Jump to content
  • 1

Question

Hello, 

I would like to request PokeMMO for iOS. Many people have said that side loading an app would be a bad move because of application revokes. Here's the catch. You CAN still get apps without a jailbreak and without revokes on iOS with Cydia Impactor so please at least try to develop the game and make sure that it is an IPA file so the Nintendo Ninjas don't come after you guys because you put it in the app store. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Just to add to this. Yes it is possible to get your own apps onto your iDevice without jailbreaking. All you need is an iDevice (obviously), a computer (obviously) with itunes and impactor. Then you need an apple account (obviously) and then you can throw on any IPA onto your device. I did this with a Nintendo DS emulator (iNDS) and it works great.

 

The emulator runs great and has a built in browser for getting ROMS, though I am fairly certain that having dropbox/google drive integration would allow you to connect a cloud drive with ROMS to simplify the process a bit. Android gets PokeMMO, I really with IOS did as well!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

The main issue is you'd have to resign and reset it up every week. Not the absolute worst thing in the world but certainly annoying.

 

As an iPhone user I'd love this but at the same time I can see why they wouldn't want it.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 hours ago, JonAMoore said:

The main issue is you'd have to resign and reset it up every week. Not the absolute worst thing in the world but certainly annoying.

 

As an iPhone user I'd love this but at the same time I can see why they wouldn't want it.

I installed an IPA and never once had to resign or reset it. Still works after 3 months with no problems, acts like any old app. Maybe updates might be tedious but that is a small price to pay IMO since plugging in and installing a new IPA only has to be done for client side updates

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

This gets suggested all the time and I'm really skeptical that it will ever happen because iOS is just so much harder to work with outside of the app store. I don't think the devs are interested in fighting an uphill battle with Apple just to get the game on there.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

the buildstore is an option. its a service that offers emulators and other tweaked apps for IOS devices without them getting revoked for £10 a year. the url is builds.io

Edited by Decrato

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Imagine buying a device that restricts all your freedom , and expecting to run things you like on it.

Just get an Android phone guys, it's really worth the upgrade.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, Laz said:

Imagine buying a device that restricts all your freedom , and expecting to run things you like on it.

Just get an Android phone guys, it's really worth the upgrade.

 

Imagine owning a super fast phone that is easily capable of running the latest OS but your brand of choice (samsung) didn't think you needed it so you are stuck in the past unless you do their work for them. Meanwhile my iPhone 6s from 2015 still runs the latest software just fine with no hassle.

 

Just get an Apple phone, so you can actually use it for as long as it can run

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, RIchardZheng said:

Imagine owning a super fast phone that is easily capable of running the latest OS but your brand of choice (samsung) didn't think you needed it so you are stuck in the past unless you do their work for them. Meanwhile my iPhone 6s from 2015 still runs the latest software just fine with no hassle.

 

Just get an Apple phone, so you can actually use it for as long as it can run

So, by your logic my iPhone 3 should be able to run the latest version of iOS, which it won't because it does not meet minimum requirements. When the next generation of iPhone is released Apple will no longer support the iPhone 6 on the latest iOS updates. That is not something that is exclusive to Android so please know what you are talking about before you start making such statements. Hardware deprecation is an industry wide thing and will continue to happen as technology matures and improves. Your statement is objectively wrong.

 

From researching whether or not it's possible to use the same codebase for iOS, it is possible, but requires an extra tool for iOS to make it work called Oracle ADF Mobile. That tool allows you to build your apps using Java such that they can run cross platform. However, more work would need to be done to ensure the client code could be developed in that environment and would properly. If the devs aren't already using it, odds are it may be more work than it is worth to change environments considering iOS only makes up about 15% of the total mobile market share. 

 

https://dzone.com/articles/oracle-gets-java-running-ios

https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/os

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, XelaKebert said:

So, by your logic my iPhone 3 should be able to run the latest version of iOS, which it won't because it does not meet minimum requirements. When the next generation of iPhone is released Apple will no longer support the iPhone 6 on the latest iOS updates. That is not something that is exclusive to Android so please know what you are talking about before you start making such statements. Hardware deprecation is an industry wide thing and will continue to happen as technology matures and improves. Your statement is objectively wrong.

 

From researching whether or not it's possible to use the same codebase for iOS, it is possible, but requires an extra tool for iOS to make it work called Oracle ADF Mobile. That tool allows you to build your apps using Java such that they can run cross platform. However, more work would need to be done to ensure the client code could be developed in that environment and would properly. If the devs aren't already using it, odds are it may be more work than it is worth to change environments considering iOS only makes up about 15% of the total mobile market share. 

 

https://dzone.com/articles/oracle-gets-java-running-ios

https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/os

Hardware depreciation is indeed a thing, but many android phones get much shorter support than iPhones do.

 

My iPhone 6s from 2015 will have IOS 13 support, which is the latest IOS version.

 

The Samsung S7 from mid 2016 only runs andoid 8.0 while andoid 9.0 exists.

 

Both phones will eventually not support the latest software version, but one will last a bit longer than the other.

 

Also while Apple might have the lower market share, the revenue generated by the app store was 46 billion while android's google play store's revenue was 24.8 billion. So sure there are fewer Apple users, but those that do have Apple devices spend more on apps, which could make all that effort well worth it

 

Even mobile game revenue (specifically mobile games) in 2018 was 33 billion on App Store and 21.5 billion on the Play Store.

 

Sure it's a lot of work and installing would be much harder than getting something from the app store, but is still not exactly a hard process by any means

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
21 hours ago, RIchardZheng said:

Hardware depreciation is indeed a thing, but many android phones get much shorter support than iPhones do.

 

My iPhone 6s from 2015 will have IOS 13 support, which is the latest IOS version.

 

The Samsung S7 from mid 2016 only runs andoid 8.0 while andoid 9.0 exists.

 

Both phones will eventually not support the latest software version, but one will last a bit longer than the other.

 

Also while Apple might have the lower market share, the revenue generated by the app store was 46 billion while android's google play store's revenue was 24.8 billion. So sure there are fewer Apple users, but those that do have Apple devices spend more on apps, which could make all that effort well worth it

 

Even mobile game revenue (specifically mobile games) in 2018 was 33 billion on App Store and 21.5 billion on the Play Store.

 

Sure it's a lot of work and installing would be much harder than getting something from the app store, but is still not exactly a hard process by any means

Android has a more rapid development cycle than iOS and Android manufacturers are constantly improving their hardware whereas Apple is forcing users to get permission from them to get a new battery otherwise they will hide battery info from you. Revenue generated by App Store is irrelevant because PokeMMO is free as is. 15% of the market share, while statistically significant, also means that less members of the community have iOS devices. This topic has been brought up by only a handful of users and every single time there is an insignificant number of users saying they would want the client on iOS, which shows that it's less likely that the payoff is actually worth the effort in the first place. The devs had reached a conclusion a while back that iOS users are an edge case for mobile development. Whether or not that opinion has changed I cannot say, but odds are great it has not changed at all since the mobile client was released for Android.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.