Attack vs. Speed Natures and Hitmonchan Case

StarmieHaxorusHydreigon

Based on the % characteristic of the natures, it would be the most beneficial to increase the highest stat of particular pokemon. For example:

Starmie: Speed > Sp. Attack; most beneficial would be Timid

Haxorus: Attack > Speed; most beneficial would be Adamant

Hydreigon: Sp. Attack > Speed; mot beneficial would be Modest

Q1: Is it worth to go for Speed nature on Haxorus or Hydreigon (because their Attack and Sp. Attack is high enough and they have to outspeed other Sweepers) or is it better to go for Adamant Modest nature?

Hitmonchan

Other example: let's say that i want to make semi-"competitive" Hitmonchan. I like its' elemental punches and i want to use him. Since i'm not a competitive player at all, I will use Smogon for reference.

Hitmonchan: Sp. Defense > Attack > Speed; most beneficial would be Careful or Adamant

Q2: Some players recommend Adamant or Jolly nature with Attack and Speed EV. But since Hitmonchans' Speed is really low, is it worth to boost it via Nature?

Q3: Do people usually use Jolly nature with Speed EV because is it just enough to outspeed other pokemon in Hitmonchans' Tier?

If i really wannt to play Hitmonchan in OU, what would you recommend?

1) Adamant Hitmonchan with Attack and HP EV?

2) Adamant Hitmonchan with Attack and Speed EV? Or is it not good at all due to Hitmonchans' poor speed?

3) Jolly Hitmonchan with Attack and Speed EV? Or is it not good at all because he will be slow anyway against other Sweepers?

4) Careful Hitmonchan with Attack and HP or Sp. Def EV? Or is it not good at all due to Hitmonchans' poor Type Effectiveness?

Your current analysis is "in the vacuum" and Pokemon is a game where you cannot make competitive decisions like that. You need to look at the metagame. Is there something I want to outspeed in this tier? Is there something that if it outsped me I would be in trouble? You need to figure out what you want to beat and choose your nature accordingly.

Imo, adamant seems better if you are using mach punch. But as Orange stated, you gotta first check the tier and ask yourself some stuff.

On top of my mind:

- Do I want to outspeed non speedy nature  breloom? Or Dragonite? Or metagross? These 3 are probs the most important to consider. Other stuff in the speed range can be hurt by mach punch or is inaccessible no matter the nature (There is modest kingdra too but more often than not those will be under rain so I didnt list it there)

Edit: For the second question, Im afraid I cant help much with haxorus, even tho I think jolly is preferred. For Hydreigon, I have used pretty much all possible variants and for an offensive one, you need to first know if you want hydra to wallbreak or to sweep. Both modest and timid are viable, but have different jobs.

Edited by pachima

Nature would always depends on moveset and your playstyle. Particulary i think best nature for Hitmonchan is Adamant. And 76 stat speed is not poor, actually it is really good for this wallbreaker role, poor speed is 50 or less stat base but also on this cases you have to study if some evs invest would give you some adventages.

So my answer is Adamant 252 Atack and 252 Speed for Hitmonchan.

About Hydreigon and Haxorus also depends on their sets so this are my answers for them:

Hydreigon: Choise Scarf Modest, Choise Spects Timid, Taunt Timid.

Haxourus: Choise Band Adamant, Swords Dance Jolly, Dragon Dance Jolly.