Gen 8's effect on Pokemmo

Not all the updated mechanics should be implemented here imo. The rapid spin boost for example looks unhealthy for singles, while speed control moves could be devastating for a doubles enviroment. Dunno about the upgraded inner focus, not gonna talk about singles coz I dont play it enough, but I don't see it as a problem in dubs; in fact it would slightly boost the usage of mons that are good but outclassed (ex/ dnite). Maybe we could testban it in mmo just like is done in smogon

Edited by Zigh

So here are my thoughts on the upcoming changes:

I'd really like to avoid Nasty Plot on Gengar/Hydreigon, both of these mons are top tier threats in our meta and really don't need that much of an extra push. Nasty Plot would give Gengar that extra edge to reliably break past Blissey and completely ignore Chansey whatsoever, and Hydreigon really doesn't need a tool as overwhelming as nasty plot in its already very powerful kit. I feel like they'd get kicked to Uber eventually if we go through with it.

Dragon Dance on Hydreigon I'm not sure if it's gonna be a meme or a legit set, either way I'm split on it since Hydreigon is a pretty fringe Pokemon that already had to be modified in order to keep in our meta.

Rapid Spin's buff, I'm not a fan of it either. I believe hazard control's balance is slightly leaning in favor of hazard removal's favor and this buff would make mons like Excadrill and Starmie way harder to keep from punishing if they spin. It's kind of an abstract concept to explain but yeah I feel like it'd kill the viability of a lot of suicide leads and just make everyone run Excadrill as a hazard setter or things that can just set hazards in front of Excadrill, essentially centralizing the whole hazard metagame around Exca.

Excadrill on its own is already a very strong Pokemon whose disadvantage is not having a great speed tier once sand is gone, so it requires good timing to get a sweep going.  Its speed getting boosted at will seems like it'd make it in a much more splashable and scarier sweeper overall, so yeah not a fan.

Intimidate nerfs. On one hand mons like Lucario, Mamoswine and Dragonite are far from being overpowered in OU, Intimidate is a big factor on why offensive teams can play against them at all though, I'm really split on this decision as I believe they won't be Uber worthy with the change, but they will become way way more annoying to deal with in general.

Speed changes in doubles, these are really weird, I'm not a doubles player at all so I'm not sure what to vote, in general I've asked a few players and they seem to have given a positive response towards it, I do believe it may centralize the format into even more tailwind spam but again, I'm not a doubles player.

Unless I'm forgetting something else too big I think I'm fine with the rest of the changes.

Okay, there's something huge that hasn't been mentioned. The 50% berries nerf. They were powerful even in a game where Z moves existed, and are busted in here (Talking about doubles, lefties in singles seem pretty much better except for gluttony users). That's the only change I care about, and I support it 100%

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.