Expand pokedex categories with Yellow OT (Shiny)

Azsure

Question

Not sure if this was already asked, but it just came to me that seeing as the dex is pretty much done once you catch them all, how about adding an extra layer of completionism? Once you get all the green OTs, the next and most likely inhumane task should be to get all the shiny versions of the dex entries, changing the border color from green to golden/yellow.

I understand that some pokemon are impossible to get their shiny versions such as Mewtwo/Rayquaza/Zekrom, but I'm willing to hear out opinions since I just came up with this idea now. Thoughts?

Edited by Azsure

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Azsure said:

Not sure if this was already asked, but it just came to me that seeing as the dex is pretty much done once you catch them all, how about adding an extra layer of completionism? Once you get all the green OTs, the next and most likely inhumane task should be to get all the shiny versions of the dex entries, changing the border color from green to golden/yellow.

I understand that some pokemon are impossible to get their shiny versions such as Mewtwo/Rayquaza/Zekrom, but I'm willing to hear out opinions since I just came up with this idea now. Thoughts?

Good evening Azsure, I would like to address a concern of mine. We already have a lot of shiny hunters on PokeMMO, now imagine a lot of newer players diving into the sport of shiny hunting without exploring other options of making extra in game income. This would single-handedly inflate the shiny market to heights that may be tough to repair. We do not need any more incentives to shiny hunt, but rather, incentives to make money in game and explore from there. It is your choice to hunt for OTs, but it shouldn't be there in your PokeDex. That is just torture for some people.

Edited by Bestfriends
clarification
5 hours ago, Bestfriends said:

Good evening Azsure, I would like to address a concern of mine. We already have a lot of shiny hunters on PokeMMO, now imagine a lot of newer players diving into the sport of shiny hunting without exploring other options of making extra in game income. This would single-handedly inflate the shiny market to heights that may be tough to repair. We do not need any more incentives to shiny hunt, but rather, incentives to make money in game and explore from there. It is your choice to hunt for OTs, but it shouldn't be there in your PokeDex. That is just torture for some people.

What does this have to do with the post really BF? The suggestion improves the pokedex, nothing else, if it works as another incentive so people keep playing, then it's even better, if you dislike shiny hunting, who is forcing you to hunt?

14 hours ago, razimove said:

What does this have to do with the post really BF? The suggestion improves the pokedex, nothing else, if it works as another incentive so people keep playing, then it's even better, if you dislike shiny hunting, who is forcing you to hunt?

That is a good question, right now there are a fair amount of people shiny hunting here on PokeMMO. Now imagine a new Dex category that will only turn a certain color with OTs in your dex. Some people may get bored with their shinies and dump them on the Global Trade Link. There are people out there that would probably do that as I show in my spoiler:

Spoiler

3cb79e385729705e6165a898b3b16597.png

I would assume that by the OT dex, there was an incentive to hunt for Kangaskhan to document it and then dump it. Without the incentive, there would probably be no desire to hunt for Kangaskhan in the safari. Personally, I am alright with this since it makes my dream of a Kangaskhan comp much easier to achieve. However, with a new feature in the dex that would encourage OT hunting, then by that logic, shiny Bellsprout could be as low as 100k give or take in the near future. Besides, they are shiny so we should treat them with care.

In summary, this feature could make a significant decrease in shiny prices. I am not comfortable with this suggestion unless you can give me a reason to not be worried about this point (there are people out there who have investments in shinies and it could hurt their pocketbooks).

1 hour ago, Bestfriends said:

That is a good question, right now there are a fair amount of people shiny hunting here on PokeMMO. Now imagine a new Dex category that will only turn a certain color with OTs in your dex. Some people may get bored with their shinies and dump them on the Global Trade Link. There are people out there that would probably do that as I show in my spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

3cb79e385729705e6165a898b3b16597.png

I would assume that by the OT dex, there was an incentive to hunt for Kangaskhan to document it and then dump it. Without the incentive, there would probably be no desire to hunt for Kangaskhan in the safari. Personally, I am alright with this since it makes my dream of a Kangaskhan comp much easier to achieve. However, with a new feature in the dex that would encourage OT hunting, then by that logic, shiny Bellsprout could be as low as 100k give or take in the near future. Besides, they are shiny so we should treat them with care.

In summary, this feature could make a significant decrease in shiny prices. I am not comfortable with this suggestion unless you can give me a reason to not be worried about this point (there are people out there who have investments in shinies and it could hurt their pocketbooks).

How do you even reach this crazy conclusions? What does one thing have to do with another? Its almost as if you actually mever played pokemmo.

Edited by razimove
4 minutes ago, razimove said:

How do you even reach these conclusions? What does one thing have to do with another? 

Razi, I can debate you till the cows come home, but I am going to give you brief synopsis on my points.

1. I remember before the OT Dex was implemented and safari mons were not that cheap. (As I mentioned before, I am alright with safari mons being cheap because it helps me build comps without breaking my back catching the Kangaskhan myself). If you catch a shiny and want to sell it, then you may have to significantly lower your price so that it can be sold from a sea of unwanted shinies, "I only caught this thing because I wanted it for my OT Dex, but I hate Bellsprout." Have about a good amount of people saying that and shiny Bellsprout may be the shiny that no one wants.

2. I can give you a chart of how this suggestion and my post have a connection:

Shiny OT Dex Section is implemented -> Shiny Hunters Rejoice, but OCD players hate it -> OCD players catch they shinies to complete their dex -> OCD players may have little to no connection with the shiny so they dump it on GTL (since this game has a large population, you can assume that there are a fair amount of OCD players on PokeMMO) -> Now the common shinies could become undesirable.

Spoiler

For the record, I am not OCD, but I've spoken to a fair amount of people that are. That is why I say that it would be visual torture for them. You can go to the Safari and catch a Kangaskhan for your OT Dex, but to catch a shiny Kangaskhan would be a nightmare. It may be enough to make people quit the game.

There is a cause and effect that may need to be considered before this feature is implemented. From what I see, the negatives outweigh the positives.

11 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

Razi, I can debate you till the cows come home, but I am going to give you brief synopsis on my points.

1. I remember before the OT Dex was implemented and safari mons were not that cheap. (As I mentioned before, I am alright with safari mons being cheap because it helps me build comps without breaking my back catching the Kangaskhan myself). If you catch a shiny and want to sell it, then you may have to significantly lower your price so that it can be sold from a sea of unwanted shinies, "I only caught this thing because I wanted it for my OT Dex, but I hate Bellsprout." Have about a good amount of people saying that and shiny Bellsprout may be the shiny that no one wants.

2. I can give you a chart of how this suggestion and my post have a connection:

Shiny OT Dex Section is implemented -> Shiny Hunters Rejoice, but OCD players hate it -> OCD players catch they shinies to complete their dex -> OCD players may have little to no connection with the shiny so they dump it on GTL (since this game has a large population, you can assume that there are a fair amount of OCD players on PokeMMO) -> Now the common shinies could become undesirable.

Reveal hidden contents

For the record, I am not OCD, but I've spoken to a fair amount of people that are. That is why I say that it would be visual torture for them. You can go to the Safari and catch a Kangaskhan for your OT Dex, but to catch a shiny Kangaskhan would be a nightmare. It may be enough to make people quit the game.

There is a cause and effect that may need to be considered before this feature is implemented. From what I see, the negatives outweigh the positives.

Ok BF, I'll put this down real simple for you.

You are trying to find excuses like the kanghaskan one to justify stupid arguments. It has no value, since one, its a safari, so even if many hunt it, it will still float around the 40 mil value, nor will they be able to catch every safari shiny they see, nor will they hunt actively because well its safari and its easier to hatch. Also who cares about safari mons, like there's any ultra rare shiny nowadays with all the hatching that is happening.

Second, chinese community actively hunts on garbodors, yet the price is stable at around 1-1.5m for crap ones, I wonder why, rip the farfetched idea that a shiny would go down to as low as 100k, much less a plant shiny. What even is an OCD player lmao, that's a disorder, I can go in details about it if you really need me to explain to you, and do you really think there's many that suffer from it? Please. And do you think any shiny is undisered? Even tentacruels have use. So stop with dumb excuses.

Edited by razimove
3 minutes ago, Akshit said:

The kind of dex completion that would require account to be passed down to next generation. I really hope my great grandkids complete Shiny OT dex for me.

Don't worry Jonulo's kids will achieve this for him xDD.

@Bestfriends I don't actually see any substance behind the arguments you made. It's a quality of life suggestion that wouldn't change the shiny market or shiny hunting at all. You're telling me that shiny hunting isn't already a popular postgame activity and having a shiny OT indicator would suddenly make it way too popular? What? The market for common horde shinies is already oversaturated, and shiny hunters already hunt as many shinies as they want. Literally nothing would change except the dex looking better. Also, inflation has the opposite meaning to what you used it as in all your arguments. And i hope you don't find any of this offensive, I'm just trying to understand your long-winded series of points here that I don't actually see the substance nor sense in.

And @Azsure this has been suggested in a post that gained some traction in its time, you should upvote it to show your support c:

I'll upvote your suggestion ^_^

I see zero harm to any kind of player except our lord and mayor bestfriends but I'm sure his benevolent self can take a hit to his ego of the rest of the community loves the idea. As both a shiny hunter and a casual player, I'd love to see this implemented, if not for my sake, for Jonulo's 

i made a very detailed post about this with a lovely way to implement it and almost everyone who responded (not including dibby n munya) just took a shit on the idea.

i love the idea and it would really be a nice thing to see implemented but they seem to be more concerned with PvP updates and prolonging the release of the SoonTM region that we will never get.

-have a lovely day. 

18 hours ago, andreuh said:

i made a very detailed post about this with a lovely way to implement it and almost everyone who responded (not including dibby n munya) just took a shit on the idea.

i love the idea and it would really be a nice thing to see implemented but they seem to be more concerned with PvP updates and prolonging the release of the SoonTM region that we will never get.

-have a lovely day. 

ily but nop its rough all over *cough hidden abilities coming in 2030 cough*

but to someone who's decent at coding (hi @NurseMaddi) should be easy to add/mod and it'd be cool to see!

18 hours ago, calidubstep said:

uh bc you're the best mod/coding person i know heh

Can't access the data for shinies caught/seen OT/non-OT because that's server-side data. I've tried. It's not something we can just make a mod for unless we're devs, though I could try to make something where you get to choose which shinies you have/had and have the dex highlight them for you :o *lightbulb*

Edited by Dibz