[Denied]Item: Grab Bag

For those of you who don't know, a grab bag booth is basically a place where mystery prizes are sold, usually inside of paper bags. For example, you buy one for $2 and you could get anything from a $.25 plastic toy to a $15 gift card or something - prizes change depending on the price the booth charges for bags.

How this would work in Pokemmo: Players can buy a bag (or possibly a TM grab bag, item grab bag, pokemon grab bag, and so on) and receive a random TM/item/Pokemon. Drop rates could be adjusted for rarer stuff. By charging an arm and a leg for it (say, $100,000 pokedollars or something) it could be an effective moneysink, and could also bring some value to money. Players could get fossil pokemon and eevees and such from grab bags, but could also get magikarps and caterpies and crap like that. Could also be a way to implement legendaries at obscenely low rates in the future, but I don't want to start an argument so I'll ignore that for now.

Could also award a random TM/item, or have TM/item grab bags available for a different price than pokemon grab bags.

If you flame this thread, I will post in comic sans on all of your threads

For those of you who don't know, a grab bag booth is basically a place where mystery prizes are sold, usually inside of paper bags. For example, you buy one for $2 and you could get anything from a $.25 plastic toy to a $15 gift card or something - prizes change depending on the price the booth charges for bags.

How this would work in Pokemmo: Players can buy a bag (or possibly a TM grab bag, item grab bag, pokemon grab bag, and so on) and receive a random TM/item/Pokemon. Drop rates could be adjusted for rarer stuff. By charging an arm and a leg for it (say, $100,000 pokedollars or something) it could be an effective moneysink, and could also bring some value to money. Players could get fossil pokemon and eevees and such from grab bags, but could also get magikarps and caterpies and crap like that. Could also be a way to implement legendaries at obscenely low rates in the future, but I don't want to start an argument so I'll ignore that for now.

Could also award a random TM/item, or have TM/item grab bags available for a different price than pokemon grab bags.

The legendary would have to have a disgustingly low chance. Like 1 in 10 million

100k is chump change to people. With cashstacks approaching 100million, I would suggest "grab bags" if implemented, to be based on price by their potential prizes.

Small Bag=500k-1m (Berries, Low items such as Potions, Poke balls, Antidotes, etc)

Small Bag Pokemon: Caterpie, Pidgey, Rattata, Weedle, etc

Chance of Low Tier Items: 100%

Medium Bag=1m-5m (Medium Tier Berries, Medium items such as great balls, low tier TMs, etc)

Medium Bag Pokemon: Pikachu, Growlithe, Slowpoke, Seel, etc

Chance of getting medium bag items: 15%

Chance of getting small bag items in medium bag: 85%

Large Bag=5m-15m (Higher Tier Berries, High Tier Items such as Ultra Balls, Max Repels, Hyper Potions, etc, mid tier TMS)

Large Bag Pokemon: (Complete Evolutions of common and uncommonly found pokemon)

Chance of getting Large Bag Items: 10%

Chance of getting Medium Bag Items: 35%

Chance of getting Small Bag Items: 55%

Huge Bag=15m-30m (Held Items, Best Tier Berries, High Tier Items: Full Restore, Max Revives, etc, High Tier TMs)

Huge Bag Pokemon: (Rarely found Pokemon, Chansey, Mr. Mime, Gyrados, Lapras, etc)

Chance of getting Huge Bag Items: 1%

Chance of getting Large Bag Items: 15%

Chance of getting Medium Bag Items: 50%

Chance of getting Small Bag Items: 34%

This is the only way I can see this sort of thing being implemented, if at all.

-thumbs up-

Stuff that wasn't really thought out too well.

So yeah, this wouldn't work in the slightest considering you can buy 99x of each of those items for 1/10 of the price you list for the bag. 15mil for a "Rare" (Uncommon[Except Gyarados]) Pokemon? Come on... Do you know how much time it takes to acquire that money? Sure it's a faceroll, but even so it takes time. I could shit out a box full of Chansey in the time it would take you to get 1 mil.

This is a cute idea that I'd like to see some support for players to run (as a sort of constellation prize in tournaments) but any kind of "shop" that the game runs with this kind of prize wouldn't really work well unless it was strictly TMs. It would be a way to make TMs renewable and still not have a straight buy-this-TM option.

I see your point that selling pokemon in shops might not flow too well, but imo a pokemon-only grab bag *could* work in the game corner at some point, even if not soon. Keep in mind, even if someone rolls an aerodactyl, it still can have shitty ivs and be modest.

Also, I don't think fully-evolved pokemon should be available in bags, just because that either A. seriously screw up low level tourneys if all the pokemon come at a set level, or B. churn out a bunch of crappy arcanines/victreebels/stuff that doesn't evolve until level 35+, and try and rip off new players.

The entire point isnt to encourage people to buy the bags. It's to have a viable money sink to those who have massive amounts of excess cash.

Thats why they cost so much. They arent supposed to be realistic money makers, it's gambling for pixels.

Consider the fact that you aren't guaranteed to get anything good in the first few bags. 100,000 seems like a nice money sink considering you are going to have to buy upwards of 2,000,000 poke dollars worth of bags before you get anything remotely valuable. And even then, it could be a modest aerodactyl as Desu Hater said.

I like this idea.

Assuming random chances on getting certain things, and assuming the 'rare' or 'strong' pokemon have random IVs/Natures as well, there's no need to inflate the cost of one bag to millions and millions of pokedollars. Around ~150k for a grab bag would be fine, escalating per tier for a reasonable amount, because realistically, people will need to buy several bags before getting anything worthwhile.

It would also make money worth more in trades, when money trading comes out.

I like this idea.

Assuming random chances on getting certain things, and assuming the 'rare' or 'strong' pokemon have random IVs/Natures as well, there's no need to inflate the cost of one bag to millions and millions of pokedollars. Around ~150k for a grab bag would be fine, escalating per tier for a reasonable amount, because realistically, people will need to buy several bags before getting anything worthwhile.

It would also make money worth more in trades, when money trading comes out.

I agree, no one is dumb enough to buy a ridiculously high priced bag that is full of craps..

Imagine spending a whole week or two just to get 30m, and you'll only get an item that can be bought in a shop for a low price or a pokemon with crappy ivs/nature.. o.o

• 5 months later...

This is very similar to the risky chest

Here are my 2cents:
I think 1mil is a ridiculus amount of money, though I like the concept.
How about having prices range from 500-250,000$
500$: 50%pokeball, 45%potion, 4.99% a lv 5-10 pidgey, spearow, catepie weedle etc (random), 0.01% (maybe even less) rarer pokemon (like scyther, lapras, eevee etc), should be avaliable from viridian, so newbies can risk it.
1000$: 25% pokeball/potion, 25% lv 10-15 common pokemon, 25% great ball/repel, 20% semi rare pokemon, 4.99% ultraball/max repel, <0.01% rare pokemon
Etc...
Until 250,000: 50% eevee, 5% each of: lapras, scyther, kanga, chansey, tauros, and other pokemon with <1% encounter rates, and low catch rates. 1% egg, 1% bagon/aron/absol, 0.00000000000000000.....00001% legendary when implemented.

Getting 250,000$ isn't too hard, a few rounds of resort gorgeous+E4 should do it, especially with amulet coin and/or payday. imo this is quite balanced as they both have cooldowns (20&6 hours respectively), as opposed to 1-2 hours of gc grinding to get eevee/scyther, but that has no cooldown, so you can do that for as long as you want.

Prices and prizes are debateable

I guess because of the wide range of people and amount of money they have, it's quite hard to decide on how much money things like this should be. some can buy 99 ultra balls, easily, some still struggle to buy even 10 great balls.

The risky chest would be more fair, as everyone needs to work equally hard to get enough coins

Imagine spending a whole week or two just to get 30m...

wtf are you people?!?! Do you ever sleep? I play for more than a month and only Got 5m (Wasn't playing in game corner at all or wasting money other ways) but two times every day with amulet coin I collect money from e4 and island ladies.

-1 to all "risky chests", don't bring gambling to pokemmo please.