Weird question about GYM rematch rules

Would a full team of gengars with destiny bond be a OP strategy against gym rematches? Or is there some kinda rule or something that would stop this in its tracks? 

Theory strategy:

Take out the first gym leaders pokemon with a normal move from a gengar. Then spam destiny bond sacrificing all but one of your gengars? Rince and repeat for all gym leaders? 

Edited by VincentDefo

it's not a banned strategy it's just that there are strategies to beat the gyms way faster. My favorite is a rain team pelipper kingdra ludicolo all have surf and then maybe one more sweeper. Some people also like to use torkoal and typhlosion with eruption and i think you can do tyranitar or hippowdown with excadrill sand rush and earthquake. These would all be faster ways of defeating the gyms than the destiny bond strategy. but no to answer the main question it's not banned just that there are better and faster ways to beat the gyms. especially now that amulet coin is consumable and it runs out after one hour.  

On 9/1/2019 at 5:34 PM, VincentDefo said:

Would a full team of gengars with destiny bond be a OP strategy against gym rematches? Or is there some kinda rule or something that would stop this in its tracks? 

Theory strategy:

Take out the first gym leaders pokemon with a normal move from a gengar. Then spam destiny bond sacrificing all but one of your gengars? Rince and repeat for all gym leaders? 

Not really no because you'd have to use Mean Look as well to trap them otherwise there is a chance the AI could switch out and ruin everything.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:58 PM, XelaKebert said:

Not really no because you'd have to use Mean Look as well to trap them otherwise there is a chance the AI could switch out and ruin everything.

You're correct on this. I often times try to hide a move that the AI won't know that I have on the side (Ice Beam Starmie for Lt. Surge's Victreebel).

As Xela mentioned, don't do any tricks like this or the AI could ruin it for you. Instead, try the tactic that I mentioned in parentheses.

14 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

You're correct on this. I often times try to hide a move that the AI won't know that I have on the side (Ice Beam Starmie for Lt. Surge's Victreebel).

As Xela mentioned, don't do any tricks like this or the AI could ruin it for you. Instead, try the tactic that I mentioned in parentheses.

But AI gets hacks and can "predict" some moves and throw out a pokemon that resists it

On 9/3/2019 at 3:58 PM, XelaKebert said:

I think you are confusing destiny bound with curse here. Not saying switch from the npc won't be an issue but it doesn't seem like it would ruin everything.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:06 AM, ThePrettyPetard said:

I think you are confusing destiny bound with curse here. Not saying switch from the npc won't be an issue but it doesn't seem like it would ruin everything.

Once they AI switches, the target is no longer subject to Destiny Bond meaning you'd have to use it again. Also bearing in mind that Destiny Bond only works if it is KO'd that turn unless it operates on Gen 7 rules, in which case the only way to remove the effects of Destiny Bond is a switch. So no, I know what I am referring to. It ruins the strategy if the AI is able to switch out as you have to use Destiny Bond again which effectively wastes a turn. Hence why Mean Look is typically combined with it so that the target is trapped and forced to attack.

8 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

Once they AI switches, the target is no longer subject to Destiny Bond meaning you'd have to use it again. Also bearing in mind that Destiny Bond only works if it is KO'd that turn unless it operates on Gen 7 rules, in which case the only way to remove the effects of Destiny Bond is a switch. So no, I know what I am referring to. It ruins the strategy if the AI is able to switch out as you have to use Destiny Bond again which effectively wastes a turn. Hence why Mean Look is typically combined with it so that the target is trapped and forced to attack.

I googled it to check the gen 7 mechanic for destiny bound and i don't see why npc switching would be that bad of a thing unless it just switched every turn until you don't have any destiny bound left to use. Yes there is a fairly decent chance you will wast your turn using it but mean look won't help much with that. Taunt might give better result honestly. I know npc are smarter here but i doubt that they where made to outright ruin some good move unless you have a second one to be able to use it.

19 hours ago, ThePrettyPetard said:

I googled it to check the gen 7 mechanic for destiny bound and i don't see why npc switching would be that bad of a thing unless it just switched every turn until you don't have any destiny bound left to use. Yes there is a fairly decent chance you will wast your turn using it but mean look won't help much with that. Taunt might give better result honestly. I know npc are smarter here but i doubt that they where made to outright ruin some good move unless you have a second one to be able to use it.

I mean, if you want a better shot at making it work you could use Wobuffet with Destiny Bond. Shadow Tag with the passive trap so you don't need a slot wasted and then run moves like Taunt or Encore. It's more a matter of, if the AI takes states like Destiny Bond and Perish Song into effect, it will switch until you are out of PP. It's always better the trap the target of those moves to prevent the opponent from switching, unless that is your goal.