suggestion about adding a player 's shiny state

BlueNose

Question

i sugguest that players who meet or breed a shiny pokemmon should be excluded from shiny judgement ,and this state will keep some online time(i havent thougth about how many hours online should be yet)

Reason:

ok,i must remetion my guess on shiny judgement,in a word, pokemon distribution decides players distribution,and makes some areas a big sample,there is a high rate to meet a shiny pokemon in these big sample area ,and luckiest player but not hardest working player will get this chance.So if you are lucky enough,you can meet a shiny in this big sample area and get another shiny pokemon when moving to another big sample area.

Give  one fact I've seen recently, this player meet  a shiny sixtales in Abundant Shrine at 11 am and then meet a shiny Litwick in Celestial Tower at 2 pm(maybe i remebered the wrong time,but he got this two shiny pokemon in short intervals and showed on local chanel)

Even more legendary is that i saw a player who meet 2 shiny pokemons in half hour in the same area,Shiny Skarmory and Shiny Donphan in SevaultCanyon,i still have the screenshot and these players' IGN.

Everyone has a 1/30,000 shiny rate, it seems fair when you play offline game,but pokemmo is a online game,i think 

there will be super lucky guy and super unlucky guy in a  pure or close pure rate online game. 1/30,000,the extremly low rate leads to the slow occurrence of shiny events which covers up the unfair facts.

i think that adding this state will make game more fair and designer dont need to spend a lot of energy modifying existing system.

But there must be some incompleteness in my thinking.thank you for your patient reading and welcome dicussion.

1 answer to this question

First off, in regard to people being "Lucky" and "Unlucky" it is possible to attempt to normalise rates but you can never fully remove variance in a desirable way.
The number of people who encounter a shiny and then another one in the same day are very very low, we only remember them because of observational bias (we tend to remember unusual things we have heard / seen, but don't remember the "Normal" occurrences).

What you have described is akin to "Bad Luck Protection" where upon failing to obtain something through RNG after a certain number of tries the game begins to adjust the chance of you finding that thing until it gets very likely and basically says "okay that's enough, you're about due a shiny" and pops one out. Bad luck protection, if considered as a feature, would likely result in the base rate for Shinies being nerfed (e.g. from 1/30,000 --> 1/60,000 or something) but cause each encounter you find to increase the chance you find a shiny until after about 30,000 attempts it starts to become not that rare until you finally find on and the rate resets back to the 1/60,000 so you're unlikely to find a shiny.

But this has some problems:

1. First off, what we are talking about is a problem exclusive to people who are extremely Lucky or Unlucky, which is an astronomically small portion of the playerbase. This typically means that a change is less necessary because it isn't affecting majority of the playerbase. (it at least makes it a lower priority issue).
  2. If Bad Luck Protection (BLP) is added then shiny hunters etc will start to manipulate their behaviour to maximise their shiny chances. After finding a shiny pokemon they won't bother shiny hunting and will go back to training their pokemon by EV training on x5 Hordes etc for a while until they feel like they've gotten enough encounters to get a somewhat decent shiny rate. After this they will just go to a rare shiny location and hunt there for a period of time and eventually find it.
    1. This could be mitigated by having the BLP be species based, but then it's impractical and doesn't help anyone and becomes super difficult to balance, to the point where I don't think it's actually feasible to balance.
  3. This still doesn't prevent someone from finding two shinies in a row, it just makes it less likely, and makes it less likely you'll go your entire life without finding one. But RNG will always be RNG, it'll just make you more upset at the super duper lucky people because it's even more unlikely than currently (so you get envious) and it will make people who still don't find shinies for ages feel upset because they'll start thinking their BLP is bugged or they are the most unlucky person in the world.
  4. This last one is something players don't really consider but in order to track how many pokemon a person has encountered in order to contribute to BLP it means every character server-side has to have memory allocated to counting how many things they've encountered, taking up extra memory for every character is something that typically wants to be avoided if at all possible for the sake of efficiency, and we can't store it client side because then people cheat. (though I'm no coder / developer etc so I could be wrong on how much this matters in practice however).

Lastly, you've mentioned that typically it is the luckiest player and not the hardest working players that will find shinies, this is true in low sample sizes (and for common shinies) but to find a consistent number of shinies which are not commons (like Tentacruel, Rattata etc) a player has to devote time and effort to hunting in a spot for a very long time and investing resources (e.g. Leppas) These people find far more shinies than anyone even with extreme luck (if the lucky people don't even hunt in the first place). Again, observational bias is a very real thing.