Leveling caps disproportionately weaken pokemon

Weedle

Question

The only advantage of many bug pokemon is that they belong to the fast experience group. Where the subpar stats are supposed to be offset by higher levels. However with level caps, a butterfree is subject to to same leveling limitations as a tryanitar. Leveling caps obviously favor pokemon that belong to the slow experience group, as they tend to be stronger per level. I suggest that if these level caps are to be maintained, then modify the level caps to be different for each experience group.

15 answers to this question

39 minutes ago, Weedle said:

Leveling caps obviously favor pokemon that belong to the slow experience group, as they tend to be stronger per level. I suggest that if these level caps are to be maintained, then modify the level caps to be different for each experience group.

I understand the point you're making, but this would be incredibly confusing from the perspective of a new player (which the level caps pretty much exclusively effect).

The way level capping is done should be looked at; I understand that with the GTL high level pokemon are easily obtainable and for cheap, but as ive been playing through Kanto ive noticed just leveling to complete story Im having a hard time keeping under the cap. the level difference between badges 6 & 7 is only a 3 level bump from 46 to 50. Thats relatively low level for taking on the 7th gym. Im unfamiliar, but does the cap effect OT's different from pokemon purchased or traded for?

37 minutes ago, IGymLeaderGreenI said:

The way level capping is done should be looked at; I understand that with the GTL high level pokemon are easily obtainable and for cheap, but as ive been playing through Kanto ive noticed just leveling to complete story Im having a hard time keeping under the cap. the level difference between badges 6 & 7 is only a 3 level bump from 46 to 50. Thats relatively low level for taking on the 7th gym. Im unfamiliar, but does the cap effect OT's different from pokemon purchased or traded for?

It doesnt affect either bought or obtain pokemons, all have the same, you can check your lvl cap on trainer card.

About that, the game is already pretty easy, I really dont see a need to tweak it further. They could provide some ingame guide for newbies to give them an idea of what to do, since most come here from the handhelds where thry can just faceroll

51 minutes ago, razimove said:

It doesnt affect either bought or obtain pokemons, all have the same, you can check your lvl cap on trainer card.

About that, the game is already pretty easy, I really dont see a need to tweak it further. They could provide some ingame guide for newbies to give them an idea of what to do, since most come here from the handhelds where thry can just faceroll

Im aware of where I can check it. It's too easy to out level the cap even without obtaining pokemon from gtl/trade; so they should change the way OT's are capped or experience gained from trainer battles should be looked at. Im actively having to avoid battles to save pokes for gym leader battles just to raise my cap. Between 3 badges my cap went up 10 levels? That just seems really low. Alternatively scaling npc levels to your team would even be a better solution than the way they currently cap things.  

13 hours ago, IGymLeaderGreenI said:

Im aware of where I can check it. It's too easy to out level the cap even without obtaining pokemon from gtl/trade; so they should change the way OT's are capped or experience gained from trainer battles should be looked at. Im actively having to avoid battles to save pokes for gym leader battles just to raise my cap. Between 3 badges my cap went up 10 levels? That just seems really low. Alternatively scaling npc levels to your team would even be a better solution than the way they currently cap things.  

When leveling up pokemon, you can't go above the cap. Gained exp will be stored so not lost, but you won't go above your max obedience 

Edited by hannahtaylor
On 9/26/2019 at 12:43 AM, razimove said:

Originally the game was single player, and wasn't even meant to be competitive.

To be fair though, we're strictly talking about PvE here. You can't exactly be competitive in this game without a properly trained team of min. level 50 pokemon anyway. And the level unlocks only from the PvE experience, not the PvP. 

1 hour ago, LovelyDumpling said:

To be fair though, we're strictly talking about PvE here. You can't exactly be competitive in this game without a properly trained team of min. level 50 pokemon anyway. And the level unlocks only from the PvE experience, not the PvP. 

Was just to provide him an example that the argument he gave was bad, nothing else.

But what difference does it make when you can beat the entire Unova league with just a Butterfree and a Bibarel? (Speaking from experience) I can't think of any in-story limitations the current level cap system provides other than forcing you to think about your next move and what the Pokemon you're using are most useful for.