3D battle models instead of sprites.

kuplion

Question

Now that large parts of MMO are now rendered 3D models, it would be fantastic to also utilise the 3D models of the later games for battles instead of sprites (or screen cap edits of those later game models).

Is this be something that is being worked on, or on the roadmap?

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Anthrazit said:

I assume it would be difficult as they would need access to one of the roms to derive the info from.

I would imagine they would use the roms exactly as they do currently, so that’s not really an issue. And by that I mean that the burden of responsibility is on the end user to supply the roms in an unencrypted state.

1 hour ago, Anthrazit said:

There are mods available that you could use instead/while waiting

Yup, I made reference to those in my original post and whilst they’re definitely a better quality than the Black/White sprites, they’re still rife with issues, and most lack decent back sprites that are of a similar quality.

Edited by kuplion
On 10/4/2019 at 8:04 AM, kuplion said:

I would imagine they would use the roms exactly as they do currently, so that’s not really an issue. And by that I mean that the burden of responsibility is on the end user to supply the roms in an unencrypted state.

Did you see the post Anthrazit linked? Kyu's exact words:

There are a lot of problems with it from legal/technical perspectives, as this was the generation when encryption started occurring for ROMs. Basic things like how Gen 6 introduced 3D character models, and changed the movement system into 8-directional (I think they achieved omni-directional in gen 7?) are also problems due to the character model requirements for it, and we'd probably have to trash our work on character customization to make it feasible.

Eventually we're going to run out of NDS regions so we'll probably try at some point if we think funding is good for a serious attempt at it. It would probably take several years though, and by the time we get to that point, there'll probably be another handheld generation which we'd try for, as the 3DS has already reached the end of its lifespan.

So like, potentially. He even said they might consider adding future gen pokemons in the game. So once they're out of things to do they'll probably go straight to 3D regions of the future. It's all up in the air right now, but Kyu's right, extracting stuff from gens 6 and 7 are possible but it would require a LOT of work to adapt the game for it.