Regarding permabans

So,

Yesterday I got tired of beating up Piloswines to level up my Scizor to 100 and thought to myself "Hey, I can automate this!". So I wrote a dumb script to do it for me, left it running for a couple of hours and came back to find my account permabanned.

Now, first things first: I'm stupid. I did not read the Code of Conduct, I broke the rules, I very much deserve to be banned.

That being said, a permaban feels harsh. It never really occurred to me (because, as mentioned; I'm stupid) that an xp-grinding script might land me any significant advantage over other players, as the nature of the competitive scene is much more of a strategical one rather than "who grinded the most xp?" (which is why I've never really played any other MMO before). I spent quite some time enjoying this game, building a team and all it took was one stupid decision to lose my account forever.

Having now read the flaring red text that says "If you have used macro / scripting software or bought gold from other players, you have lost your account forever. Please do not waste time." I have very slim hopes of ever seeing my account back, but at least I'm hoping that my account and this post can be a testament to other players to not be stupid like me.

Also: I'm obviously biased in this question, but is a permaban a reasonable punishment for first time offenders? Personally I think a very long temporary ban (like, a month or so) followed by a permaban for second time offenders feels more fair, and I don't really see how that would cause more work for moderators. (I would expect less, as fewer people would falsely appeal bans.) I would very much like to see some civilized discussion about this.

Have a wonderful day!

Claritux

Its not harsh. Next time read ToS and CC. The game isnt only about competitive, in fact most players are casual players so yep.

Also visit the ban appeal section, here you wont get answers from the team buddy, they might take a bit of time to answer, but you'll get your answer

Edited by razimove
4 minutes ago, razimove said:

Its not harsh. Next time read ToS and CC. The game isnt only about competitive, in fact most players are casual players so yep. 

Also visit the ban appeal section, here you wont get answers from the team buddy, they might take a bit of time to answer, but you'll get your answer 

It feels harsh, I'm not saying it's objectively harsh, but it feels harsh. And I'm not appealing my ban, so I don't think the ban appeal section is the right fora for this.

10 minutes ago, ComradeClaritux said:

It feels harsh, I'm not saying it's objectively harsh, but it feels harsh. And I'm not appealing my ban, so I don't think the ban appeal section is the right fora for this.

Just do it, who knows maybe you get a bit of luck. I don't doubt it feels harsh, and I can even tell you in the past they warned people before banning etc, but the staff was different too, and they were not detected by their automated method like you probably did, therefor why I told you to appeal. Ths new behavior might be due to the chinese influx and their amount of botters aswell idk.

5 minutes ago, razimove said:

Just do it, who knows maybe you get a bit of luck. I don't doubt it feels harsh, and I can even tell you in the past they warned people before banning etc, but the staff was different too, and they were not detected by their automated method like you probably did, therefor why I told you to appeal. Ths new behavior might be due to the chinese influx and their amount of botters aswell idk.

I hear you say that, but I don't think it gets much more clear than this that I don't really have a case, so I won't. This post was meant more as a general discussion of the rules and a warning to other players to read the ToS and CC. I might make a new account and come back to the game later, but for now I'm done.

Yeah probably feels pretty harsh for some exp bot, i feel you, but i think scrpting should be punished this hard, especially if you could gain lots of money if you scripted something for shiny hunting or item farming. As it is pretty difficult to find out the true motive why someone scripted, the max penalty should always be applied. 

Also 2 minutes of asking global or staff would/could prevent such cases.

2 hours ago, WildHodor said:

Yeah probably feels pretty harsh for some exp bot, i feel you, but i think scrpting should be punished this hard, especially if you could gain lots of money if you scripted something for shiny hunting or item farming. As it is pretty difficult to find out the true motive why someone scripted, the max penalty should always be applied. 

Also 2 minutes of asking global or staff would/could prevent such cases.

Yeah, in retrospective it's pretty darn obvious why any sort of scripting would be disallowed, but I think my suggestion would separate people being stupid one time from repeating offenders without encouraging the big bots.

4 hours ago, ComradeClaritux said:

That being said, a permaban feels harsh. It never really occurred to me (because, as mentioned; I'm stupid) that an xp-grinding script might land me any significant advantage over other players, as the nature of the competitive scene is much more of a strategical one rather than "who grinded the most xp?"

Hello,

In the short term, you might not see a clear problem here, but it's obvious when you will look at it at a larger scale. Any unfair advantage that any automatic program provides multiplied x times gives players who played in a fair way huge disadvantage - and will encourage at least trying it to get some help in this way.

We believe that fair experience is the one where all players compete in all aspects of the game in the same style. 

Our all players can read the: CoC and ToS on our site anytime, and rules of the game are displayed also when you are first opening your freshly made account.

That being said, we will not look into a change of the outcome of botting in the game. Due to this, I will close this thread now.

Have a nice day!