach punch

- Fire punch

-  Shadow Ball

- Will-O-Wisp

- taunt

- Sludge bomb

Ferrothorn - Adamant - (2 speed IV to outspeed opposing Ferrothorns) HP and Defense EVs - Leftovers

- Stealth Rock

- Leech seed

- Gyro Ball

- Protect/Power whip

Care to explain to me, why does outspeeding other ferrothorns matter, while reducing gyro ball damage vs important mons?

Sball/bomb mono type gengar, is legit asking scizor to come in and mess your day up. Not only that, but you cant defend against common dark types.

Guts, choice banded? Guts usually is paired with flame orb to activate the very dank damage, iron fist (cba to check if its ha) is the one that usually pairs with cband.

While bulky volcarona has its merit, I struggle a lot to understand what role does it play in a rain team.

Muddy water is mostly used in doubles, ino reason to run it as a water stab over surf.

Since pelipper plays a really important role on your team, you should have roost on it, since you arent even running leftovers. Id take out toxic, toxic isnt rven that great on it, since you're likely to see chansey/blissey/ferrothorn switched on it.

Edited by razimove
1 hour ago, razimove said:

Care to explain to me, why does outspeeding other ferrothorns matter, while reducing gyro ball damage vs important mons?

Sball/bomb mono type gengar, is legit asking scizor to come in and mess your day up. Not only that, but you cant defend against common dark types.

Guts, choice banded? Guts usually is paired with flame orb to activate the very dank damage, iron fist (cba to check if its ha) is the one that usually pairs with cband.

While bulky volcarona has its merit, I struggle a lot to understand what role does it play in a rain team.

Muddy water is mostly used in doubles, ino reason to run it as a water stab over surf.

Since pelipper plays a really important role on your team, you should have roost on it, since you arent even running leftovers. Id take out toxic, toxic isnt rven that great on it, since you're likely to see chansey/blissey/ferrothorn switched on it.

Gyro Ball caps out maximum damage when it it 6 times slower than what it's attacking. Smogon even recommends investing into speed for Ferrothorn because it doesn't really affect Gyro Ball. The 2 IV is only for the niche scenario of Ferrothorn vs Ferrothorn to ensure the win and makes no difference in damage to all other pokemon. I don't even think that this rare scenario will even play out, but if it does, then I can win it.

What move set should Gengar have, I've never used him?

Isn't Iron fist a hidden ability for Conkelldur? Am I wrong or is Guts and Hidden iron fist a thing.

Volcarona is a coverage pokemon who should not be out in the rain.

Hydo Pump is the main water STAB for my Kingdra, Muddy Water is as you said for my doubles team when I make it.

I forgot Pelipper can learn Roost so I'll replace toxic for it.

Thanks for the critiques, I do want to know how to improve my Gengar set though?

Edited by NucleaRooster4
7 hours ago, NucleaRooster4 said:

Gyro Ball caps out maximum damage when it it 6 times slower than what it's attacking. Smogon even recommends investing into speed for Ferrothorn because it doesn't really affect Gyro Ball. The 2 IV is only for the niche scenario of Ferrothorn vs Ferrothorn to ensure the win and makes no difference in damage to all other pokemon. I don't even think that this rare scenario will even play out, but if it does, then I can win it.

What move set should Gengar have, I've never used him?

Isn't Iron fist a hidden ability for Conkelldur? Am I wrong or is Guts and Hidden iron fist a thing.

Volcarona is a coverage pokemon who should not be out in the rain.

Hydo Pump is the main water STAB for my Kingdra, Muddy Water is as you said for my doubles team when I make it.

I forgot Pelipper can learn Roost so I'll replace toxic for it.

Thanks for the critiques, I do want to know how to improve my Gengar set though?

Gengar needs focus blast, its almost a requirement for most sets. Otherwise big boy ttar just pursuit traps you for free, and ignore anything you throw at him. 

Dont run muddy water on singles, nor use the same mon for doubles and singles, you'll need different sets and evs for both.

For coverage you have much better options, and since im guessing is to try wnd beat scizor/ferrothorns etc, conk already does it. Iton fist might be HA yeah, so you'd most likely eant to run either flame orb, or lefties with bulk up + stone edge, the second can beat cofwgrigus. You're with damp rock, so it will always take you 8 turns minimim for every time you want to maximize volcarona potential mate.

About ferrothorn speed investment, on a thorn 1 on 1, you'll never win by hitting him back, as you'll both end up struggling, smogon sets are also pretty meh for pokemmo as our meta is very different due to lack of certain species, no permanent weathers, no HA, no legendaries, gen 7 movesets/abilities etc.

I can provide you some calcs later when I stop being lazy about gyro ball.

About gengar sets, I particularly like running sub disable and taunt painsplit with sball and focus blast

Edited by razimove
On 10/17/2019 at 5:54 PM, Goku said:

There are a lot of choices tbh, but volca isn't any good because people run ttar and then volca is useless.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

2 hours ago, razimove said:

Gengar needs focus blast, its almost a requirement for most sets. Otherwise big boy ttar just pursuit traps you for free, and ignore anything you throw at him. 

Dont run muddy water on singles, nor use the same mon for doubles and singles, you'll need different sets and evs for both.

For coverage you have much better options, and since im guessing is to try wnd beat scizor/ferrothorns etc, conk already does it. Iton fist might be HA yeah, so you'd most likely eant to run either flame orb, or lefties with bulk up + stone edge, the second can beat cofwgrigus. You're with damp rock, so it will always take you 8 turns minimim for every time you want to maximize volcarona potential mate.

About ferrothorn speed investment, on a thorn 1 on 1, you'll never win by hitting him back, as you'll both end up struggling, smogon sets are also pretty meh for pokemmo as our meta is very different due to lack of certain species, no permanent weathers, no HA, no legendaries, gen 7 movesets/abilities etc.

I can provide you some calcs later when I stop being lazy about gyro ball.

About gengar sets, I particularly like running sub disable and taunt painsplit with sball and focus blast

I've changed the Gengar set for focus blast. I'm considering removing taunt but he could make a good lead. What do you guys think.

My main water STAB for Kingdra is Hydro Pump so Muddy water shouldn't affect me.

I like the Idea of having multiple pokemon that are able to set upso I'll change Conkelldur as you said.

At the end you lost me, you named like six moves for Gengar without really saying which ones I should do. I assume Shadow ball and focus blast go together but with what.

Thanks again, it was a big help.

5 hours ago, NucleaRooster4 said:

I've changed the Gengar set for focus blast. I'm considering removing taunt but he could make a good lead. What do you guys think.

My main water STAB for Kingdra is Hydro Pump so Muddy water shouldn't affect me.

I like the Idea of having multiple pokemon that are able to set upso I'll change Conkelldur as you said.

At the end you lost me, you named like six moves for Gengar without really saying which ones I should do. I assume Shadow ball and focus blast go together but with what.

Thanks again, it was a big help.

About gengar, the thing about gengar yhat is really awesome, is how vast his move pool is. There's so many sets each with their niche.

Personally the ones I've tested as of lately,

But there's 2 sets in particular that I find the best, and both can win and stall the fat blob mons, sub/disable/shadow ball, focus blast and taunt/pain split/sball/fblast. Theres also scarf/specs gengars, more niche destiny bond versions aswell, all out attackers with tbolt and psychic/giga drain.

So many viable choices, I dislike running sludge bomb/poison stab, especially considering the usage charts, big boy scizor and ferrothorn are up there. Not to mention ttar, fat blobs etc.