UU & NU matchmaking doesn't work

lallo17

I have a simple question, why under used and never used matches never work?

I am honestly sick of playing against the same pokemon with the same moves over and over in OU tier, so I tried to switch to UU and NU tier but not a single match can ever be found; maybe I am doing something wrong... can someone please explain me how does it works?

Thanks.

p.s.: I tried at the same time of a bunch of friends of mine (to be sure it was not a momentarely lack of opponents in the tier) but nothing happened...

There is a minimum amount of people required before matchmaking can start pairing people up, it's so people don't have the ability to match-fix reliably with a few friends, similar to what you tried to do just to get matchmaking to work.

There is little that PokeMMO's staff can currently do in order to alleviate the lack of matchmaking for those tiers, however for Ranked it tends to get more matches than Unranked due to people knowing when it will start, and it being a limited time thing more people tend to take the time to play during that period (which means you'll actually get matches).
Players dictate which tiers they play, more people gravitated to OU initially because it had fan-favourites available (Gengar, Salamence, Metagross etc) and that pulls more people to them from NU / UU to play with them and that gradually causes a drop in the number of players in those tiers, causing it to get gradually worse over time.

Sadly all I can give for advice is to try and play during peak times and give Ranked a go for those tiers if you want more opportunities to play, that and tournaments for those tiers.
And of course, just playing with friends for those tiers. This is an issue but it's one that difficult to solve without basically forcing people to play tiers they may not even wish to.

10 minutes ago, razimove said:

There's lots. Introduce seasons, soft reset ladder ranking every X months, give prizes to the top contenders of each tier, change BP values per win of X tiers, so much stuff, stop making stupid excuses.

Well that seems like stuff normal staff has little to no influence on.

3 minutes ago, WildHodor said:

Well that seems like stuff normal staff has little to no influence on.

normal staff, indeed. Tbh it's all Squirtle, Squirtle just waves his head to devs ideas. But either way, there are ways to make it a more pleasing and engaging experience, they just dont care cause 1% of the chinese population play MM.

52 minutes ago, Matoka said:

There is a minimum amount of people required before matchmaking can start pairing people up, it's so people don't have the ability to match-fix reliably with a few friends, similar to what you tried to do just to get matchmaking to work.

There is little that PokeMMO's staff can currently do in order to alleviate the lack of matchmaking for those tiers, however for Ranked it tends to get more matches than Unranked due to people knowing when it will start, and it being a limited time thing more people tend to take the time to play during that period (which means you'll actually get matches).
Players dictate which tiers they play, more people gravitated to OU initially because it had fan-favourites available (Gengar, Salamence, Metagross etc) and that pulls more people to them from NU / UU to play with them and that gradually causes a drop in the number of players in those tiers, causing it to get gradually worse over time.

Sadly all I can give for advice is to try and play during peak times and give Ranked a go for those tiers if you want more opportunities to play, that and tournaments for those tiers.
And of course, just playing with friends for those tiers. This is an issue but it's one that difficult to solve without basically forcing people to play tiers they may not even wish to.

Thank you for answering, I'll try with ranked next time :)

I was just afraid that the playerbase could have been the problem; I hope that in the future more players would open their mind to other pokémon and movesets rather than the usually OU/Smogon copied ones :'(

53 minutes ago, razimove said:

if you already know the sets, what prevents you from playing with less meta mons in OU? Just have fun bro

Because I wanted to try some of the not-so-competitive pokemon teams in a more competitive enviroment (without being destroyed by Hydreigon/Salamance/Dragonite with a single shot) in order to understand their true potential...and earning some BP in the meantime XD

Edited by lallo17
24 minutes ago, lallo17 said:

without being destroyed by Hydreigon/Salamance/Dragonite with a single shot

Spoiler

fun fact, they all share a common weakness the 3, amazing isnt it? ^^

25 minutes ago, lallo17 said:

in order to understand their true potential

It's MM, you learn 0 in MM, considering MM is full of randoms and casuals. Play Tournaments for that. 

1 hour ago, razimove said:

There's lots. Introduce seasons, soft reset ladder ranking every X months, give prizes to the top contenders of each tier, change BP values per win of X tiers, so much stuff, stop making stupid excuses.

I wasn't trying to make any excuses, please understand that I said "there is nothing that staff can do currently" because in our current patch we are incapable of doing anything manually, the things you have described would require patches and new features which non-developer staff do not have the ability to add.

I am personally not in disagreement with some aspects from what you mentioned being considered and implemented into the game, but I cannot speak for the Devs and I was simply explaining that staff cannot magically snap their fingers and make people play UU / NU more currently in response to the relevant question of "why is it like this currently."

22 hours ago, razimove said:

What even is an actual pokemon lol but that does say alot why you can't win, it's you, not them that is the problem ;) gl on future advenures.

The reason of this post has never been arguing if the problem it's me or the meta, but understanding why NU & UU tiers matchmaking doesn't work.

I had the answers I was searching for;

thanks everybody, specially Matoka, for the help.

• 2 months later...

Hi, everybody. I know this thread is a little bit old and the main answers were given, but I didn't want to start a different thread since this one's still open and the content would have been similar.

On 9/27/2019 at 5:55 PM, Matoka said:

I understand what the current condition is, but I wanted to ask @Matoka for a few more elucidations about what was explained here.

1) Sorry, I know you kind of explained this already, but it still is a bit unclear to me: by "match-fixing" you mean the act of creating a group that allows for a certain degree of control on  players you'll be facing? And if that's the case, would it be an issue that big for UU and NU, considering how low the demand for those formats (sadly) is?

2) As for the actual number of online players required in order to start matchmaking, is that amount known? Because I was thinking that one thing that could be tried, independently from the previous question, would be to adjust the threshold for UU and NU matchmaking, not that much that it could be a problem, but just as an experiment, to see if "niche" categories need to be managed differently than the "mainstream" one.

Of course I'm saying that without any knowledge of the numbers, so I'd understand if what I suggest could be unfeasible.

I guess that pushing the NU and UU matchmaking buttons is becoming less and less frequent, even for people interested in those matches, also because everyone knows that is quite pointless to even try. At this point the only way would be to manage to recreate a smaller group of players for UU/NU that will than expand, but those few players have few means to find each other, and none at all to turn their private battles into a core of trainers that is not independent from the official matchmaking: that hypothetical group would be invisible, since those would all be private battles, that will not even provide BP.

Thanks in advance for the answers. I hope that these considerations will help to find some solution to revive all formats.

Maybe it would help to show how many players are in the queue, sort of like a lobby. Being able to see that there's already X others waiting would greatly increase the incentive to wait for more players.

Or Dailies, or whatever has been suggested before.

I can't believe there's less than 8 players online at any given time wanting to play NU/UU/LC/Dubs (IIRC that was the number of players required). I guess its more like no one even tries (rightfully so, as it's depressing).

2 hours ago, Caliginosus said:

Maybe it would help to show how many players are in the queue, sort of like a lobby. Being able to see that there's already X others waiting would greatly increase the incentive to wait for more players.

Or Dailies, or whatever has been suggested before.

I can't believe there's less than 8 players online at any given time wanting to play NU/UU/LC/Dubs (IIRC that was the number of players required). I guess its more like no one even tries (rightfully so, as it's depressing).

Tbh I do think this would help, something so simple, that would allow us to gauge if there's enough people interest in the queue or not.

Im against dailies, instead give ladder soft resets every couple months, like seasons, and give the top10 bracket some reward, so people strive to achieve those ranks. Rn its all memes, ladder is a complete joke.