Secret bases feel like wasted potential

Roundabout

Question

Hey. since Platinum is to be released soon (TM), I've been looking back to this game after a long time. Thinking back, I believe Secret Bases are one of the coolest features ever introduced in a Pokemon game, and it at least seemed like they would be even more interesting in a multiplayer like PokeMMO, but they just aren't, because they are still about the same as they were in vanilla: small, and with almost no utility. They are no good even for afking, I'd rather do it in any Pokemon Center because they have a PC. I know that this has been discussed before, and never was done (adding a PC to bases, that is) because it would make secret bases OP by making farming easier/cheaper etc. I dont know how to solve the problem and thats why this post isn't a suggestion, but I believe some thought should be given, as it is such a cool feature that is almost useless in its current state.

Edited by Roundabout
grammar

10 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Roundabout said:

Hey. since Platinum is to be released soon (TM), I've been looking back to this game after a long time. Thinking back, I believe Secret Bases are one of the coolest features ever introduced in a Pokemon game, and it at least seemed like they would be even more interesting in a multiplayer like PokeMMO, but they just aren't, because they are still about the same as they were in vanilla: small, and with almost no utility. They are no good even for afking, I'd rather do it in any Pokemon Center because they have a PC. I know that this has been discussed before, and never was done (adding a PC to bases, that is) because it would make secret bases OP by making farming easier/cheaper etc. I dont know how to solve the problem and thats why this post isn't a suggestion, but I believe some thought should be given, as it is such a cool feature that is almost useless in its current state.

How would farming be easier or cheaper? Unless some specific farming spot is close to a base spot, and even then, would be a terrible excuse not to implement something in this regard.

But well, unova isnt complete yet, nor is hoenn even and was released years ago, so chances are things like this arent likely to happen anytime soon.

1 minute ago, razimove said:

How would farming be easier or cheaper? Unless some specific farming spot is close to a base spot, and even then, would be a terrible excuse not to implement something in this regard.

But well, unova isnt complete yet, nor is hoenn even and was released years ago, so chances are things like this arent likely to happen anytime soon.

Because you would just use the secret base instead of buying Leppas. Its their excuse at least (idk if its justified or not, since I've been away for a while)

14 minutes ago, Roundabout said:

Because you would just use the secret base instead of buying Leppas. Its their excuse at least (idk if its justified or not, since I've been away for a while)

I mean, there's no 'big hunting' spot near secret bases that I know of, even feebas is single encounter so it wouldn't really ruin anything?

20 minutes ago, razimove said:

I mean, there's no 'big hunting' spot near secret bases that I know of, even feebas is single encounter so it wouldn't really ruin anything?

Yeah, looking back in the older threads I dont think the staff's arguments were good at all, and there plenty of ways to solve the """problem""" but they just didn't want to :( . I hope they do reconsider through, given how cool the concept is.

1 minute ago, Roundabout said:

Yeah, looking back in the older threads I dont think the staff's arguments were good at all, and there plenty of ways to solve the """problem""" but they just didn't want to :( . I hope they do reconsider through, given how cool the concept is.

So you're encountering an age old issue with this game and something that wont likely change. There is so much overworld and so little "meat" to chew on so to speak. The community, especially early on was so concerned with wanting more pokemon and places to go that over time thats really become the devs focus for better or for worse. Small detail stuff like this has gone to the wayside thanks to new region and pokemon implementation and the never ending balancing and bug fixing that has come with that. Pokemon wasnt meant to be played like this so the reality is this game will always be comp or social centric with little to do other than grind and explore. Thats supposed to be its charm I guess. More dynamic housing would be great but is probably unlikely to happen do to it really not being an essential game function. 

2 hours ago, IGymLeaderGreenI said:

So you're encountering an age old issue with this game and something that wont likely change. There is so much overworld and so little "meat" to chew on so to speak. The community, especially early on was so concerned with wanting more pokemon and places to go that over time thats really become the devs focus for better or for worse. Small detail stuff like this has gone to the wayside thanks to new region and pokemon implementation and the never ending balancing and bug fixing that has come with that. Pokemon wasnt meant to be played like this so the reality is this game will always be comp or social centric with little to do other than grind and explore. Thats supposed to be its charm I guess. More dynamic housing would be great but is probably unlikely to happen do to it really not being an essential game function. 

Yeah, but after they implement gen 4 I believe it will pretty hard to make progress, as 3ds emulation is still not easy.. Hopefully we'll see some improvements then.

12 hours ago, Roundabout said:

Yeah, but after they implement gen 4 I believe it will pretty hard to make progress, as 3ds emulation is still not easy.. Hopefully we'll see some improvements then.

Well, hopefully, they start actually working towards something the veterans want and implement the long 2015 promised dungeons, rhat they supposely started working on the release of Unova, and that was meant to be released 4 months after :D